Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes Winter thread 22:31 - Nov 6 with 46240 viewsnewgolddream

Australia all-rounder Shane Watson faces a battle to be fit for the first Ashes Test in Brisbane on 21 November.

The 32-year-old sustained a hamstring injury while bowling in Australia's final one-day international against India last Saturday.
Ashes Winter thread on 22:59 - Dec 9 with 1293 viewsHollowayRanger

too much 20-20 one day cricket

all our players seem to want to hit eveything for a 4 or 6 score at a run a ball

no patience tire out wear down the bowlers

crazy yesterday should have try to last as long as possible instead all over in less then an hour and starts all over again friday the 13th!

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Ashes Winter thread on 23:29 - Dec 9 with 1282 viewsnewgolddream

Notwithstanding the very real fact that Australia might have regained the urn by this time next week, what astonishes most about this Ashes series is how meekly England seem prepared to hand it back.
Ashes Winter thread on 02:21 - Dec 10 with 1255 viewsKiwi76

Ashes Winter thread on 22:59 - Dec 9 by HollowayRanger

all our players seem to want to hit eveything for a 4 or 6 score at a run a ball

crazy yesterday should have try to last as long as possible instead all over in less then an hour and starts all over again friday the 13th!

At least with your popn and county cricket you have some players to bring in/out to suit the format.
Little old NZ has such a limited amount of players and pay them lot less than the Aussies so all chase the $$$ to be found in 20:20. (or accept for match fixing - allegedly!)

No excuse for likes of Cook falling on leg side boundary - remember our great Richard Hadlee sorting one of the Aussie openers out in same fashion - Hillditch(?) and think it finished his career.
Ashes Winter thread on 10:44 - Dec 10 with 1206 viewsHooparoo

Perth =

3-0 Australia - You bloody beauty!
[Post edited 10 Dec 2013 10:46]

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes Winter thread on 10:55 - Dec 10 with 1199 viewsElHoop

Ashes Winter thread on 22:59 - Dec 9 by HollowayRanger

That would be true if most of our team played T20 cricket - but they don't.

Nobody plays in the IPL that i can think of. Probably Morgan is the only one. Nobody in the test side plays domestic T20 as a rule. Few are any use in the England T20 side either.
Ashes Winter thread on 13:58 - Dec 10 with 1175 viewswhittocksRs

Ashes Winter thread on 10:55 - Dec 10 by ElHoop

That would be true if most of our team played T20 cricket - but they don't.

Nobody plays in the IPL that i can think of. Probably Morgan is the only one. Nobody in the test side plays domestic T20 as a rule. Few are any use in the England T20 side either.

Agreed, has nothing to do with 20-20 cricket. In fact, it's quite likely the Aussies in this squad play more shortform games than us. It's all about poor preparation, a few unlucky breaks off the field, the Aussies getting their form together and our players' terrible form. On paper, we win this series every time.

As a side point, I saw Alec Stewart has come out with the idea that getting rid of the spinner from our team is the answer. He thinks Boyd Rankin, Steve Finn and Ben Stokes are better options than Swann and/or Monty. He should never coach England.
Ashes Winter thread on 14:21 - Dec 10 with 1169 viewsElHoop

Ashes Winter thread on 13:58 - Dec 10 by whittocksRs

Agreed, has nothing to do with 20-20 cricket. In fact, it's quite likely the Aussies in this squad play more shortform games than us. It's all about poor preparation, a few unlucky breaks off the field, the Aussies getting their form together and our players' terrible form. On paper, we win this series every time.

As a side point, I saw Alec Stewart has come out with the idea that getting rid of the spinner from our team is the answer. He thinks Boyd Rankin, Steve Finn and Ben Stokes are better options than Swann and/or Monty. He should never coach England.

I thought that the Australian team looked like a T20 side and I still think that in fact, but we seem incapable of exploiting any weakness there. We don't tie their batsmen down and frustrate them into playing stupid shots, we don't see off the 4 or 5 overs that Johnson can bowl without getting tired, we don't give their fielders long enough in the field to get tired from that intensity of fielding. So we let their T20 'weakness' become their strength. They belt us out of the ground, we try to do the same to them and get out, and our fielding is sloppy whist they can keep sharp.

We need to play like a test side from now on, and make them play 'our' game. See off Johnson's overs, wear them down, make it a war of attrition, which is what it is supposed to be.
Ashes Winter thread on 14:54 - Dec 10 with 1162 viewswhittocksRs

Ashes Winter thread on 14:21 - Dec 10 by ElHoop

I thought that the Australian team looked like a T20 side and I still think that in fact, but we seem incapable of exploiting any weakness there. We don't tie their batsmen down and frustrate them into playing stupid shots, we don't see off the 4 or 5 overs that Johnson can bowl without getting tired, we don't give their fielders long enough in the field to get tired from that intensity of fielding. So we let their T20 'weakness' become their strength. They belt us out of the ground, we try to do the same to them and get out, and our fielding is sloppy whist they can keep sharp.

We need to play like a test side from now on, and make them play 'our' game. See off Johnson's overs, wear them down, make it a war of attrition, which is what it is supposed to be.

There should only be a couple of players in Aussie team that we should have trouble getting out - Clarke, Haddin and possibly Johnson and Harris, who are tail enders who know how to bat in test cricket. The rest have never been able to put together test innings before this series. So a little credit goes to those players for improving but primarily it's our play that will lose us the Ashes.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes Winter thread on 15:07 - Dec 10 with 1157 viewsElHoop

Ashes Winter thread on 22:38 - Dec 9 by QPRDave

..I'll bowl em up....you hit em to deep fine leg !!!

Was thinking of Cow Corner in fact.

Is Warnie still shacked up with the Fulham geezer's old bird?
Ashes Winter thread on 15:23 - Dec 10 with 1150 viewsQPRDave

Ashes Winter thread on 15:07 - Dec 10 by ElHoop

Was thinking of Cow Corner in fact.

Is Warnie still shacked up with the Fulham geezer's old bird?

Apparently so........he's always liked sticky wickets!
Ashes Winter thread on 23:30 - Dec 10 with 1112 viewsnewgolddream

Possible England XI for Perth

Alastair Cook, Michael Carberry, Joe Root, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Gary Ballance, Matt Prior, Ben Stokes, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad,James Anderson.
Ashes Winter thread on 23:52 - Dec 10 with 1099 viewsCamberleyR

Perth is a graveyard for spinners, even Warne never did anything there. I'd play four quick bowlers a la the 80s Windies team and give them some chin music. Finn, Rankin, Anderson, Broad. We need to try and win two out of three to retain the Ashes, what have we got to lose?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes Winter thread on 00:33 - Dec 11 with 1090 viewskettles

You can't underestimate what a bit of luck and winning the toss will do for your chances of winning.

We (Australia) seem to be getting more than our fair share of luck this Ashes, whereas last Ashes they were absolutely, desperately unlucky.

Roll on Perth!
Ashes Winter thread on 01:36 - Dec 11 with 1078 viewsFredManRave

Ashes Winter thread on 12:07 - Dec 9 by daveB

I think retaining the ashes has gone, if we can fight back and lose 3-2 I'd take that now

The stats would certainly suggest the same. Only once in the history of the Ashes has a team come from 2-0 down to win and even though we could retain the ashes with a draw the required 2-2 has also only ever happened once in ashes history.

So that with the fact that the Aussies are playing well, have their tails up and a huge amount of momentum behind them and the fact that we're in the exact opposite situation means I won't be putting any money on us to retain the Ashes. FWIW, anybody know the odds?

Is it down to the lake of fear...
Ay, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah
Ay, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah
[Post edited 11 Dec 2013 1:37]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Ashes Winter thread on 21:32 - Dec 11 with 1028 viewsnewgolddream

Australia will be the side under pressure in the third Ashes Test, says their former keeper Adam Gilchrist. Australia have struggled in recent years and Gilchrist says their lack of success could be a factor in the third Test, which starts on Friday.
Ashes Winter thread on 22:21 - Dec 11 with 1007 viewsHollowayRanger

Ashes Winter thread on 21:32 - Dec 11 by newgolddream

Australia will be the side under pressure in the third Ashes Test, says their former keeper Adam Gilchrist. Australia have struggled in recent years and Gilchrist says their lack of success could be a factor in the third Test, which starts on Friday.

yea well id rather be 2-0 up then 0-2 down anyday!

vital thing is not to lose we only haha only need to win 2 out of 3 to retain ashes

least if we dont lose the 4th test wont be a dead rubber

id go

cook
carberry
bell
pieterson
root
balence
prier
broad
breslen
finn
anderson

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Ashes Winter thread on 09:19 - Dec 12 with 968 viewskingsburyR

What time does this test start.

Surely Perth is more than half hour in time difference from Brisbane?????

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Ashes Winter thread on 09:23 - Dec 12 with 965 viewskingsburyR

Got it!

Third Ashes Test
Venue: The Waca, PerthDate: 13-17 DecemberStart: 01:55 GMT

Not staying up for that!!!!!!!!!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Ashes Winter thread on 10:07 - Dec 12 with 953 viewsdaveB

Ashes Winter thread on 23:52 - Dec 10 by CamberleyR

Perth is a graveyard for spinners, even Warne never did anything there. I'd play four quick bowlers a la the 80s Windies team and give them some chin music. Finn, Rankin, Anderson, Broad. We need to try and win two out of three to retain the Ashes, what have we got to lose?

I agree, use Root or Pieterson as the spinner
Ashes Winter thread on 22:27 - Dec 12 with 919 viewsnewgolddream

Captain Alastair Cook says his 100th Test will be the "toughest" of his career as England look to turn around the Ashes after two heavy defeats. Australia will regain the urn if they win the third Test, which starts in Perth on Friday at 02:30 GMT.
Ashes Winter thread on 02:02 - Dec 13 with 908 viewsNov77

What a surprise, Oz win toss and bat!

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes Winter thread on 02:25 - Dec 13 with 905 viewsFredManRave

Ashes Winter thread on 02:02 - Dec 13 by Nov77

What a surprise, Oz win toss and bat!

I obviously realise that it's just the way it is and there's nothing than can be done to change it but you have to admit that it's pretty bloody ridiculous that, in this day and age, the winning of the toss of a coin can be so influential in the outcome of a result.

Oh well, here goes...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Ashes Winter thread on 02:29 - Dec 13 with 904 viewsKiwi76

Looking forward to it - even with us having Windies at 135/5 chasing another 113 runs to make us bat again.
Expecting 38deg so very important theres a few wickets early to generate some momentum.
Bloody rude having the test now as over to Perth for Xmas - just need it to get a little warmer...

Well done NZ - first test victory in 2014!! Innings and 73 runs vs Windies and Boult getting 10 for
[Post edited 13 Dec 2013 3:31]
Ashes Winter thread on 07:24 - Dec 13 with 872 viewsBlackCrowe

Glimmer of hope if the Smith Haddin partnership can broken in the first few overs after tea.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes Winter thread on 08:12 - Dec 13 with 1118 viewsCHUBBS

We had our foot on their throat yet let them off the hook.
I've forgotten how many times we've done this over the years.
If we'd been 140 odd for 5 you get the feeling they'd be batting already.
This performance has been coming but to lose in this manner against a bang average team is just not acceptable.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024