Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not in a disrespectful way, far from it - Three years with Warbs 20:27 - May 10 with 10074 viewsNorthernr

Last of the Warbs stuff before we move on. Full assessment of the good and bad of his time here...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/57765
Not in a disrespectful way, far from it - Three years with Warbs on 19:29 - May 13 with 1250 viewsNorthernr

Not in a disrespectful way, far from it - Three years with Warbs on 16:21 - May 13 by stainrods_elbow

Nice idea, but I'm inclined to say 'and pigs might fly', especially from the Warburton's hyper-diplomatic mouth. Even decades after that Milk Cup Final that never happened, the likes of Peter Hucker were refusing to do more than allude to 'people at QPR wanting us to lose the game' without doing anything as dangerous as naming and shaming a single employee. What it is about football that treats its paying customers as if they were peering in on matter of national secutrity beats me - it's both risible and exasperating, and what leads to people talking with hushed gratitude about largely speculative 'behind the scenes' pieces on QPR in West London Sport as if they were somehow lid-lifting.
[Post edited 13 May 2022 16:23]

Dave Mc deserves more respect than that. Proper old school local journo doing proper old school local journo hard yards, the likes of which I though you’d be all in favour of.
Not in a disrespectful way, far from it - Three years with Warbs on 09:53 - May 14 with 1015 viewsloneranger1

Not in a disrespectful way, far from it - Three years with Warbs on 21:44 - May 11 by nix

Brilliant article Clive: balanced and fair. Excellently well researched reminders of what got us to where we are now.

For what it's worth, I'll miss him too.

I hope we won't regret it as much as I fear we will.

Apologies Nix, down-arrowed when I meant to do the opposite - fat fingers!
Not in a disrespectful way, far from it - Three years with Warbs on 09:57 - May 15 with 878 viewsfrancisbowles

Two comments and one question.

1. The academy structure can only work with the kids they can get in the door and then hold onto. Ramsey instrumental in trying to build the academy in a difficult environment which we all hope will improve with the new training ground. Demonstrating a pathway is the major thing that we have to sell to aid recruitment and retainment.

2. At first team level the power is with the players. You have to be sensitive to their egos in order to get their respect, build a squad unity and not have them turn on you. The Warnock methods of the past are no longer as effective. I speculate that he has had to tone it down a bit in his later jobs,

3. Did MW switch from his rolling three year deal to a standard one year contract and if so, apart from remuneration, why? If he hadn't switched would he still be in a job or at least have a year's compensation.
[Post edited 15 May 2022 9:59]
Not in a disrespectful way, far from it - Three years with Warbs on 11:04 - May 15 with 805 viewsDannytheR

Not in a disrespectful way, far from it - Three years with Warbs on 09:57 - May 15 by francisbowles

Two comments and one question.

1. The academy structure can only work with the kids they can get in the door and then hold onto. Ramsey instrumental in trying to build the academy in a difficult environment which we all hope will improve with the new training ground. Demonstrating a pathway is the major thing that we have to sell to aid recruitment and retainment.

2. At first team level the power is with the players. You have to be sensitive to their egos in order to get their respect, build a squad unity and not have them turn on you. The Warnock methods of the past are no longer as effective. I speculate that he has had to tone it down a bit in his later jobs,

3. Did MW switch from his rolling three year deal to a standard one year contract and if so, apart from remuneration, why? If he hadn't switched would he still be in a job or at least have a year's compensation.
[Post edited 15 May 2022 9:59]

Number 1 is a really good point. I think someone else talked about this in relation to their own son a while ago, and I've had a similar experience with mine. If you live locally, QPR are a million times better than they were not just at the wider community engagement but working with schools - which should in theory also allow them to see the best local young players ahead of anyone else. (My son's school plays in the "QPR League" for instance.)

But even in west London, Fulham's academy set up is a lot better known and parents are desperate for their kids to get involved with the club because of it. (Harvey Elliott gets talked about a lot as an example of what Fulham can do for their sons, despite the fact he started out at Rangers.)

Which is all to say that setting up a successful academy isn't as simple as just flicking a switch - *especially* in a city crowded with better resourced clubs who were already well into their stride with their strategy for young players while we were fKing about signing Joey Barton and Chris Samba.
[Post edited 15 May 2022 11:07]
Not in a disrespectful way, far from it - Three years with Warbs on 15:02 - May 15 with 629 viewsdsw2509

I just hope a sensible replacement has been identified.

Clearly if MW couldn’t manage upwards then eventually he would be out.

Moving MW off the 12 month revolving contract was more significant than many people realised.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024