Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Retirement Hobbies and Interests 13:02 - Dec 3 with 4091 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

I was stuck in traffic on the M25 on Thursday and rang a colleague who by coincidence was stuck on the M6, he talked about having enough of the travelling and was looking forward to retiring. I asked what he would do in retirement, he didn't have a clue!
I have a bit of an eclectic mix of things to do when I have more time, but I know there will be loads of things I have not thought about, what do you have planned or are doing in retirement?

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 18:56 - Dec 6 with 872 viewsjohnlangy

With me, apart from supporting the Swans, my main interests have been playing guitar and golf (guitar from a long time before retirement).

My advice to the posters that mentioned possibly taking up guitar is this. Buy one. Simple as that.

There are two things that could happen. Either you will take to it which means you'll have the enjoyment of playing for potentially the rest of your life. Which is priceless. Or you won't take to it so you'll end up selling the guitar.

There are many good makes out there at reasonable prices. Look for one that is second hand and spend say £200. If you stick with it that will be the best £200 you'll ever spend. If you decide to give up and sell it you'll get your money back. So it will have cost you nothing. Best deal on the planet.

When I say you'll get your money back what I mean is you may end up selling for £150 or £160. Or if you buy the right one you may even sell it for more than you paid. Either way it's trivial.

I'd suggest asking someone who plays for advice if you decide to look. If you don't know anyone then this forum would be a good place to start.
Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 19:44 - Dec 6 with 833 viewshowenjack

I've learned quite a few chords over the years . I have no musical ear and learned them by memorising chord tablature i.E how they are printed on the page . I started off with Bob Dylan songs . I can recommend him because they are generally open chords with few barres for beginners. if you listen to Dylan and follow the tabs you will soon know when to change from one chord to the next . I would recommend Blood on the tracks a superb album and buy the corresponding song book or download them from the internet.
I am not a natural my son is though and he had lessons when 12 from a mate of mine and was playing romanza note perfect in 6 weeks . That is not easy let me tell you. Unfortunately he didn't keep it up , shame but there you go.
It's good if you can get inspiration from somewhere as it drives you forward a bit .... for me years ago it was a guy called Grant who was friendly with my ex brother in law that's him in the video below.. He used to pop round his house and always had a guitar with him . I was often there visiting and we'd chat and I would watch him play mesmerised at his skill. Iam not a natural and rarely practise now although I may get back in to it.

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 19:55 - Dec 6 with 827 viewsTogg

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 18:56 - Dec 6 by johnlangy

With me, apart from supporting the Swans, my main interests have been playing guitar and golf (guitar from a long time before retirement).

My advice to the posters that mentioned possibly taking up guitar is this. Buy one. Simple as that.

There are two things that could happen. Either you will take to it which means you'll have the enjoyment of playing for potentially the rest of your life. Which is priceless. Or you won't take to it so you'll end up selling the guitar.

There are many good makes out there at reasonable prices. Look for one that is second hand and spend say £200. If you stick with it that will be the best £200 you'll ever spend. If you decide to give up and sell it you'll get your money back. So it will have cost you nothing. Best deal on the planet.

When I say you'll get your money back what I mean is you may end up selling for £150 or £160. Or if you buy the right one you may even sell it for more than you paid. Either way it's trivial.

I'd suggest asking someone who plays for advice if you decide to look. If you don't know anyone then this forum would be a good place to start.

Loads of great tutorials on YouTube. Wish they were there when I was younger.. Once you can play basically you will sound good to a lot people. Enjoy, try to play with others and never get frustrated by the instrument, your ability or people who are just better than you. Now I need to follow that fantastic advice . Best advice as you say. Buy one and give it a go.
Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 19:58 - Dec 6 with 819 viewsTogg

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 19:44 - Dec 6 by howenjack

I've learned quite a few chords over the years . I have no musical ear and learned them by memorising chord tablature i.E how they are printed on the page . I started off with Bob Dylan songs . I can recommend him because they are generally open chords with few barres for beginners. if you listen to Dylan and follow the tabs you will soon know when to change from one chord to the next . I would recommend Blood on the tracks a superb album and buy the corresponding song book or download them from the internet.
I am not a natural my son is though and he had lessons when 12 from a mate of mine and was playing romanza note perfect in 6 weeks . That is not easy let me tell you. Unfortunately he didn't keep it up , shame but there you go.
It's good if you can get inspiration from somewhere as it drives you forward a bit .... for me years ago it was a guy called Grant who was friendly with my ex brother in law that's him in the video below.. He used to pop round his house and always had a guitar with him . I was often there visiting and we'd chat and I would watch him play mesmerised at his skill. Iam not a natural and rarely practise now although I may get back in to it.

It's like learning a foreign language. Enjoy, practice and you will have a basic skill far better than most.
Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 23:37 - Dec 6 with 759 viewsonehunglow

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 19:58 - Dec 6 by Togg

It's like learning a foreign language. Enjoy, practice and you will have a basic skill far better than most.

Or get a Uke and join a club
I was going to buy a Banjolele in Zhuddersfield but got talked into buying an expensive Banjo
Big mistake would sell to a fello jack but buyer collects

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 00:01 - Dec 7 with 751 viewsRobbie

After working so many years in Industry , got out some time ago , result , bored as hell .

Do not do golf , diy , grandchildren , gardening , holidays , and Bargain Hunt ,

Had to keep the mind and body active , so now still working , well North of 60 years of age .
People ask why , you have got your bus pass and State Pension , enjoy yourself .

Probably a personal dilemma , others will differ , but I could not switch off .
Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 12:02 - Dec 7 with 699 viewsTreforys_Jack

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 17:58 - Dec 5 by Treforys_Jack

Any interest in tracing your family tree Jackmanandboy? Very addictive and time consuming. Really enjoyed doing mine.

Guess that's a no then
Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 16:17 - Dec 7 with 634 viewsSullutaCreturned

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 12:02 - Dec 7 by Treforys_Jack

Guess that's a no then

I started doing it, got as far as my great grandparents being from North Devon (fathers side) but then got sidetracked and never went back.
Login to get fewer ads

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 17:15 - Dec 7 with 608 viewsonehunglow

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 16:17 - Dec 7 by SullutaCreturned

I started doing it, got as far as my great grandparents being from North Devon (fathers side) but then got sidetracked and never went back.

Sister in law obsessed with it
She visits graves ffs
I asked my old fella once and got short shrift
Think we have ghosts in Cardigan closets

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 18:21 - Dec 7 with 592 viewsTreforys_Jack

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 16:17 - Dec 7 by SullutaCreturned

It's really addictive and rewarding aa well as never easier with so much online. I got back to the early 1600's which blew my mind a bit.
Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 16:25 - Dec 8 with 498 viewsSullutaCreturned

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 18:21 - Dec 7 by Treforys_Jack

It's really addictive and rewarding aa well as never easier with so much online. I got back to the early 1600's which blew my mind a bit.

Maybe I should look again eh. There may be some juicy stories to be had.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024