Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Utterly Sick of It 21:55 - Sep 17 with 26149 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Our club competes for three competitions every year.
We toss off two of them.

In doing so, we disrespect those two competitions, our opponents, and ourselves.

I will never, never understand it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Utterly Sick of It on 07:38 - Sep 18 with 1918 viewsdm97

Utterly Sick of It on 07:27 - Sep 18 by GaryBannister86

I don't think anyone is denying the realities that Palace are far stronger than us, or even that our strongest team would probably have lost anyway.

I'm 50 years old. If I stay well for another 30 years I would like to see is in a cup semi final. I am not asking for much really. I won't even remember the Millwall result in a year's time.

If we had played our strongest 11 (I know we had injuries) and lost like that I would have been uncomplaining. To "get some game time" into players - who cares? It's a knockout round of a major competition. PLAY YOUR ****** BEST AVAILABLE TEAM.

The only manager who ever had an excuse was Warnock. We were top. Real chance. I didn't agree with that either. We had a good side, could have had a deep cup run. It isn't terminal for your league prospects to have that, is it? Where is the proof of that?

Do you think Warburton was still right to "rest" a flying-at-the-time Willock for the Peterboro FA Cup game? A defeat from which we then spiralled down the table anyway?

“Play your best team”:
So when does Ashby get a chance? Or Saito acclimatise? Or Celar try and find form? We’ve invested in a squad this season for this very reason. To be able to rotate, for league and cup games, without dropping the quality of the performance by a division. We were not bad last night. The idea our best eleven (which would have been maybe 3-5 players different?) would have made a huge difference is pie in the sky.

“Doesn’t matter where you are in champs”:
Agree this doesn’t apply to us right now, but it definitely p does impact promotion hunts. Look at boro and Cov last year, injuries suspensions etc, boro get to LC semi and get battered 6-1 on agg by the scum and never really recover in league. Cov have an unbelievable day out but league form goes off a cliff and don’t make play offs.

“Was Warbs right to rest Willock”:
Every single person moaning on this thread would have moaned if Willock played and got his hammy injury in that cup game, lambasting Warbs Warburton for not managing his minutes.

Some of the comments comparing MC to McLaren et al are a joke. He isn’t playing f**** Aaron Drewe and Charlie Kelman lads, he’s playing players we’ve brought in for wedge and rotating a decent squad. That’s okay.
[Post edited 18 Sep 7:39]
Utterly Sick of It (n/t) on 07:40 - Sep 18 with 1911 viewsmart_Goblin

Utterly Sick of It (n/t) on 07:26 - Sep 18 by vanrrrr

Went along last night and am a bit surprised at all the negativity today. Thought we gave it a go as best we could vs a strong team that Palace put out - with some bright performances . First half were we passive or did Palace press up and give little space to play? Seemed the latter from the Loft.

I was more annoyed sitting there wondering how we have fallen sooo far behind Palace as a club. Many of us will have grown up ruling the roost over them…. Miles away now. Depressed me walking home.
[Post edited 18 Sep 7:32]

Exactly this .

Hard watch at times but positives to take too .
I sat back in my seat midway through the second half and had exactly the same thoughts as that second paragraph. So annoyed by being so far behind a club like Palace these days .
Utterly Sick of It on 07:48 - Sep 18 with 1831 viewsGaryBannister86

Certainly not comparing MC to McLaren. Don't even think it is particularly a Marti thing, more a modern day, club thing.

I couldn't give a flying rat's tail about giving a Newcastle loanee or even Saito or Celar minutes - can't we do that when we are 3-0 up against Millwall as obviously we will be now we rested some of our best players?

I mean why El Tel played Waddock in the 1982 semi final when Gary Burke (?) was desperate for some game time, I just don't know.

I just find it all a bit Ainsworth. Heads held high, didn't embarrass ourselves, privilege to be on the same pitch, ooh look at their striker they bought for £30m.

We are QPR not Yeading. We are a decent-sized club. Show it.
Utterly Sick of It on 07:55 - Sep 18 with 1739 viewsnix

Utterly Sick of It on 01:07 - Sep 18 by 1BobbyHazell

I think people are winding themselves up a bit here. That was not a really weakened team full of kids and Hamalainens like we may have played in the past.

We've just paid millions for Celar, Madsen and Varane, we've all acknowledged they need minutes to develop and get used to English football and now we're losing our sh*t because the manager had the temerity to start them in a match in a 3 game week! Bit OTT.

Many have already talked about Walsh pushing Nardi and being the keeper of the future but now we must never play him in any game and he should just train and sit on the bench for a year!

If you think Frey can play the best part of 90 minutes 3 times a week you haven't been paying attention. He's had one great game and now Celar must never start?

Dembele was the only obvious quality miss and he still got a half, let's not Willock him to death just yet. He'll be playing more than enough minutes and taking more than enough kickings this season.

It's like some have already forgotten we were absolute dog turd against Wednesday, we made some changes and put in a far superior showing today against some excellent players. I can't see how Colback and Frey would have made much of a difference.

I'll give you Jimmy Dunne, always Jimmy Dunne.
[Post edited 18 Sep 1:09]

I agree.

Celar was actually playing against CDs that included a current England defender and a recent Bundesliga and current Premier player playing pretty much on his own up front. Bit harsh to judge his progress against those players. Cups give the manager the chance to give players extra minutes.

Still a bit early in the season to write players off. Varane had a cracking match and the cup gave him the chance to play 90 minutes and Marti a chance to assess a few players in a competitive match.

I know we all want to see a cup run but while we're only three points from the play offs, we're also still three points from the relegation places. I can understand Marti wanting to focus on the league at this stage of the season. I'm not sure I can face another scramble for points in the latter stage of the season that we experienced last season.
Utterly Sick of It on 07:59 - Sep 18 with 1715 viewsGus_iom

Utterly Sick of It on 00:14 - Sep 18 by Northernr

Yeh I'd be interested to know what's gone on with EDB because you compare the confident, forward thinking, progressive boy that played at Coventry last day of last season to whatever the hell that was tonight and it's stark.

I saw the same EDB, albeit on TV and not at the game, that I've always seen - technically very good, but not involved enough. I find him hugely frustrating, as he has the skill set, physique etc, but I've never seen him impose himself on a game.
Utterly Sick of It on 08:01 - Sep 18 with 1702 viewsGaryBannister86

Utterly Sick of It on 07:55 - Sep 18 by nix

I agree.

Celar was actually playing against CDs that included a current England defender and a recent Bundesliga and current Premier player playing pretty much on his own up front. Bit harsh to judge his progress against those players. Cups give the manager the chance to give players extra minutes.

Still a bit early in the season to write players off. Varane had a cracking match and the cup gave him the chance to play 90 minutes and Marti a chance to assess a few players in a competitive match.

I know we all want to see a cup run but while we're only three points from the play offs, we're also still three points from the relegation places. I can understand Marti wanting to focus on the league at this stage of the season. I'm not sure I can face another scramble for points in the latter stage of the season that we experienced last season.

Poor old Celar, he keeps coming up against all these world-class centre backs every time he plays.

Looking forward to judging him properly against the Nuns of the Holy Order's 3rd XI defence when we play them :-)
Utterly Sick of It on 08:02 - Sep 18 with 1684 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Utterly Sick of It on 08:01 - Sep 18 by GaryBannister86

Poor old Celar, he keeps coming up against all these world-class centre backs every time he plays.

Looking forward to judging him properly against the Nuns of the Holy Order's 3rd XI defence when we play them :-)

Made me chuckle.

Utterly Sick of It on 08:05 - Sep 18 with 1645 viewsGus_iom

Utterly Sick of It on 06:53 - Sep 18 by mart_Goblin

Yes I would also agree with this . There were periods in the game where I thought Eze and others had 15 yard ‘no go zones’ around them. I accept that they do have superior players to and we were clearly afraid of being pulled apart, but we rarely put them under any sort of pressure or press . I don’t even remember a bad tackle apart from maybe Smyth’s towards the end . Stick it up a few and see what happens !
I thought the ref also had the mindset of “ palace have better players so everything must be a free kick “ when we did on the odd occasion get near to them .

I thought the ref showed what would happen if we put a hard tackle in. Certainly didn't apply to Hughes or Munoz (or whatever his name is)
Login to get fewer ads

Utterly Sick of It on 08:06 - Sep 18 with 1634 viewsvanrrrr

Utterly Sick of It on 07:59 - Sep 18 by Gus_iom

I saw the same EDB, albeit on TV and not at the game, that I've always seen - technically very good, but not involved enough. I find him hugely frustrating, as he has the skill set, physique etc, but I've never seen him impose himself on a game.

Marti seemed to have him covering at Left back with Paal inverting into midfield in the first half… all very Pep

Seems a typically academy lad to me who needs to play 50 plus games so he can figure out what it takes in champo.
Utterly Sick of It on 08:07 - Sep 18 with 1624 viewsnix

Utterly Sick of It on 08:02 - Sep 18 by BrianMcCarthy

Made me chuckle.

Me too.
Utterly Sick of It on 08:42 - Sep 18 with 1485 viewsconnell10

Sorry mate disagree , i like your post normally! We didnt toss the game off last night we played bloody well in the 2nd half, so credit where credits due!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Utterly Sick of It on 08:50 - Sep 18 with 1425 viewsNed_Kennedys

A bit of small club mentality in some of these posts who seem happy that we didn’t embarrass ourselves last night. Some saying what’s the point of going further in a cup anyhow as only the big teams win etc. If that’s the case why not bother at all in any cup matches ever then?

We were at home under the lights in a London derby against a team in poor form with a nice unbeaten run behind us. Good chance to go further in a cup than we’ve done for years. Based on start to the season we are unlikely to go up or down come May.

Set out with your best team to WIN the game, play Dunne and Dembele etc from the start, hit them hard from the beginning, let them know they’ve been in a game. Leave everything out there. We didn’t.
Utterly Sick of It on 08:53 - Sep 18 with 1420 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Utterly Sick of It on 08:42 - Sep 18 by connell10

Sorry mate disagree , i like your post normally! We didnt toss the game off last night we played bloody well in the 2nd half, so credit where credits due!

That's fair enough, Connell.

I thought that we failed to field our strongest team and that it showed for most of the game. We played better when we brought better players on.

Utterly Sick of It on 08:58 - Sep 18 with 1355 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Utterly Sick of It on 08:50 - Sep 18 by Ned_Kennedys

A bit of small club mentality in some of these posts who seem happy that we didn’t embarrass ourselves last night. Some saying what’s the point of going further in a cup anyhow as only the big teams win etc. If that’s the case why not bother at all in any cup matches ever then?

We were at home under the lights in a London derby against a team in poor form with a nice unbeaten run behind us. Good chance to go further in a cup than we’ve done for years. Based on start to the season we are unlikely to go up or down come May.

Set out with your best team to WIN the game, play Dunne and Dembele etc from the start, hit them hard from the beginning, let them know they’ve been in a game. Leave everything out there. We didn’t.

We only have 2 fit centre backs, if Dunne played and got injured we'd have 1 for Saturday. Then people would be screaming why did he play play Dunne.

MC got it spot on last night.
Utterly Sick of It on 09:00 - Sep 18 with 1344 viewsdaveB

would a full strength side have done any better? Dembele didn't do much when he came on and not sure Anderson would have made much of a difference

I thought we did quite well
Utterly Sick of It on 09:20 - Sep 18 with 1244 viewsNed_Kennedys

Utterly Sick of It on 08:58 - Sep 18 by Wilkinswatercarrier

We only have 2 fit centre backs, if Dunne played and got injured we'd have 1 for Saturday. Then people would be screaming why did he play play Dunne.

MC got it spot on last night.

Whataboutery nonsense.
Following your logic why risk playing Cook or Paal then? Both are essential first ten players at the moment.
Utterly Sick of It on 09:23 - Sep 18 with 1242 viewswestberksr

Utterly Sick of It on 23:55 - Sep 17 by Northernr

I think, fundamentally, I would like it if we'd tackled them every now and again. I accept everything, I know who we are, who they are, where this competition figures. I get it. But you can tackle them. It's okay, you can. It's Palace.

Actually, edit, I think the issue here is I'd rather win tonight than Saturday. I'd have chucked everything at that tonight. But the whole of the sport now disagrees. So I'm just old man shouting at cloud.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I resent you refereeing to yourself as an 'old man' as that makes me somewhere in the range of fecking ancient to dead.......

other than that, carry on ranting.

Marti was damned if he did and damned if he didn't. Goes down as a plucky defeat to Prem team but leaves a bit of an unpleasant taste in the mouth.
Utterly Sick of It on 09:28 - Sep 18 with 1191 viewsTK1

Utterly Sick of It on 23:47 - Sep 17 by Antti_Heinola

hmm...

thought they were in first gear first half, they thought they had it won, but then they struggled a fair bit second half. They only scored through a deflection, it was very fortunate, and they offered little else against a very makeshift back 4 and a reserve goalie.

That's how i saw it. I thought we played well second half and they were surprised by that, scored a flukey winner but we were inches from pens with Lloyd's shot at the end. It was nip and tuck against a very good PL team second half, after we were overawed in the first half and knocked by their opener. I mean, it might have been closer had JCS and Chair been playing, but they're injured.

i find the tone of this thread hysterically flouncy. We have three injured centre backs. That's a fact. Nobody knows how close to the red Dunne or Frey are, and would they have made a Chair-like difference? (No). That was a first team squad who gave it a good go. I feel we also learnt a lot about the relative merits of EDB and Varane. And the "first eleven" played a lot worse at Sheffield Weds. Were they just tossing it off, or are we just not a coherent team yet? I say the later. MC is bedding it all in. Palace have a very settled first 18, to which they've added a £30 million striker.

I really enjoyed the game and the atmosphere. Could have gone either way. Never mind.
Utterly Sick of It on 09:33 - Sep 18 with 1141 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Interesting thread.
OP (who I respect and normally agree with) totally over-reacted imo. We gave it a good go and as Marti keeps re-iterating he needs to get all of our squad players up to the levels that will be required for the season. The injuries forced other changes. We deservedly got level and were on the front foot when they scored. A deflected winner was pretty much the only difference. Palace fans here are very complimentary and feel they got the rub of the green last night.
I honestly do not believe Marti disrespects the Cups.
Utterly Sick of It on 09:44 - Sep 18 with 1078 viewsBklynRanger

Utterly Sick of It on 07:55 - Sep 18 by nix

I agree.

Agree with all of that.

And the comments about it being quite an enjoyable night, despite the scoreline.

AND the comments about being fcuked off that Palace are now so far ahead of us - but I don't see throwing Colback at it for 35 mins and 2 yellows as the answer.
Utterly Sick of It on 09:45 - Sep 18 with 1072 viewsTK1

Utterly Sick of It on 23:55 - Sep 17 by Northernr

I think, fundamentally, I would like it if we'd tackled them every now and again. I accept everything, I know who we are, who they are, where this competition figures. I get it. But you can tackle them. It's okay, you can. It's Palace.

Actually, edit, I think the issue here is I'd rather win tonight than Saturday. I'd have chucked everything at that tonight. But the whole of the sport now disagrees. So I'm just old man shouting at cloud.

This post has been edited by an administrator

But...there were loads of tackles. The biggest cheer from the R Block apart from the goal was when Varane cleared out Munoz with a massive tackle. Smyth could've got a red for a tackle and we got four yellows, all for fouls...there were tackles! But also, tackling Lerma and Eze is hard because they are very good at keeping the ball. I mean, I really didn't see a lack of effort or intent. With Madsen I saw someone who doesn't know how to tackle, really, but like it or not he's our first choice number 8 now. He is full strength.

it was really close. A couple of inches to the right from Lloyd and it's pens. And I don't think we have a team that would've guaranteed a more competitive outcome than that against Palace at the moment. That's a bigger but different problem
I don't imagine anyone in the coaching staff believe they are choosing which games they'd rather win - I think it's closer to crisis than that. They're trying to remain competitive when we are still miles off.
Utterly Sick of It on 09:50 - Sep 18 with 1021 viewsdaveB

Utterly Sick of It on 06:41 - Sep 18 by GaryBannister86

Me too. I get the point that our first team probably wouldn't have won anyway but I will never, ever understand why QPR FC do not try their hardest to win a game that could have led to a tie against Spurs, Utd, City, Liverpool if you are negative or even to be a few wins from the semis if you are positive.

We are a football club. The main aim is to win those shiny trophies.

The difference between 3 and 0 points on Saturday will almost certainly be the difference between 11th or 12th or something totally irrelevant at the end of the season. And I don't know why they can't play Tues and Sat anyway.

As a cup man, I am actually pleased Palace seem to realise they have an opportunity and pick pretty much their best side.

Unimpressed with Marti yesterday for the first time.

If we had played a complete reserve team I'd be with you all the way but last nights team is not that much different from what you'd expect from our best 11.

Possibly the only change I'd have made would be Dembele starting ahead of Dixon-Bonner but that wasn't a big deal and I thought when Dembele came on he had no impact at all

From the changes from Saturday Field at Centre half gave us a left foot and helped with playing out which i thought worked. Ashby at right back was better than Santos imo

Varane in for Colback, I'd have liked to see Colback getting a few tackles in and pressing but Varane did a decent job and has featured in every game this season so isn't out of the blue.

Saito and Smyth for Anderson and Field, I don't think thats a big drop off either

I get the frustrations but would our so called best 11 have done any better? The gap between the 2 sides was huge
Utterly Sick of It on 09:51 - Sep 18 with 1007 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'm sorry, TK1, but you don't think we'd have been more competitive with Nardi, Dunne, Dembelé and Frey in the team?

Utterly Sick of It on 09:53 - Sep 18 with 991 viewsdaveB

Utterly Sick of It on 09:51 - Sep 18 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm sorry, TK1, but you don't think we'd have been more competitive with Nardi, Dunne, Dembelé and Frey in the team?

not competitive enough to win the game, we were an inch away from a draw at the end with Lloyds effort.

Dembele played second half and for the other 3 I thought Walsh, Field and Celar all did fine, field probably our best player

[Post edited 18 Sep 9:54]
Utterly Sick of It on 10:01 - Sep 18 with 949 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Utterly Sick of It on 09:53 - Sep 18 by daveB

not competitive enough to win the game, we were an inch away from a draw at the end with Lloyds effort.

Dembele played second half and for the other 3 I thought Walsh, Field and Celar all did fine, field probably our best player

[Post edited 18 Sep 9:54]

I don't get that logic at all, sorry Dave.

We rested key players, we got bossed all over the pitch in the first half. We improved after the break once we strengthened the team. We came close to a draw. Obviously, we'll never know now, but it seems logical to me that our chances would have increased had we played our strongest team.

Anyway, I think I'm in the minority on this one. I would've prioritised last night's knockout game and rotated/rested for the next game which is 1/46th of a competition. I've always felt like this, and I doubt I'll change my mind, so I'll stop bugging you all! :)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024