Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smoking outside pubs 21:56 - Aug 29 with 9036 viewscolinallcars

I'm an ex pipe and cigar smoker but jacked it in when Tony Blair banned smoking in pubs.
Now talk of banning it in pub gardens.
I know it's a health risk but so are many things. Smoking outside won't have a deleterious effect on other peoples' health and the pub trade has problems aplenty - any thoughts ?
Smoking outside pubs on 09:29 - Aug 30 with 2383 viewssouthbound_tram

Smoking outside pubs on 23:33 - Aug 29 by colinallcars

I walk past the William Morris in King Street Hammersmith v often and they've had an outside smoking ban for quite a while, although many of the smokers were smoking joints.

Edit..smoking weed in public is by and large accepted and so is shop-lifting,
but not , it seems, having a “snout” in a pub garden.

[Post edited 29 Aug 23:40]

Re. smoking ban. Are you sure? I know they have a no smoking sign on the high st entrance, but that's just to keep the doorway clear. Been a couple of months since I've sat at the tables in the square, but there's ash trays etc.
Smoking outside pubs on 09:31 - Aug 30 with 2378 viewsstowmarketrange

Smoking outside pubs on 07:09 - Aug 30 by plasmahoop

Fair enough, i think it depends what the alternative is to the pub though. Im not saying thats what your kids do obviously, but there has been a rise in computer games, and round here kids hanging around in the car park taking that laughing gas. Personally i think playing sport/ games and having a few beers is better all round, but maybe that will just be a thing of the past

I walked to the game on Tuesday night from Liverpool st and the road from Kensington Gardens down to Holland Park was littered with empty canisters of laughing gas by every lamppost.By some there were cardboard boxes filled with them.I’ve seen a few dotted around in the past,but I’ve never seen so many of them.
Was it all due to the nearby carnival over the weekend?
Smoking outside pubs on 12:04 - Aug 30 with 2084 viewsnumptydumpty

Attack on the smokers - not sure if it's 100% necessary

But as said before 75% to 80% of admissions on Friday and Saturday nights at A & E, are alcohol related

If the government are being seen by themselves to be cleaning up the nation, then surely if they doing this, it doesn't follow that they have no measures to curb drinking.

Am not saying they should, just that by way of comparison, it doesn't add up amd as said a lot take full advantage of the house of commons bar, whilst "working".
[Post edited 30 Aug 12:05]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Smoking outside pubs on 12:15 - Aug 30 with 2026 viewsBoston

I'm not a smoker, but this is a drag.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Smoking outside pubs on 12:16 - Aug 30 with 2021 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Smoking outside pubs on 01:23 - Aug 30 by HAYESBOY

I think if you are outside in an area where you are serving food. It should be banned.
Outside on the street, no, you cant ban that.
As for outside schools, I would have no problem with putting a ban in close areas near the school..

....And hospitals!

Last night visiting a friend recovering from heart surgery, we went for a stroll and then sat down in a patio area of the hospital. Two patients, and their visitors, sparked up and despite being so considerate and not blowing they smoke in and among themselves, the ignorant cnts blew it our way.

Shooting is too good for them, but in the absence of this drastic measure, then what 'ayesboy said!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Smoking outside pubs on 12:29 - Aug 30 with 1976 viewsBoston

Smoking outside pubs on 12:04 - Aug 30 by numptydumpty

Attack on the smokers - not sure if it's 100% necessary

But as said before 75% to 80% of admissions on Friday and Saturday nights at A & E, are alcohol related

If the government are being seen by themselves to be cleaning up the nation, then surely if they doing this, it doesn't follow that they have no measures to curb drinking.

Am not saying they should, just that by way of comparison, it doesn't add up amd as said a lot take full advantage of the house of commons bar, whilst "working".
[Post edited 30 Aug 12:05]

You wouldn't believe the number of head injuries caused by Turkish barbers.
[Post edited 30 Aug 12:30]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Smoking outside pubs on 14:24 - Aug 30 with 1777 viewsGloryHunter

Having a non-smoking area in a pub garden is like having a non-urinating area in a swimming pool.
Smoking outside pubs on 15:55 - Aug 30 with 1691 viewsHooping_Mad

Smoking outside pubs on 01:23 - Aug 30 by HAYESBOY

I think if you are outside in an area where you are serving food. It should be banned.
Outside on the street, no, you cant ban that.
As for outside schools, I would have no problem with putting a ban in close areas near the school..

For context, I work in education and I smoke and I have limited mobility.

Sounds great but what about my rights? So I for one will have to drive offsite at lunch for a fag does that really make sense to you?

I honestly think as a country we have bigger problems, but then these useful distraction technique will abound for the next few years.

3rd rate government's that exist in the realms of smoke and mirrors trying to ban smoking really is a sick joke.

Edit: worth mentioning education staff are expected to smoke offsite and out of site already.
[Post edited 30 Aug 16:01]

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Login to get fewer ads

Smoking outside pubs on 17:00 - Aug 30 with 1583 viewsqpr_1968

Smoking outside pubs on 09:31 - Aug 30 by stowmarketrange

I walked to the game on Tuesday night from Liverpool st and the road from Kensington Gardens down to Holland Park was littered with empty canisters of laughing gas by every lamppost.By some there were cardboard boxes filled with them.I’ve seen a few dotted around in the past,but I’ve never seen so many of them.
Was it all due to the nearby carnival over the weekend?

it certainly was....went past latimer road station tuesday morning, 6am, from there to the maxilla, if anyone knows the area, they were loaded all along the pavement where the bin men had stacked them in little groups.....looked like a load of coloured meerkats.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Smoking outside pubs on 17:02 - Aug 30 with 1566 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Labour really are a bunch of totalitarian tossers. Smoking will be a thoughtcrime soon.

Meanwhile...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/clyg1j0lv1go
Smoking outside pubs on 17:55 - Aug 30 with 1491 viewsloftupper

Are these not exactly the same arguments used when the smoking ban came in initially, didn't work then and won't work now. Can't imagine people smoking indoors now and in a few years it will seem weird to remember people smoking in shared areas like pub gardens as well.
Smoking outside pubs on 17:58 - Aug 30 with 1464 viewsNed_Kennedys

Smoking outside pubs on 17:55 - Aug 30 by loftupper

Are these not exactly the same arguments used when the smoking ban came in initially, didn't work then and won't work now. Can't imagine people smoking indoors now and in a few years it will seem weird to remember people smoking in shared areas like pub gardens as well.

Well if this comes in there will be far less pub gardens around in the future.
Smoking outside pubs on 19:15 - Aug 30 with 1365 viewsJigsore

We've had plenty of authoritarians in charge of the country but none as petty as Keir Starmer. this policy is him all over and warmed-up new labour at their worst.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Smoking outside pubs on 19:55 - Aug 30 with 1289 viewsHooping_Mad

Smoking outside pubs on 17:55 - Aug 30 by loftupper

Sadly it's far more likely the solution will in fact be no pubs, nearly 9000 lost since 2010.

The anti smoking lobby said the indoor ban would make more people would go out and spend, well they didn't then and they are not going to now.

So the death of pubs it is.

Smoking outside pubs on 19:57 - Aug 30 with 1282 viewsHooping_Mad

Smoking outside pubs on 06:28 - Aug 30 by plasmahoop

I think tbis os a bad sign. Last time labour were in they did their best to kill off pubs with endless tax risrs, smoking ban followed by the alcohol escalator. Now theyve returned to finish the job. I am concerned about the local darts league im in, a fair few folk probably won't bother coming out anymore. And as some of them are old its probably not going to make much difference to them now.

Used to play pub pool, 14 pubs in the league pre 2007.

3 left still trading.

Smoking outside pubs on 21:41 - Aug 30 with 1201 viewsplasmahoop

Smoking outside pubs on 19:57 - Aug 30 by Hooping_Mad

Used to play pub pool, 14 pubs in the league pre 2007.

3 left still trading.

I think its outrageous really. Supposed to be the party of the working class, but they hate them. Just the middle class public sector workers wellbeing party now. I do think nostalgia is at the heart of brexit, because pubs and sports were an intrinsic part of the culture of this country and its gone downhill and they just want to kill it off totally. Doesn't anyone in the labour party like having a pint or a good time? Or are they all puritans
Smoking outside pubs on 22:06 - Aug 30 with 1156 viewsBlackCrowe

You either take the plunge and make it illegal or you keep it as is...i.e. not indoors. But the real thing for me is that the state the country is in, WTF is doing this high on the list of Starmer's headline grabbing priority list and does he think anyone really cares in the grand scheme of things.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Smoking outside pubs on 00:37 - Aug 31 with 1057 viewskensalriser

Smoking outside pubs on 21:41 - Aug 30 by plasmahoop

I think its outrageous really. Supposed to be the party of the working class, but they hate them. Just the middle class public sector workers wellbeing party now. I do think nostalgia is at the heart of brexit, because pubs and sports were an intrinsic part of the culture of this country and its gone downhill and they just want to kill it off totally. Doesn't anyone in the labour party like having a pint or a good time? Or are they all puritans

Pubs were closing long before the smoking ban. Much cheaper booze in supermarkets has more to do with it, along with property values and the business practices of the pub companies.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Smoking outside pubs on 01:14 - Aug 31 with 1034 viewsloftupper

Some pubs are thriving, have adapted to a changing market. Plenty serving a good range of beer and some very decent food. I didn’t used to mind a grotty pub on a football away day but these days I must admit I prefer somewhere I can get a decent lunch before the game
Smoking outside pubs on 01:45 - Aug 31 with 1019 viewsHAYESBOY

Smoking outside pubs on 15:55 - Aug 30 by Hooping_Mad

For context, I work in education and I smoke and I have limited mobility.

Sounds great but what about my rights? So I for one will have to drive offsite at lunch for a fag does that really make sense to you?

I honestly think as a country we have bigger problems, but then these useful distraction technique will abound for the next few years.

3rd rate government's that exist in the realms of smoke and mirrors trying to ban smoking really is a sick joke.

Edit: worth mentioning education staff are expected to smoke offsite and out of site already.
[Post edited 30 Aug 16:01]

With respect to you, yes, if it means kids do not inhale second hand smoke, then you can go to another area where kids are not congregating.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Smoking outside pubs on 08:28 - Aug 31 with 903 viewsdaveB

Smoking outside pubs on 19:15 - Aug 30 by Jigsore

We've had plenty of authoritarians in charge of the country but none as petty as Keir Starmer. this policy is him all over and warmed-up new labour at their worst.

I'm old enough to remember when the Tories were going to ban smoking completely, was on their manifesto for an election
Smoking outside pubs on 10:17 - Aug 31 with 821 viewsfrancisbowles

Weren't pub gardens meant to be an area for families?
Smoking outside pubs on 13:28 - Aug 31 with 754 viewsGroveR

Smoking outside pubs on 01:14 - Aug 31 by loftupper

Some pubs are thriving, have adapted to a changing market. Plenty serving a good range of beer and some very decent food. I didn’t used to mind a grotty pub on a football away day but these days I must admit I prefer somewhere I can get a decent lunch before the game

The key thing there is the element of choice. The places I take my family and the places I drink with my mates are polar opposites but that's by choice. If you want to drink somewhere where chang is being hoovered in the toilets, shoplifters are selling meat by the bag and a plastered painter called Del keeps cornering you to tell you why his wife left and his kids hate him, that's your choice.

On the original topic, I stopped smoking nearly 18months ago after 25yrs. I'd average around 10-15 fags a day and double that drinking, especially in a sunny day, in a pub garden, ideally one with a big screen showing live sport.

During one of the May bank holidays last year, the weather was perfect so went out with mates on an all-dayer. As the pub I was in does table service in the garden, I only moved from the garden table to pìss and ended up chain-smoking nearly 60 cigarettes. That's fùcking rank on it's own, but my overriding sense at the time was "fùck me I've dropped £50 on fags in a day" (I smoked B&H Gold).

The long-winded point I'm trying to make is the ability (or not) to smoke in the garden was irrelevant to me - I'd have smoked the same amount had I had to walk the 6ft out the gate to smoke on the road. My stop-trigger - and it'll be different for everyone - was I might as well have set fire to that £50.

If this government raised the price of tobacco to make smoking prohibitively expensive (as the Aussies have), or raised the minimum age to effectively outlaw smoking (as the Kiwis are doing), then fair enough. Banning smoking in pub gardens is nothing more than an attack on the hospitality industry that will achieve next to nothing other than accelerating the closure of thousands more pubs and their inevitable conversion into flats.

Good luck to anyone trying to stop. Believe in yourself and you'll get there.
[Post edited 31 Aug 13:31]
Smoking outside pubs on 15:18 - Aug 31 with 671 viewsted_hendrix

I've just driven past the Lord Nelson pub here In Wantage, the pub has been literally taken over by about 250-300 Hells Angels.
They are lounging In the pubs garden and incredible as It may seem some of them are smoking enormous roll up type of thingy's that are emitting large clouds of smoke Into the air.
As a law abiding citizen I'm shortly gonna go down to the pub and start beating a few of them up and point them In the general direction In the errors of their way.
But first I'm gonna have a nice cup of tea.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Smoking outside pubs on 15:36 - Aug 31 with 628 viewsLazyFan

Easy way to solve all of this.
Have specific places provided for smokers to smoke.
Smokatoriums and then people cannot random ever ingest passive smoke, and everyone knows what they are letting themselves in for.

Source: https://judgedredd.fandom.com/wiki/Smokatorium

If you don't like this approach, you're a woke snowflake!

zzzzzzzzzz

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024