Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leaving loftus road... 01:47 - Jun 9 with 13313 viewsqpr_1968

what would it mean to you....would it matter?

selfish reasons.....i live local, so yes.
sentimental reasons...yes
moving to a soulless ground in the middle of nowhere....no

yet here's the contradictory bit.....i'd love a 30,000 stadium, with a lovely bit of leg room, and a concourse with decent facilities/toilets/food drink....and safe standing.

what would be the furthest from loftus road you would accept....regardless of where you live.
again for selfish reasons i'd say stay.....

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Leaving loftus road... on 14:37 - Jun 18 with 2304 viewsstainrods_elbow

Leaving loftus road... on 19:48 - Jun 17 by Ned_Kennedys

What are you talking about? We had a number of sold out games towards the end of the season.
Unless the staff who were turning away punters at the box office were lying.

A couple, perhaps, I'll grant you, though the club generally doesn't sell all its seats for 'safety' and other reasons, actually, and we had those annoying seat coverings over the lower tier of the School End in a couple of those games at least.

Anyway, you're nit-picking. My argument stands, I'm afraid.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Leaving loftus road... on 15:11 - Jun 18 with 2271 viewsJuzzie

'sold out' refers to tickets made available as opposed to overall capacity so I guess our true capacity is around 17.5k when you take into account the seats not made available for sale.

When we played Sheff Weds we still had more than when Brentford played Man Utd the week before
Leaving loftus road... on 21:10 - Jun 18 with 2093 viewsqpr_1968

Leaving loftus road... on 16:03 - Jun 14 by Dave_Lazy

Would it matter?

Yes, my fathers ashes are in the ground and it remains one of the few connections I still have with him.

At the beginning of last season I seriously debated as to whether to cancel my season ticket due to the football and results happening. The fact that I was able to be at the same place that he visited so often and now is at rest there, kept me going.

Selfish? yes. Tenuous? yes.

But it's the memories and attachment I have that goes further than the venue.

good post that dave.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Leaving loftus road... on 09:00 - Jun 19 with 1997 viewsTonto

I had a look at Google maps to see if we could (heavy emphasis on COULD, not should or would!) realistically redevelop the site as a footy stadium. IMO the best thing (with the huuuge caveat below before your blow my head off) would be to buy up the houses on Ellerslie Road and turn the whole stadium 90 degrees.

So I looked up on roghtmove how much the houses sell for. Most of them have been converted to flats. The basement and ground floor flats are around £700k. The top floor flats around £350k. So all in £1.1m to £1.2m per house. There are 23 of them. So that's £30m in round figures before you've started. And that is under the assumption they want to sell. I very much doubt LBHF would agree to CPOs
[Post edited 19 Jun 9:04]

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Leaving loftus road... on 09:58 - Jun 19 with 1900 viewsCamberleyR

Leaving loftus road... on 09:00 - Jun 19 by Tonto

I had a look at Google maps to see if we could (heavy emphasis on COULD, not should or would!) realistically redevelop the site as a footy stadium. IMO the best thing (with the huuuge caveat below before your blow my head off) would be to buy up the houses on Ellerslie Road and turn the whole stadium 90 degrees.

So I looked up on roghtmove how much the houses sell for. Most of them have been converted to flats. The basement and ground floor flats are around £700k. The top floor flats around £350k. So all in £1.1m to £1.2m per house. There are 23 of them. So that's £30m in round figures before you've started. And that is under the assumption they want to sell. I very much doubt LBHF would agree to CPOs
[Post edited 19 Jun 9:04]

Interesting idea about rotating the pitch 90 degrees. Even if (and a big if) you had the Ellerslie properties in your back pocket would there be room to do it? Bearing in mind you have a pitch length of approx 105m plus a few metres space behind and then the stands themselves.

Are those houses in Imre Close behind the School End private or social housing does anyone know? There are 12 houses if Google maps is correct.

Buying the school plot is the realistic route for expansion but the fly in the ointment is those houses in Imre Close.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Leaving loftus road... on 10:29 - Jun 19 with 1834 viewsTonto

Leaving loftus road... on 09:58 - Jun 19 by CamberleyR

Interesting idea about rotating the pitch 90 degrees. Even if (and a big if) you had the Ellerslie properties in your back pocket would there be room to do it? Bearing in mind you have a pitch length of approx 105m plus a few metres space behind and then the stands themselves.

Are those houses in Imre Close behind the School End private or social housing does anyone know? There are 12 houses if Google maps is correct.

Buying the school plot is the realistic route for expansion but the fly in the ointment is those houses in Imre Close.

I didnt measure it, but from gazing at the map it seemed possible to me, and a lot less hassle than the school/Imre Close side.

Leaving loftus road... on 11:18 - Jun 19 with 1759 viewsBuckR

I presume its been heavily looked into already but nothing we could possibly do with buying the Powerleague site and also the cadet base next to it? Footprint is about twice the size of LR
Leaving loftus road... on 11:34 - Jun 19 with 1719 viewsTonto

You might need the houses on white city close too...

Having said this the whole area is up for development.ent in the LBHF local plan. There could be an opportunity for a land swap, move some roads about and solve it that way

Login to get fewer ads

Leaving loftus road... on 11:41 - Jun 19 with 1702 viewsQPR_Jim

Leaving loftus road... on 09:58 - Jun 19 by CamberleyR

In a best case scenario where Imre Close is council owned and the school moves and sells the plot to us, we could propose to shift the stadium towards the school and if acceptable to the council demolish their housing and provide more housing back to them to fit around our stadium plans.

The question for me is whether they would want that, the local plan suggests that they want houses there if we move and I get the feeling that a stadium in a residential area isn't ideal. I assume demolishing houses on ER would also be seen as a reduction in housing in the borough and again frowned upon.

I think the neatest solution is the school and Imre close, if possible. Failing that the only other viable site would be the Latimer Upper playing fields.
Leaving loftus road... on 12:21 - Jun 19 with 1629 viewsSpongeParr

Leaving loftus road... on 11:34 - Jun 19 by Tonto

You might need the houses on white city close too...

Having said this the whole area is up for development.ent in the LBHF local plan. There could be an opportunity for a land swap, move some roads about and solve it that way

This is what made me think that there is something in the pipeline. Loftus Road was sticking out as being included in the re gen. Ill try find the image.
Leaving loftus road... on 12:25 - Jun 19 with 1604 viewsSpongeParr

https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/planning/regeneration-transforming-our-borough/white-cit

Sorry, don't know how to add it as an image. Seems strange that they included LR, without all of Ellerslie Road. Would also tie in with the change in voice from the club about developing LR.
Leaving loftus road... on 12:32 - Jun 19 with 1574 viewsJuzzie

Leaving loftus road... on 13:13 - Jun 19 with 1501 viewsCateLeBonR

Leaving loftus road... on 11:41 - Jun 19 by QPR_Jim

In a best case scenario where Imre Close is council owned and the school moves and sells the plot to us, we could propose to shift the stadium towards the school and if acceptable to the council demolish their housing and provide more housing back to them to fit around our stadium plans.

The question for me is whether they would want that, the local plan suggests that they want houses there if we move and I get the feeling that a stadium in a residential area isn't ideal. I assume demolishing houses on ER would also be seen as a reduction in housing in the borough and again frowned upon.

I think the neatest solution is the school and Imre close, if possible. Failing that the only other viable site would be the Latimer Upper playing fields.

With the school and Imre close we could maybe look at building an Isosceles Trapezium shaped stadium?

With the school end being smaller and shallower and the side stands gradually opening up in size and depth and with a big fck off home stand in the Loft. Make it a wrap around too so we can shove all the Leeds away hordes in a corner somewhere.

*edit spelling
[Post edited 19 Jun 13:47]
Leaving loftus road... on 14:12 - Jun 19 with 1395 viewsBostonR

Leaving loftus road... on 11:18 - Jun 19 by BuckR

I presume its been heavily looked into already but nothing we could possibly do with buying the Powerleague site and also the cadet base next to it? Footprint is about twice the size of LR

If they could do a deal with the freeholders that would be a great footprint. Play at LR whilst the site is being developed. I would of thought other developers also have their eyes on it - particularly given the return on residential development in the area.
Leaving loftus road... on 14:20 - Jun 19 with 1376 viewsNorthernr

That whole south side of SAR is an enormous development opportunity.
Army cadet base largely disused, PowerPlay pitches disposable, Springbok hardly ever open, council flats (??) around Batman Close, Loftus Road QPR need to expand, the school which also needs a bigger facility.
You could do all sorts of things (both worthwhile and less so) with that space, that we could be part of.
Leaving loftus road... on 14:50 - Jun 19 with 1266 viewsJuzzie

Leaving loftus road... on 14:20 - Jun 19 by Northernr

Army cadet base largely disused, PowerPlay pitches disposable, Springbok hardly ever open, council flats (??) around Batman Close, Loftus Road QPR need to expand, the school which also needs a bigger facility.
You could do all sorts of things (both worthwhile and less so) with that space, that we could be part of.

It's a narrow footprint between SAR and the curve of Wood Crescent by the old TV centre. You could probably squeeze something on there but can't see it being more than 20k, 25k tops.
Maybe something in between but that's about it unless you completely flatten all those flats, pub, shops around Batman close. Build new flats and retail outlets on the site of Loftus Road and bung everyone from Batman Close in there!
Leaving loftus road... on 15:10 - Jun 19 with 1196 viewsHayesender

Dig down?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Leaving loftus road... on 18:42 - Jun 19 with 1041 viewsderbyhoop

As always when this type of thread comes up, the big problem with LR is the footprint. Most recognise that if we want to stay, we have to buy up some extra land to extend.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Leaving loftus road... on 18:56 - Jun 19 with 1030 viewsQPR_Jim

Leaving loftus road... on 14:50 - Jun 19 by Juzzie

It's a narrow footprint between SAR and the curve of Wood Crescent by the old TV centre. You could probably squeeze something on there but can't see it being more than 20k, 25k tops.
Maybe something in between but that's about it unless you completely flatten all those flats, pub, shops around Batman close. Build new flats and retail outlets on the site of Loftus Road and bung everyone from Batman Close in there!

Even then I don't think there's enough space for a new stadium. Using Loftus Road as a guage it would be tight to fit the same in that location and ideally we'd want a slightly bigger plot for leg room, access and corporate/conference facilities.

The barracks + exhibition close flats would be ideal. You can see sold house prices on Rightmove for those two roads, so definitely some if not all privately owned which makes it as likely as buying the houses on Ellerslie road. Imre Close there are no sold house prices, as they use land registry records for these I think it safe to say that they are still owned by the council.

I still suspect that the council would rather get our football stadium out of a residential area though, but time will tell.
Leaving loftus road... on 08:58 - Jun 20 with 898 viewsSpongeParr

Leaving loftus road... on 18:56 - Jun 19 by QPR_Jim

Even then I don't think there's enough space for a new stadium. Using Loftus Road as a guage it would be tight to fit the same in that location and ideally we'd want a slightly bigger plot for leg room, access and corporate/conference facilities.

The barracks + exhibition close flats would be ideal. You can see sold house prices on Rightmove for those two roads, so definitely some if not all privately owned which makes it as likely as buying the houses on Ellerslie road. Imre Close there are no sold house prices, as they use land registry records for these I think it safe to say that they are still owned by the council.

I still suspect that the council would rather get our football stadium out of a residential area though, but time will tell.

Any new stadium would need to have housing with it. Either in the LR site or incorporated in the new area.
Leaving loftus road... on 09:35 - Jun 20 with 839 viewsGloucs_R

If we could buy the school....

Knock SAR stand down, Rebuild it taller, with a potential overhang and lots more seating and corporate space.
Move changing rooms and admin to where the school sits and (as mentioned above) change the design of the School end stand. Something similar to what Southampton used to have...

Modernise the Loft and ER, maybe less seats but more leg room. There were old designs knocking around which showed this.

20k stadium, but far more modern and with a lot more corporate hospitality.

Does anyone know how the new Brentford stadium matches up to the size of LR?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Leaving loftus road... on 09:48 - Jun 20 with 823 viewswombat

Leaving loftus road... on 11:18 - Jun 19 by BuckR

cant see us getting planning permmiosn to easily due to recently built multi million pound flats build a the BBC , cant see them being to happy having a stadium next to there balcony somehow

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Leaving loftus road... on 09:52 - Jun 20 with 810 viewswombat

Leaving loftus road... on 14:20 - Jun 19 by Northernr

maybe too easy an option , buy the school and , relocate it to the army cadet land , they get better open space we aquire a useful piece of land , all being at a much more expensive price than CW could have bought it for , issue is is do the club still have the restrictive covenants in place for how many times they can use LR each calender year ?

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Leaving loftus road... on 10:16 - Jun 20 with 729 viewsTheChef

Leaving loftus road... on 09:35 - Jun 20 by Gloucs_R

Knock SAR stand down, Rebuild it taller, with a potential overhang and lots more seating and corporate space.
Move changing rooms and admin to where the school sits and (as mentioned above) change the design of the School end stand. Something similar to what Southampton used to have...

Modernise the Loft and ER, maybe less seats but more leg room. There were old designs knocking around which showed this.

New Bees stadium I think smaller capacity than LR.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Leaving loftus road... on 11:51 - Jun 20 with 613 viewsNewBee

Leaving loftus road... on 09:35 - Jun 20 by Gloucs_R

It would cost many, many millions to do what you suggest, and all for an extra 2k seats and some corporate hospitality,

I am neither an accountant or a construction expert, but I would be fairly certain that such a venture could never get the money back during the life of the stadium.

Therefore unless your owners were prepared to fund the capital investment needed without requiring any return (v.unlikely?), then surely such a scheme would only be adding to the £2m per month which the club is currently losing, not mitigating it, at least with interest rates where they currently are.

As for the Bees/GTech, three things have emerged from that move.
1. Originally it was meant to have a 20k capacity, but they realised that reducing the overall capacity to 17.5k to allow extra premium seating (lounges etc) would produce a higher return. Therefore your proposal might not even lead to a higher capacity than at present.
2. Our owner has concluded that even with a modern, new 17.5k stadium, it is simply not possible to break even, never mind turn a profit, in the Championship.
3. While experience has shown that even though our first 3 seasons in the PL have been profitable, this has only been by dint of transfer profits and having the lowest wage bill in the division.

And even this last is becoming ever harder, since we can no longer easily sign eg Watkins from Exeter for £5m and sell for £33m, or Toney from Posh for £10m and sell for £50m(?), since every other bugger is onto that now. Meaning that we're now signing players for £25-30m, with wages to match. Which in turn reduced the %age profits to be made, esp when you count the odd dud who has to be sold at a loss.

My guess is that the owner's least worst outcome is to try to stay in the PL long enough to bank a few million quid for when we eventually get relegated, which we can then use to bounce back up again.

Whilst the best possible outcome is to seek major outside investment, which he's doing, in the hope of long term financial sustainability in the PL.

All of which suggests that wherever else QPR might end up, there is no future at LR, whether rebuilt or not, such are the economics of the game these days.

(And I might add that I take no joy in saying any of that for either club, since beyond the local rivalry etc, I'm actually old-school at heart and genuinely like to see clubs like BFC, QPR and Fulham survive and thrive against the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U etc.)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024