Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Basketball 17:41 - Sep 24 with 1571 viewsBrianMcCarthy

On a gigantic basketball binge these last few weeks.
Any fans on here?

Always thought that basketball attracted great writing, but I've never really studied the game until now, and hugely enjoying it.

Watched The Last Dance again, and DAMN! that shít is hot! (oh ya, one of the side effects of the b-ball binge is that I'm now rapping like I'm straight outta 80's Philly). Loving Winning Time as well, hugely enjoyable though it's a soap compared to The Last Dance.

Next up is to re-read this. A classic. Highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pistol-Life-Maravich-Mark-Kriegel/dp/0743284984/ref=sr_

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Basketball on 17:46 - Sep 24 with 1545 viewsBklynRanger

I'd like to be but can't sort out what channel it's on, plus there's the time difference so I suppose it's a matter of watching highlights or something?

I went through a couple of Knicks phases but a long time ago - last one was when Stefon Marbury was playing for them. Fantasy basketball was always the best of the fantasy games I thought, also when I used to do such things.

That book looks good - might have a look at that.
Basketball on 17:55 - Sep 24 with 1518 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Basketball on 17:46 - Sep 24 by BklynRanger

I'd like to be but can't sort out what channel it's on, plus there's the time difference so I suppose it's a matter of watching highlights or something?

I went through a couple of Knicks phases but a long time ago - last one was when Stefon Marbury was playing for them. Fantasy basketball was always the best of the fantasy games I thought, also when I used to do such things.

That book looks good - might have a look at that.

I can't remember the details, Bklyn, but I remember that I loved it.

Loved this one, too. The man's a lunatic, but what a coach. I learned so much from it, it may even have been the first book that made me curious about coaching as something to try.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Season-Brink-Knight-Indiana-Hoosiers/dp/0025372300/ref=

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Basketball on 17:57 - Sep 24 with 1513 viewsWirralHoop

I’m a massive fan, been to NBA game back when Golden State we’re rubbish. They beat Sacramento by 2. I now support them and get accused of being a glory hunter.

When I lived down south was a London Towers season ticket holder, don’t go often but Cheshire Phoenix now quite local to me.

Haven’t read much though will have to look at that book.
Basketball on 18:00 - Sep 24 with 1496 viewsBklynRanger

Basketball on 17:55 - Sep 24 by BrianMcCarthy

I can't remember the details, Bklyn, but I remember that I loved it.

Loved this one, too. The man's a lunatic, but what a coach. I learned so much from it, it may even have been the first book that made me curious about coaching as something to try.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Season-Brink-Knight-Indiana-Hoosiers/dp/0025372300/ref=

Oh yeah famous name Bobby Knight - bit of a reputation for volatility I think? Hopefully you pick your moments for that.
Basketball on 19:22 - Sep 24 with 1429 viewsslmrstid

Two Leicester Riders fans in the BBL in our house. As you can imagine the British Basketball League is quite a low level in regard to the rest of Europe. Whilst the teams in this country are professional (sort of) they are all mostly tied to local universities so players are here on two/three year degrees so there is regular rotation of squads. The Riders squad this year is pretty much all new and they tie up with Loughborough University.

The BBL has just started this year, we lost our first game to WirralHoops' Cheshire Phoenix, rallied on Friday night to beat Plymouth City. Not sure what to expect this year from Riders given the brand new squad. They've been strong for a long time but its a lot of pressure for the coach to do it year after year with a new squad!

London Lions and the BBL itself are owned by 777 Partners (the mob who have just bought Everton) which is a ridiculous conflict of interest that's been allowed to happen, and 777 have thrown a lot of money at the Lions which is giving them success for now but I'll be interested to see if they are still around in 5 years. Riders got to the BBL Cup and Championship Play-Off Finals last year, lost both to the Lions, but Lions had one player (Sam Dekker, 200+ NBA games) who was on more money than the rest of the Riders squad in total. Absolutely ridiculous situation and completely unsustainable. Lions play at the Copper Box for anyone London based fans interested.

As far as NBA goes, last year Sky Sports were generally showing one game a week at least on free to air on YouTube so worth checking that out again when the season starts this year for anyone interested. Hopefully they do.

If not, most if not all BBL games are on YouTube! As I said its not the highest level, but most of the teams are still very closely matched so are always good contests to watch.

For the NBA we had a lovely time in Toronto and were there after the Raptors won the NBA so if forced I'd say they were my "team", but I've never seen them play and its very tenuous. Enjoy watching anyone really. My sister follows Golden State, her partner Cleveland. They both live in Belgium.

*EDIT* - It was the Sunday afternoon NBA game that Sky would chuck on YouTube which made it anything from 6pm-8pm tip in the UK on a Sunday night which worked quite well.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 19:24]
Basketball on 19:55 - Sep 24 with 1374 viewsB_Wad

Grew up loving basketball but the current NBA isn't doing it for me. If you're ever in the States I highly recommend checking out a college or high school game. Either fewer or no television time outs and the atmosphere can be fantastic.

Former college coach John Wooden is iconic and some of his principles (The Pyramid of Success ") and axioms (" Be quick but don't hurry ") are almost essential for anyone involved in coaching.
Basketball on 20:28 - Sep 24 with 1336 viewsslmrstid

Also worth watching is "Last Chance U Basketball" on Netflix. Two series of it following a college team in East Los Angeles. Really well done, both series have heartbreaking ends for different reasons, which helps show real life isnt always fairytales.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024