Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lineker dropped from MOTD 16:54 - Mar 10 with 39994 viewsBushman

David Attenborough show kicked sideways to iPlayer

What times we live in

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 15:42 - Mar 13 with 1728 viewsClive_Anderson

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 15:17 - Mar 13 by Watford_Ranger

It got good viewing figures because of the curiosity for it. People slow down to see a car crash. The output was amateurish and you can get better coverage online 20 minutes after the match so there’d be next to no demand for that so-called format as a regular occurrence.

Lineker’s tweet wasn’t inaccurate at all. He scares the sht out of the government and its many cheerleaders as he has a social conscience and can’t be cowed and they’ve been completely shown up for what they are. Ditto when they came for Rashford.

Sure his tweet was completely accurate. Who could have forgotten when Hitler loaded immigrants onto trains, to take them away to 5 star hotels costing the country £6.8m a day. If anything they should be tried for war crimes. Christ.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 15:48 - Mar 13 with 1704 viewsWatford_Ranger

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 15:42 - Mar 13 by Clive_Anderson

Sure his tweet was completely accurate. Who could have forgotten when Hitler loaded immigrants onto trains, to take them away to 5 star hotels costing the country £6.8m a day. If anything they should be tried for war crimes. Christ.

I fear you’re being silly now to get the thread closed down and cry martyr.

You probably don’t want a history lesson but the rise of fascism in 30s Germany was a lot more than that. The demonisation of various groups was a slow building process. Nobody, not least Lineker, is alluding to what you’re suggesting and you’re probably just about bright enough to know that.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 15:52 - Mar 13 with 1682 viewsstowmarketrange

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 15:17 - Mar 13 by Watford_Ranger

It got good viewing figures because of the curiosity for it. People slow down to see a car crash. The output was amateurish and you can get better coverage online 20 minutes after the match so there’d be next to no demand for that so-called format as a regular occurrence.

Lineker’s tweet wasn’t inaccurate at all. He scares the sht out of the government and its many cheerleaders as he has a social conscience and can’t be cowed and they’ve been completely shown up for what they are. Ditto when they came for Rashford.

People might have a bit more sympathy for his social concerns if he hadn’t thrown them all in the bin for the money on offer by going to Qatar for the World Cup.
Where were his principles then?
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 15:57 - Mar 13 with 1635 viewsdaveB

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 15:52 - Mar 13 by stowmarketrange

People might have a bit more sympathy for his social concerns if he hadn’t thrown them all in the bin for the money on offer by going to Qatar for the World Cup.

Didn't he go as part of the BBC so not sure he got any extra money out of going, was just part of his job.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 15:58 - Mar 13 with 1634 viewsessextaxiboy

I find Shearers virtuous show of solidarity a bit odd when he is quite happy to defend Newcastle taking Saudi money.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 15:59 - Mar 13 with 1619 viewsdaveB

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 15:19 - Mar 13 by Clive_Anderson

Come on Dave, you're normally reasonable, you must be aware that people have lost their jobs, positions, titles etc. over the years for non-PC views.

Yeah sure they have just don't think many have lost their job due to either criticising or backing or government. This has all felt a bit bizarre from the start, an absolute nothing story turned into a crisis
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 16:01 - Mar 13 with 1592 viewsClive_Anderson

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 15:48 - Mar 13 by Watford_Ranger

You probably don’t want a history lesson but the rise of fascism in 30s Germany was a lot more than that. The demonisation of various groups was a slow building process. Nobody, not least Lineker, is alluding to what you’re suggesting and you’re probably just about bright enough to know that.

So you really do think that trying to secure the borders against illegal immigration is akin to 1930s Germany.

Honestly I think that view is completely mental, but if you do genuinely believe that then it's impossible to argue against logic like that.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 16:06 - Mar 13 with 1580 viewsessextaxiboy

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 16:01 - Mar 13 by Clive_Anderson

So you really do think that trying to secure the borders against illegal immigration is akin to 1930s Germany.

Honestly I think that view is completely mental, but if you do genuinely believe that then it's impossible to argue against logic like that.

Wasnt the regime in Germany rounding up and persecuting people who were already resident there rather than people trying to get there ?
I may be wrong but it doesnt seem like an accurate comparison .
Login to get fewer ads

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 16:07 - Mar 13 with 1579 viewsWatford_Ranger

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 15:52 - Mar 13 by stowmarketrange

A lot of people do. Those that don’t were the same people moaning when he used his platform on the BBC for much of the pre-match coverage of the opening game to shine a light on Qatar rather than ‘sticking to football’. The bloke is never going to win with a certain segment of society and many of those people are going to either openly or secretly sympathise with the government’s rhetoric and that’s ok.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 16:09 - Mar 13 with 1569 viewsJamesB1979

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 15:48 - Mar 13 by Watford_Ranger

Yeah the German government Nuremberg race laws of 1935 for people living in Germany is exactly like it is in the Uk today.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 16:11 - Mar 13 with 1562 viewsJamesB1979

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 16:06 - Mar 13 by essextaxiboy

Wasnt the regime in Germany rounding up and persecuting people who were already resident there rather than people trying to get there ?

100%. It’s sensationalist nonsense.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 16:22 - Mar 13 with 1515 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Nice that everything has worked out so that those lovely socially conscious pundits can rhapsodise about Newcastle bombing Yemen (or beating Southampton, I forget which) and Gary can promote Alistair 'Dossier' Campbell's latest podcast.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 16:32 - Mar 13 with 1477 viewsQPR_Jim

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 16:06 - Mar 13 by essextaxiboy

You're exactly right, but I don't think that's the comparison that Lineker was getting at.

I'm assuming they didn't go rounding up and persecuting people who were an established part of their society overnight, they had to slowly turn opinion against them so people wouldn't stop them, using language and fear. Linekers point is that the government are using language and fear in a similar way to get support for their plans on immigration.

What he's not saying is that the policy is comparable to Nazi policy, I find it weird that people are tying to say that he is.

It's not as sinister as that, the government are simply trying to put attention onto immigration to make it the big issue that needs sorting so that they can say they'll be far better than any other party at sorting it, it's the only way they can improve their image. After all it won't end well for them if they try to claim they should be the party to sort out the economy or strikes given what we've seen in the last 6 months.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 16:38 - Mar 13 with 1457 viewsstowmarketrange

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 15:57 - Mar 13 by daveB

Didn't he go as part of the BBC so not sure he got any extra money out of going, was just part of his job.

I’m sure he could’ve got out of going if he’d wanted to.He is supposed to be freelance too isn’t he?
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 16:39 - Mar 13 with 1455 viewsjoe90

For those who think Linekar’s comparison is not accurate or in some way an exaggeration - Braverman was confronted about her use of language by a holocaust survivor and this was before Linekar’s tweet:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/suella-braverman-holocaust-survivor-refugee

This isn’t about the merits of a government policy, it’s about the use of inflammatory language. What Linekar says has no negative impact on vulnerable people. What government ministers like Braverman says does:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/clashes-outside-asylum-seeke

Maybe Linekar did break impartiality rules, but is that really the big issue here?
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 16:47 - Mar 13 with 1437 viewsderbyhoop

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 13:29 - Mar 13 by Clive_Anderson

Yes he's so popular that half a million more tuned in as soon as his smug visage was off the box.

The problem is the double standards involved. Countless conservatives figures have been cancelled over the years for far less than calling the government a bunch of nazis, but as soon as it's a lefty tw@ts turn then all the stops are pulled out to get him reinstated and suddenly free speech is all that matters.

We both know that if a BBC presenter had called the Labour party a bunch of nazis or called for all illegal immigrants to be deported there's no way any of the people on here backing Lineker for "free speech" would be defending them.

Orwell wrote 1984 after working for the BBC which he absolutely hated. They've got a cheek sticking a statue of him up outside.

I'm struggling to think of any Conservative figures who were cancelled by the BBC, apart from Enoch Powell. In fact, Farage, Nick Griffin and Paul ??? we're regular panellists on #BBCQT.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 16:57 - Mar 13 with 1392 viewsGloryHunter

This just in from that notoriously liberal left-wing outlet, The Daily Telegraph:

Whether or not you like or agree with Lineker, it has to be good news for the country that the BBC and Government cannot control what people can and can’t say about their own personal views. Ultimately, they are nothing to do with his work as a football host.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 17:27 - Mar 13 with 1317 viewsderbyhoop

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 15:42 - Mar 13 by Clive_Anderson

Don't be ridiculous.
Linekers comment was about the language used. Braverman's use of language like "invasion" is not dissimilar to some of the language used to demonise minority groups in 1930s Germany.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 17:35 - Mar 13 with 1280 viewsClive_Anderson

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 17:27 - Mar 13 by derbyhoop

Don't be ridiculous.
Linekers comment was about the language used. Braverman's use of language like "invasion" is not dissimilar to some of the language used to demonise minority groups in 1930s Germany.

Lolz what. Which word would you prefer to use to describe thousands of people, a load of them young blokes, entering a country illegally?

I'm interested which word you'd find acceptable here, I'm guessing not many.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 17:40 - Mar 13 with 1271 viewsQPR_Jim

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 17:35 - Mar 13 by Clive_Anderson

Lolz what. Which word would you prefer to use to describe thousands of people, a load of them young blokes, entering a country illegally?

Thousands would be a good start instead of millions or billions as Braverman has said.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 17:48 - Mar 13 with 1244 viewsderbyhoop

For a single word - desperate or, even, claimants.
But you choose between refugees, asylum seekers or economic migrants. Before that, you'd need to establish their true status. That requires a working system of justice.

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 17:51 - Mar 13 with 1239 viewsR_from_afar

Ironically, you have just answered your own question because you managed to describe the situation without needing to use the word invasion.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 17:55 - Mar 13 with 1222 viewsClive_Anderson

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 17:48 - Mar 13 by derbyhoop

For a single word - desperate or, even, claimants.
But you choose between refugees, asylum seekers or economic migrants. Before that, you'd need to establish their true status. That requires a working system of justice.

The quote is "the country faces an invasion from people travelling in small boats crossing the English Channel". A pretty normal description for anyone not completely hysterical about trying to limit illegal immigration.

And you can't even replace the word invasion with "claimants", it doesn't make sense.
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 18:11 - Mar 13 with 1179 viewsdaveB

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 16:38 - Mar 13 by stowmarketrange

I’m sure he could’ve got out of going if he’d wanted to.He is supposed to be freelance too isn’t he?

you can make the same argument for every footballer, manager, coach, pundit, presenter and reporter who went. Not as though he was the only one, I don't think anyone actually boycotted the thing although may be wrong
Lineker dropped from MOTD on 18:17 - Mar 13 with 1151 viewsKonk

Lineker dropped from MOTD on 17:55 - Mar 13 by Clive_Anderson

The quote is "the country faces an invasion from people travelling in small boats crossing the English Channel". A pretty normal description for anyone not completely hysterical about trying to limit illegal immigration.

And you can't even replace the word invasion with "claimants", it doesn't make sense.

Some would argue that only people “completely hysterical” about illegal immigration would use the word “invasion” to describe a situation where a total of 45,000 asylum seekers and economic migrants arrived illegally in the UK by small boats in 2022. Not saying it’s not an issue that needs to be addressed for a number of reasons, but 45,000 people entering a country of 65,000,000+ armed with the clothes on their backs, because they’re hoping for a safer/more prosperous life for themselves and their families isn’t exactly Blitzkrieg, D-Day, or Russia pummelling the fuc k out of Ukraine is it? Unless, of course, you’re “completely hysterical” about illegal immigration.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024