Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warburton - hope he stays for years 21:25 - Dec 3 with 8268 viewsGreenbay

Of course we should vent our feelings about the manager and the team - especially when we play some great football and then throw it all away.
After all we have to get rid of our frustrations somewhere!
This is a great place to do it and exchange ideas.

But to dismiss Warburton (as some have suggested especially when we lose) at the end of the season is nuts - totally nuts.
Even if we were relegated (and it won't happen) I would keep him - absolutely.
The question is - will Warburton want to stay?
He doesn't need the money. He does it cos his heart is in it.
And most of his philosophy is great.

He hasn't got the cash to spend unlike many Premier League clubs and some in the Championship.
How many of those Premier managers would survive in the Championship. Very few.
Warburton has the task of trying to spin gold from straw.

Remember when he came on board - following the disasters of previous years?
We have had huge financial problems, trying to improve a training ground, and a falling down stadium.

He was given a massive long-term task which he accepted.
1. That is - as we all know only too well - buy or hire low and sell high.
2. At the same time develop a team that is competitive at this level.

Yes let us all dream about a top 6 finish. That's what we all want but let's be realistic.

Warburton has done a fantastic job.
In just over 18 months he's had to dismantle a team - cos the wages were too high, create another last year which included loans - and we did well - and this year another new team - mainly youngsters - and we actually own them.
And in 45 minute bursts (especially the last 3 games) we have produced some of the best football that QPR has delivered in decades.

At the same time the owners have finally bought (to be developed) a big training ground.

This is not a 2/3 year project - it's a project for 5-10 years.
If we have success earlier than that - then great.
Of course we suffer especially when we play well as we did against Brentford and then Bristol City - and then lose.
But this is professional sport - fine margins.

Improvement comes by small margins.
Look at the British cycling team - a laughing stock not so long ago.
But by small margins they improved and are now one of the best in the world.

Is Warburton the man to lead us?
I believe he is. It's a long-term mission.
As long as the dressing room backs him - and we see small marginal gains then I hope he stays with us for a very long time.
This year the gains have been good.
Goalkeeper, right-back and left-back - all new (Dieng, Kakay, Hamaleinen) and progressing. Add Dickie.
We're not there yet - but we are on the right track.
Chair, Willock, BOS (until he goes) along with Carroll.
And I'm looking forward to seeing Bettache.
Then Dykes - he'll get there but give him time.
Bonne I hope and young Kelman.

We've got a lot to look forward too. And yes it's going to be a very bumpy ride, very frustrating but what we all saw in the last 3 games and in spells earlier this season was exciting and riveting.

Let's back Warburton and the team which hopefully is going to develop into a terrific side with one or two additions.

I rest my case.
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 17:47 - Dec 4 with 2250 viewsfrancisbowles

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 16:59 - Dec 4 by golborne

But many clubs do. Do you think the BC fans were that enamoured in the first half the other night. I think many fans are falling into Sky Sports cliche world around our defence. It's far from perfect, but it's miles better and more solid than last season. Those gob8hites have penalties included in their set piece stats..Coventry was disastrous, Cardiff 2nd half not great, one individual mistake against Watford and a couple of gone on me holidays up the pitch for Wallace, but that was rectified at halftime. Preston was 2 pens. Arguably mistakes, but they troubled us little in open play. Forest were dangerous, but have one of the strongest frontlines in the league, it wasn't down to mistakes. The pen mistake by Dickie against Barnsley finished that game, so you can't count that as a disastrous defensive performance. Blackburn outplayed us all over the pitch (how dare somebody do that..) pure and simple. Last season, every time we were attacked, every time we had a set piece against us my heart sank. I don't get that feeling this season at all. Maybe against Cov only.
If we went down, and we won't, I'd hand him the job of getting us back up. Why do we deserve a new manager, why would I want some knuckle dragger to appease the people on here who want results over the beautiful game. They should take a look at their lives and really question whether they can hack being the supporter of a small club, one who many fans stick with because for the majority of the last 50 years we've tried to play the game the right way. I'm bored of the childish negativity without any real balance.

It's pretty well balanced on this forum at present. Have a look at the survey on the 'Warburton what's next' thread. Less than 2% think he should go!
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 18:04 - Dec 4 with 2230 viewseastside_r

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 17:47 - Dec 4 by francisbowles

It's pretty well balanced on this forum at present. Have a look at the survey on the 'Warburton what's next' thread. Less than 2% think he should go!

Spot on. I am not Warburton’s biggest fan* but even I do no think we should get rid of him now. Most posters contributing on these threads are fairly balanced but I think there are blinkered outliers on both sides of the argument.

* While he is our manager, I will continue to support the team and by proxy the manager. Whatever my misgivings are about Warburton, now is not the time to air them — I will strive to stay positive.
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 20:01 - Dec 4 with 2159 viewsNorthantsHoop

I like Warburton, he was the right appointment and I assume he is achieving for the Board what has been set out for him. Assume this was keep us in the division, improve the football, live within means and develop young potential players. At this stage the renewal of his contract is probably too early, need to first reach number of points where Championship status is secured and look at how he has met goals set out for him at his appointment.
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 21:10 - Dec 4 with 2124 viewsenzian

Hi.I fondly remember the era of Alec Stock.Lets give MW the same opportunity.
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 21:26 - Dec 4 with 2107 viewssupahoopsa

Agree 1000%, watching some of the best football I have seen from an entire team (2010/2011 was all about Adel, who was an absolute joy to watch) since I have been watching for the last 30 years. Yes I know we have lost a few games, but I think we were a bit unlucky, really need to take our chances

Warburton has had to totally rebuild team with little cash to spend and we now have a team that is a joy to watch., long may it continue

Blue & White hooped blood runs through the family

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 10:27 - Dec 5 with 2004 viewsGreenbay

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 14:54 - Dec 4 by francisbowles

I'm with you in principle but I don't see how they could offer him two years on top of his current contract, now. What happens if the rest of the season is terrible and we go south?

They would be stuck with him on a two year deal or have to pay two years comp to get rid.

I would think a one year extension, if things are not too bad at the beginning of January with an option to add another in the summer, provided we finish the season in a reasonable manner and stay in this division. That way we achieve almost everything that you mention but with less risk.

Very reasonable.
So how about an 18 month rolling contract?
You need to give a manager confidence.
It's the same as managers and coaching staff need to give players confidence.
Remember he doesn't need the money.
It's just confirmation that he's doing the right thing with that little bit of security.
And in IMO he is doing the right thing.
Even if we went down (which we won't) I'd still keep him as mentioned in the original post.
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 10:58 - Dec 5 with 1972 viewsPinnerPaul

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 16:53 - Dec 4 by BrianMcCarthy

He did.

And they gave Keegan a 10-yr deal.

Cheers Brian
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 11:29 - Dec 5 with 1959 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I don't think we'll go down but seeing as we're on the subject - talk of keeping the manager if we did is far-fetched: we lose our sh1t as fans when we lose a few games so the idea that we'd all reward a manager who brought us down with love and understanding is kind of funny.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 15:01 - Dec 6 with 1740 viewsBoston

Any idea of the buzz from the dressing room regarding the man? Mine, your opinions don't really matter if the squad isn't comfortable with him.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 15:07 - Dec 6 with 1708 viewspaulparker

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 21:26 - Dec 4 by supahoopsa

Agree 1000%, watching some of the best football I have seen from an entire team (2010/2011 was all about Adel, who was an absolute joy to watch) since I have been watching for the last 30 years. Yes I know we have lost a few games, but I think we were a bit unlucky, really need to take our chances

Warburton has had to totally rebuild team with little cash to spend and we now have a team that is a joy to watch., long may it continue

Better than the Don Howe teams ?
Better than the Jim Smith teams ?
Better than the Gerry Francis teams
Better than the Holloway plays off and promotion teams ?
This lot are no where near that standard, good football is not about short passing around the six yard box, it’s about defending as well and those teams above knew how to defend and attack
Apart from that purple patch last year ( Cardiff & Swansea) who has this brilliant team destroyed ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 17:02 - Dec 6 with 1665 viewsSimplyNico

Two clichés.

1. Be careful what you wish for. Just ask Ipswich fans who wanted McCarthy out. That didn't turn out to be such a crash hot idea.

2. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
We are unsurprisingly inconsistent given that we have one of the lowest wage bills in the league. However, we play good football more often than not. We are also developing and selling players for multiples of what we bought them for. Dieng is next up given how he is playing.

Warburton is doing a good job given the constraints he is working with.
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 19:14 - Dec 6 with 1604 viewsHastings_Hoops

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 11:35 - Dec 4 by Greenbay

Absolutely Francis.
He should be given a 2 and a half year extended contract.

In that way he feels comfortable - not because of the money as he doesn't need it - but getting a thumbs up from the Board shows confidence in him.
If someone backs you/us - don't we all feel better?
The players then know that he's here to stay and continue to play for him as they do now.

What worries me is that he won't sign.
However I think he will.
He's a man on a mission and wants to see the 'rewards' (as he often says).

Remember Alex Ferguson. The Man Utd. Board showed their confidence in him and look what happened after a few years.

OK we're a Championship team but watching the side develop (by small margins as I said in the original post), see the training facilities improve at our new place and finally get a decent stadium - well isn't that exciting?

Of course there's going to be frustrations - daft defeats, daft draws - but if you're using a graph and we see those small marginal improvements - and we are all committed including us fans (along with our inevitable moans and groans as we do on here) it will all be worth it.

Remember the target - a financially stable club, a decent stadium, a team we all enjoy watching (40 minutes per game at the moment) and one day playing the big boys even if we become a yo-yo club between the Premier and the Championship.
In other words no daft buying as we did before.

Yes let's complain on this website - got to proverbially kick the cat when things go wrong. We all need an outlet for our frustration.
But let's back Warburton and his team.
I'm very optimistic.

If the board are happy with the work he’s done (sticking to their plan A), he should be given an additional year this January - that will galvanise support from the dressing room.
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 10:04 - Dec 7 with 1491 viewsfrancisbowles

With hindsight, we should maybe have done that last summer. A reward for finishing 13th and meeting other targets. Obviously the post lockdown games took the shine off the season though!

In my mind it's not a simple case of should he stay or should he go.

We have got ourselves in a pretty sticky situation. Apart from defensive frailty and recent first team results, the vast majority seem to be happy with the job he is doing and I suspect the directors are happy with the way the players are being developed.

However, how do you give someone a new contract if we go on a long losing run and slip into the relegation zone?
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 10:09 - Dec 7 with 1483 viewsdaveB

Warburton is excellent for developing players which is going to mean results are hit and miss but players will individually improve. I think he's ideal for what we need as a club at the moment but you can't keep losing games making the same mistakes over and over again, that only ever ends with the sack and he is heading that way at the moment
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 10:12 - Dec 7 with 1459 viewspaulparker

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 17:02 - Dec 6 by SimplyNico

Two clichés.

1. Be careful what you wish for. Just ask Ipswich fans who wanted McCarthy out. That didn't turn out to be such a crash hot idea.

2. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
We are unsurprisingly inconsistent given that we have one of the lowest wage bills in the league. However, we play good football more often than not. We are also developing and selling players for multiples of what we bought them for. Dieng is next up given how he is playing.

Warburton is doing a good job given the constraints he is working with.

Sorry but how is he doing a good job ? The team looks like conceding at every opposition attack as well as every opposition free kick and corner , we have conceded well over a hundred goals and kept only 8 clean sheets , that is not a good job imo
Teams with the same budgets, Luton, Coventry, Millwall , Preston seem to do ok but not us so let’s not keep using that as an excuse
As for the point of selling players for massive profits, only Eze is the exception and he was always destined to be a 20 million player as each season went on
Let’s see what we get for chair , Dieng, Willock when it’s time to sell it won’t be as much as you think

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 12:27 - Dec 7 with 1411 viewsderbyhoop

Needless to say, after Saturday's abysmal showing, the keyboard warriors are out calling for change. Predictable, if disappointing.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 13:56 - Dec 7 with 1354 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 12:27 - Dec 7 by derbyhoop

Needless to say, after Saturday's abysmal showing, the keyboard warriors are out calling for change. Predictable, if disappointing.

Yep. They never learn.
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 14:01 - Dec 7 with 1325 views2Thomas2Bowles

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 12:27 - Dec 7 by derbyhoop

Yes our leader must never be questioned

As for keyboard warriors, you're as bad as MW chucking that out
[Post edited 7 Dec 2020 15:06]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 14:07 - Dec 7 with 1328 viewsderbyhoop

I didn't say MW shouldn't be questioned.

But, given our well known financial constraints, we cannot afford to change managers because of a few bad results. Nobody replacing MW can guarantee success, would struggle to work under the current restrictions but would probably want more wholesale changes on the playing side. Which would be something else unaffordable.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 14:23 - Dec 7 with 1287 views2Thomas2Bowles

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 14:07 - Dec 7 by derbyhoop

But, given our well known financial constraints, we cannot afford to change managers because of a few bad results. Nobody replacing MW can guarantee success, would struggle to work under the current restrictions but would probably want more wholesale changes on the playing side. Which would be something else unaffordable.

Questioning him is not being a keyboard warrior, maybe you don't understand the terminology.

A few bad results? oh fecking please and don't keep banging out the same old excuses he knew that restraints from the start, he is just a very average manager and that's being kind.

*he is a bit shit*
[Post edited 7 Dec 2020 14:23]

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 14:52 - Dec 7 with 1258 viewspaulparker

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 14:07 - Dec 7 by derbyhoop

So if we get relegated and Warburton is out of contract then what ?
A new manager is going to come in and start in league one with guess what new players
Either way it’s going to happen , If we make a change and sign 3 experienced players and stay up that’s got to be good ? Surely ?
You cannot go on repeating the same mistakes week after week and somehow hope things are going to change , Warburton won’t and cannot change
Relegation this year would be brutal for the club
Go on and insult fans as you do , no one calling for change is being out of order no one is being personal about it , your the one doing the name calling if anything
Or do we have to sign into the ideology of the republic of loft for words ? Anyone who goes against the grain or doesn’t conform to the narrative is whisked away never to be seen again

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 15:36 - Dec 7 with 1240 viewsMelakaRanger

There is no doubt that Warbs has done what he was asked to do. Clear out the expensive dross, keep us up, reduce costs and then rinse and repeat.

Trouble is we blow hot and cold. Play brilliant for 45 mins then fall apart and then at the next match capitulate. This happens so often

I feel for him. Hes trying to make a decent Championship team with a League 1 budget and mainly League 1 standard players. I think we might all agree that our performances this season so far, in League 1, would still have us in the lower half.

But the weaknesses we have seen since the beginning of last season are still there. Our only improvement in my mind is that finally we have a Goalie we can depend on.

And he has no Plan B unlike the managers of our last 2 opponents.

Personally I dont think he should go at the moment and if he can get us back to mid table - with more consistent team performances - then I would back a renewal at seasons end.

But I see the next 4 games as crucial for his survival. God forbid but if we lose the next 3 and then fail to convincingly beat Wycombe then I reckon his days would be numbered.
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 22:26 - Dec 8 with 1115 views2Thomas2Bowles

So, those subs, they went well...

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 23:04 - Dec 8 with 1070 viewsdigswellhoop

WELL SAID WE ARE A CHAMPIONSHIP CLUB NO NORE NO LESS AS LONG AS WE STAY IN IT THATS A BONUS
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 07:35 - Dec 9 with 994 viewsGloucs_R

Is our squad only good enough for 18th place?

Chair, BOS, Dickie, Dieng, Uncle... All Championship standard

Dykes, Bonne, Carroll, Willock, Cameron, Barbet, Ball... Would likely get another lower half championship club. (Although Cameron is probably in his last season)

Jury out on Thomas, Masterson, Kelman, Bettache, Willock as they've not played enough games

Niko, Kane, Kakay, Wallace, Kelly all League 1 standard.

When you look at that, you need to question who is responsible for signings. Edit... By question I mean, is it all about a resale value, about being competitive today, what do they look for... And who is now responsible?
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 8:34]

Poll: Are we staying up?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024