Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane 13:44 - Aug 9 with 4737 viewsdurham_exile

After survival Saturday on 27 April when a 1-1 draw against Crewe secured another season in League Two with a spectacular finish from Noah Chilvers, it has been a very busy Summer transfer window for the Cowley brothers with 11 new signings.

Chilvers himself has taken the high road to Ross County and started with an 88th minute substitution appearance. So, we move on, and arguably the best player at the club Arthur Read has stayed to help fire the U’s to promotion this season.

I have to say that I am very optimistic about the forthcoming season. Fellow boarders will suggest that I say this every season, but it is the quality of signings that have been brought in that give rise to this optimism. DC now has a squad to not only retain our status as a League club but also to challenge within the top seven.

There has also been a significant change in viewing opportunities this season. Apart from actually being there live, the advent of Sky Sports + will enable supporters to watch more than 20 of their games this season (providing they subscribe to the full sports package). IFollow is also available to subscribers.

It also means that our first game at Plough Lane will be shown live together with the other 35 EFL games this weekend. Of course, a magnificent 1100+ of the faithful will be travelling to see our new look Colchester United on Saturday afternoon. Such is the enthusiasm for the Cowley project.

So, our squad with numbers looks like this:

Goalkeepers
1 Matt Macey
12 Tom Smith

Defenders

3 Ellis Iandolo
4 Fiacre Kelleher
5 Ben Goodliffe
6 Tom Flanagan (Club Captain)
18 Mandela Egbo
19 Rob Hunt
22 William Greenidge
40 Frankie Terry

Midfield
7 Harry Anderson
10 Jack Payne
16 Arthur Read
21 Owura Edwards
27 Matt Jay
30 Alex Woodyard
8 Teddy Bishop
29 Conor Wilkinson

Strikers

9 Samson Tovide
11 John-Kymani Gordon
31 Oscar Thorn
33 Lyle Taylor
48 Bradley Ihionvien

Now of course with such an upheaval at the club involving playing staff and the possibility of a couple more signings boarders will be looking forward to seeing DC’s first starting XI on Saturday afternoon.

We know that Matt Macey will be our Number One and that Tom Flanagan is the new Club Captain, but what about the other nine starters.

Options for the back four are strong and it could be argued that Kells and Egbo could start but I think Hunt and Goodliffe will start at the back.

Midfield offers even more choice with Edwards and Jay offering alternatives but I reckon Anderson will start along with Payne, Read and Bishop who offer considerable ability and experience. Conor Wilkinson is likely to be moving on in the near future.

I must admit that I am unsure about Samson Tovide’s fitness and so Bradley Ihionvien together with Lyle Taylor should start as an exciting duo. Hopper and Gordon offer alternatives of course.

Therefore, I believe that DC may start with the following team in a 4,1,3,2 formation:

Macey

Hunt Goodliffe Flanagan Iandolo

Read

Anderson Payne Bishop

Taylor Ihionvien

Subs:
Smith, Kells, Egbo, Edwards, Jay, Gordon, Hopper

Johnnie Jackson will have a strong Wimbledon team at his disposal including our old friends Owen Goodman, Alistair Smith and John Joe O’Toole.

Lyle Taylor will be reunited with one of his former clubs on Saturday and he certainly knows where the goal is. This however should be Bradley’s season and I am confident that he can score 20 goals, the first to do so since Jamie Cureton for the U’s.

My prediction is for a 2-1 Colchester victory with Taylor and Ihionvien on the scoresheet.

The travelling support will be in good form (including Wessex) and I hope that everyone has a safe journey and enjoys the game.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 9 Aug 13:49]

Durham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 18:39 - Aug 9 with 2635 viewswessex_exile

Going to be an odd afternoon trying to work out who's on the ball, but I hope you're right about Bishop playing (apparently, he prefers Ted). I was wondering if he had enough match fitness right now, so maybe coming off the bench second half?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 19:51 - Aug 9 with 2618 viewsTheOldOakTree

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 18:39 - Aug 9 by wessex_exile

Going to be an odd afternoon trying to work out who's on the ball, but I hope you're right about Bishop playing (apparently, he prefers Ted). I was wondering if he had enough match fitness right now, so maybe coming off the bench second half?

Expecting a few diagonal balls from him.
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 19:56 - Aug 9 with 2613 viewsdurham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 19:51 - Aug 9 by TheOldOakTree

Expecting a few diagonal balls from him.

Very good TOOT.

Durham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 23:06 - Aug 9 with 2564 viewsdurham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 18:39 - Aug 9 by wessex_exile

Bishop has played some pre season minutes but may not be fully fit.
However he is such a good player that he must definitely play at Plough Lane tomorrow even if it is as an impact sub second half.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 11:08 - Aug 10 with 2487 viewsburnsieespana

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 23:06 - Aug 9 by durham_exile

Bishop has played some pre season minutes but may not be fully fit.
However he is such a good player that he must definitely play at Plough Lane tomorrow even if it is as an impact sub second half.

Up the U's

Given his injury history (known as sick note at Ipswich) think DC will be careful how he integrates him into the team.
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 13:53 - Aug 10 with 2447 viewsTheOldOakTree

I appreciate this won’t bother those of you in the Motherland, now that you can watch on the telly, but I just spent an age trying to register with the new iFollow platform and first impressions is that it’s even more shite than the old one.

You can only watch live if you’re abroad, but the system doesn’t look like it can cope with a Johnny foreigner email address and asks for your UK Postcode f-ing knobheads. Luckily my old email still works.

You can’t use @ppleP@y or P@yP@l FFS. Tapping in my card details repeatedly like its 2005.

Just waiting for it to tell me it only takes cheques or postal orders (showing my age now!).

The EFL at the forefront of Global Britain. It’s like doing business with the Flintstones.
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 14:05 - Aug 10 with 2440 viewsdurham_exile

DC starting XI

Macey

Read

Payne Gordon Hopper

Ihionvien Tovide

Subs
Smith Kells Egbo Edwards Bishop Bendle Woodyard

Strong line up
Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 14:40 - Aug 10 with 2414 viewsBLACKCAT

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 14:05 - Aug 10 by durham_exile

DC starting XI

Macey

Read

Payne Gordon Hopper

Ihionvien Tovide

Subs

Strong line up
Up the U's

No Taylor, has he picked up a knock?
Login to get fewer ads

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 14:42 - Aug 10 with 2404 viewsburnsieespana

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 14:05 - Aug 10 by durham_exile

DC starting XI

Macey

Read

Payne Gordon Hopper

Ihionvien Tovide

Subs

Strong line up
Up the U's

Assume Taylor unfit.
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 14:48 - Aug 10 with 2397 viewsTheOldOakTree

Finally managed to get access and currently watching the warm up.

The faithful are in very fine voice, going through their repertoire.

On Saturday we follow.....
...the boys in blue and white...

Getting goosebumps and regretting not making the effort to show up.
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 14:51 - Aug 10 with 2387 viewsdurham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 14:42 - Aug 10 by burnsieespana

Assume Taylor unfit.

I don't know Burnsie

Strong team selected.

Looking forward to this opening fixture.
Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 14:54 - Aug 10 with 2385 viewsTheOldOakTree

Never mind Alastair Smith and Owen Goodman, the wombles are going to wish they'd signed some of our fans. Definitely the best in L2.

Looking good in the red/black kit.
[Post edited 10 Aug 15:02]
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:04 - Aug 10 with 2350 viewsTheOldOakTree

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:12 - Aug 10 with 2335 viewsdurham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:04 - Aug 10 by TheOldOakTree

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Give us the league title now

Outstanding

2-0

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:16 - Aug 10 with 2327 viewsTheOldOakTree

The jammy $%~@ers They were on the ropes and then go up the other end and get the flukiest of goals.

GAME ON!
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:17 - Aug 10 with 2320 viewsdurham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:12 - Aug 10 by durham_exile

Give us the league title now

Outstanding

2-0

Up the U's

Wimbledon back in it but frankly undeserved
Heavily deflected

Colchester good value for their lead though

Durham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:25 - Aug 10 with 2300 viewsdurham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:17 - Aug 10 by durham_exile

Wimbledon back in it but frankly undeserved
Heavily deflected

Colchester good value for their lead though

Jack Payne delivers some superb set pieces for the U's

We look in very good order.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:29 - Aug 10 with 2293 viewsTheOldOakTree

What in gods name is going on with their No. 31's shorts?????

I know short, shorts are coming back, but he looks like he's wearing a kids kit.

He looks like he's off for a nights clubbing at the Blue Oyster bar.
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:33 - Aug 10 with 2277 viewsdurham_exile

Wimbledon equaliser undeserved.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:39 - Aug 10 with 2251 viewsdurham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:33 - Aug 10 by durham_exile

Wimbledon equaliser undeserved.

Come on the U's

That is never a penalty

Criminal decision by the referee

Durham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:48 - Aug 10 with 2220 viewsTheOldOakTree

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:29 - Aug 10 by TheOldOakTree

What in gods name is going on with their No. 31's shorts?????

I know short, shorts are coming back, but he looks like he's wearing a kids kit.

He looks like he's off for a nights clubbing at the Blue Oyster bar.

Good to see there’s nothing wrong with my gaydar. Their 31 can’t keep his hands off of Bradley.
https://www.google.com/search?q=katherine+tate+hommalulu&sca_esv=2fb4f24297e
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:49 - Aug 10 with 2214 viewsTheOldOakTree

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:39 - Aug 10 by durham_exile

That is never a penalty

Criminal decision by the referee

Their second goal was far more handball than the penalty.
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:52 - Aug 10 with 2204 viewsdurham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:49 - Aug 10 by TheOldOakTree

Their second goal was far more handball than the penalty.

Absolutely cheated by the referee.

It was never a penalty.

Losing but we don't deserve to be.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 16:05 - Aug 10 with 2148 viewsTheOldOakTree

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:52 - Aug 10 by durham_exile

Absolutely cheated by the referee.

It was never a penalty.

Losing but we don't deserve to be.

Up the U's

Their first was a fluke deflection

Their second looked handball.

Their penalty was never handball.

Whereas both our goals were top draw.

Plenty of positives, just need DC and NC to step up to the plate and turn this around.
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 16:15 - Aug 10 with 2107 viewsdurham_exile

Word is that Lyle Taylor is suspended.

Don't know for how many games

The ref should be suspended

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024