Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
End of coal 06:55 - Sep 30 with 1884 viewsAnotherJohn

Today sees the closure of both Port Talbot's last blast furnace and the power station at Ratcliffe-on-Soar, which will effectively end coal-fired heavy industry in the UK when Scunthorpe's blast furnace goes imminently. To mark this "milestone", Radio 4 spoke to Baroness Worthington, the Powys-born architect of the Climate Change Act, in what was one of the most smarmy interviews I have ever heard. She is taking a break in California and basking in the reflected glory of having helped the UK become the first G7 country to end coal-fired energy generation. She spoke with delight at being congratulated by Al Gore. She talked of how wonderful it is that Port Talbot will now have a plant with modern, clean technology, omitting to mention that this signals the end of the UK strategic industry of primary steel production (and the importation of plenty of dirty steel). When pushed about the many thousands of workers who will lose their present jobs, she said that change happens, and the same has happened to bank staff and supermarket checkout assistants - many more she said if one took numbers across the UK. She said this was sad, but that as somebody who drives through Port Talbot from time to time witnessing the pollution, she feels the population will be better off with the change. She did not seem convinced by the BBC interviewer's question suggesting that the pace of change could have been somewhat slowed in line with what is happening in Germany and the USA. It is hard to escape the conclusion that, along with genuine concern for the climate, there is a big dollop of virtue signalling here. I hope Baroness Worthington will get a warm welcome whenever she returns to Wales.
[Post edited 30 Sep 8:55]
End of coal on 08:49 - Sep 30 with 1217 viewsblackswan

So we will now have to import high grade steel even after the electric arc is built, obviously by ship from the likes of India and China where their blast furnaces are powered by fairy dust. The woman is so out of touch it's incredible
End of coal on 11:47 - Sep 30 with 1113 viewsraynor94

What a sad day this is, the end of producing virgin steel, which we will now import from abroad.

We might now have an electric arc furnace (I'll believe it when I see it) so we will have no problem in producing tin cans.

If only we were as carbon neutral as China and India

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

End of coal on 11:58 - Sep 30 with 1104 viewsunion_jack

End of coal on 11:47 - Sep 30 by raynor94

What a sad day this is, the end of producing virgin steel, which we will now import from abroad.

We might now have an electric arc furnace (I'll believe it when I see it) so we will have no problem in producing tin cans.

If only we were as carbon neutral as China and India

Seems to me we’ve just played into the hands of these other countries. All in the name of carbon neutral

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

End of coal on 12:57 - Sep 30 with 1071 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

I can’t see any sort of issue with placing control of all natural resources, steel, energy and food into the hands of rogue nations that want to see us destroyed.

None at all.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

End of coal on 13:03 - Sep 30 with 1048 viewsonehunglow

End of coal on 11:58 - Sep 30 by union_jack

Seems to me we’ve just played into the hands of these other countries. All in the name of carbon neutral

Whilst at the same time,these despot countries do not a monkeys give about the environment
Anyone thinking us cutting emissions will affect the world at large is living in la la land
We’ve given jobs away and closed down whole industries and for what
[Post edited 30 Sep 13:06]

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

End of coal on 13:16 - Sep 30 with 1031 viewsFlashberryjack

If you think Baroness Worthington is bad, wait until this twerp implements his plans for net zero.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

End of coal on 13:25 - Sep 30 with 1015 viewsonehunglow

End of coal on 13:16 - Sep 30 by Flashberryjack

If you think Baroness Worthington is bad, wait until this twerp implements his plans for net zero.

He’s a madman

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

End of coal on 13:26 - Sep 30 with 1018 viewsAnotherJohn

End of coal on 13:16 - Sep 30 by Flashberryjack

Can't disagree. Just reacting to what is in front of us today. I see that the Baroness appeared on BBC TV News after her Radio interview.
Login to get fewer ads

End of coal on 15:14 - Sep 30 with 937 viewsSullutaCreturned

It is really barmy, the pollution here will drop but the pollution in India will tise by more than that drop and it all goes into the same armosphere.

We are losing jobs, diminishing our economy and strength, will leave ourselves at the mercy of foreign politicians and to cap it all off, will make things (have already made things) in this country muvh more expensive on the back of a pipe dream.

Global emissions will rise, have risen. It's idiotic
End of coal on 15:19 - Sep 30 with 927 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

End of coal on 15:14 - Sep 30 by SullutaCreturned

It is really barmy, the pollution here will drop but the pollution in India will tise by more than that drop and it all goes into the same armosphere.

We are losing jobs, diminishing our economy and strength, will leave ourselves at the mercy of foreign politicians and to cap it all off, will make things (have already made things) in this country muvh more expensive on the back of a pipe dream.

How do we stop it when all the major parties and politicians are fully signed up to it and think anyone who objects is a far right racist gammon or words to that effect?

End of coal on 15:20 - Sep 30 with 925 viewsFlashberryjack

Bit like brushing the dust under the carpet, then saying " look how clean my house is"

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

End of coal on 15:39 - Sep 30 with 919 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Anyone who thinks this makes any difference to global co2 has been misled.

"CO2 Emissions by Country 2023 - Wisevoter" https://wisevoter.com/country-rankings/co2-emissions-by-country/

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

End of coal on 16:16 - Sep 30 with 889 viewsAnotherJohn

As we close a blast furnace here, Tata in India opens a bigger one.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/states/odisha/2024/Sep/21/tata-steel-commission

It is a marginally more efficient design, but as I understand things still burns coke.
End of coal on 16:59 - Sep 30 with 869 viewsmax936

End of coal on 15:39 - Sep 30 by JACKMANANDBOY

"CO2 Emissions by Country 2023 - Wisevoter" https://wisevoter.com/country-rankings/co2-emissions-by-country/

Said it for ages, its a massive con to rip off the tax payer and make these compactness who use the buzz word Net Zero richer.
Look at the money they are throwing at these contracts to put Solar, ASHP's and EV's the cost of converting every eligible property owner who go for these offers is upwards of 40k all government funded and who pays for it, the hard working Tax payer.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

End of coal on 17:28 - Sep 30 with 848 viewsSullutaCreturned

End of coal on 15:39 - Sep 30 by JACKMANANDBOY

I believe that in the last 5 years China's emissions have risen by more than our total output.

China's emissions are more than the next 4 countries combined and India's output is over 2,11Mt more than ours and will rise further.
End of coal on 17:30 - Sep 30 with 845 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

End of coal on 17:28 - Sep 30 by SullutaCreturned

I believe that in the last 5 years China's emissions have risen by more than our total output.

China's emissions are more than the next 4 countries combined and India's output is over 2,11Mt more than ours and will rise further.

Also, India increased its output by 50 percent of our total output last year.
We are being taken for mugs.

End of coal on 18:04 - Sep 30 with 784 viewsraynor94

End of coal on 16:16 - Sep 30 by AnotherJohn

As we close a blast furnace here, Tata in India opens a bigger one.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/states/odisha/2024/Sep/21/tata-steel-commission

It is a marginally more efficient design, but as I understand things still burns coke.

It's producing Virgin Steel, so yes will be burning coke

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

End of coal on 18:17 - Sep 30 with 755 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

End of coal on 17:30 - Sep 30 by JACKMANANDBOY

Also, India increased its output by 50 percent of our total output last year.
We are being taken for mugs.

To put it into context the population of China and India combined is not far off 4 billion. Ours is around 65 million. Even if we went back to Stone Age living today the effect on global air quality would be the equivalent of a bloke holding in a fart in the Grand Canyon.

End of coal on 18:31 - Sep 30 with 731 viewsAnotherJohn

End of coal on 18:04 - Sep 30 by raynor94

It's producing Virgin Steel, so yes will be burning coke

Tata Netherlands is said to be building a hydrogen-fueled DRI stage at its IJmuiden plant , so in theory virgin steel can be produced in a different way. But yes, in India the fuel is still coke. In an ideal world Port Talbot could add a DRI front end to the electric arc furnace, and then it could process ore.
[Post edited 30 Sep 18:36]
End of coal on 19:46 - Sep 30 with 662 viewsTummer_from_Texas

I'll just leave this here.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/china-responsible-for-95-of-new-coal-power-construct

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

End of coal on 21:30 - Sep 30 with 586 viewsSullutaCreturned

End of coal on 19:46 - Sep 30 by Tummer_from_Texas

I'll just leave this here.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/china-responsible-for-95-of-new-coal-power-construct

Yes their output has hit new record highs for the last3 years and in the last 5 years they're percentage of global output has gone from roughly 24 up to over 30%.

Unless China, Russia, the USa, India and Iran make the changes what the rest of us in Europe do is meaningless. An expensive meaningless too.
End of coal on 21:35 - Sep 30 with 582 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

End of coal on 21:30 - Sep 30 by SullutaCreturned

Yes their output has hit new record highs for the last3 years and in the last 5 years they're percentage of global output has gone from roughly 24 up to over 30%.

Unless China, Russia, the USa, India and Iran make the changes what the rest of us in Europe do is meaningless. An expensive meaningless too.

The way it's being 'sold' to us it is only the man on the street who is paying, when you look at the global context, for nonsense.

End of coal on 21:39 - Sep 30 with 580 viewsSullutaCreturned

End of coal on 21:35 - Sep 30 by JACKMANANDBOY

The way it's being 'sold' to us it is only the man on the street who is paying, when you look at the global context, for nonsense.

Everything is more epensive because of a "green initiative" that is a load of nonsense.

What they are making us do in the Uk will not make a bit oif difference. Cleaner air in Port Talbot one person said, yeah until the wind is blowing in the wrong direction.
End of coal on 23:38 - Sep 30 with 528 viewsswan65split

all started in the 80s, family silver........ https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/28/selling-family-silver-came
End of coal on 00:45 - Oct 1 with 512 viewsRobbie

Irrelevant of all this carbon neutral nonsense , lets all go green policy and we are all tree huggers now the bottom line is TATA will now open another blast furnace in India with no regard for their lawmaking over emissions , has China also pledged to reduce air pollution .

Tata has taken the UK Governments money , put a recycling drop off point in Port Talbot .
India and their industries wlll be rubbing their hands , bring it on .

Bigger picture is Steel and Coal history are now lost from South Wales forever .

Some will applauded and cheer this news , but for me a sad day , our heritage gone .

Nice to see Stephen Kinnock resurface yesterday , mutter some small talk then disappear again .
[Post edited 1 Oct 0:50]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024