Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The old man 22:30 - Jun 17 with 15261 viewsBlackCrowe

Sitting here now with the old man, whose life will pass any time between now at the next few days. Proud strong man, 95, overflowing with good stuff and achievement.

Took me to my first QPR game (midweek v.Ipswich 1-0 Eastoe) even though he had no interest in the game.

Quite hard really.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

The old man on 08:28 - Jun 18 with 2548 viewsdanehoop

Lost my dad a little over 20 years ago to the big C. He went into hospital less than a week before he died and my one regret is that we missed his passing by about 15 minutes when we were on the way to the hospital.

Thoughts are with you, cherish the time that you have with him.

Never knowingly understood

The old man on 08:33 - Jun 18 with 2547 viewsjeffranger

That saying my old Man is distasteful & hate it, I never came out with that saying when my dad was alive, nice story though
The old man on 08:59 - Jun 18 with 2487 viewsLogman

Losing a parent is tough but your old man sounds like a good un' and your memories of him will stay forever. No-one can take them away from you. Best wishes.
The old man on 09:13 - Jun 18 with 2467 viewsRs_Holy

Lost Dad 2 years ago… there’s not a day go by when I don’t think about him. 95 is a great age… huge respect to your Dad BlackCrowe
The old man on 09:34 - Jun 18 with 2438 viewswood_hoop

You must have many happy memories to treasure I am sure they will help you and your family through this very difficult time.

I can only send my best wishes,
The old man on 09:36 - Jun 18 with 2432 viewsBklynRanger

Really sorry to hear this, BC. Good that you're there with him.
The old man on 09:44 - Jun 18 with 2413 viewsHantsR

Sorry to hear your news. I hope you are still able to communicate to your Dad all the things you'd like to tell him and things he would like to hear. I guess all we can do on this board is try and empathise and let you feel our support in this difficult period. Wishing you strength.
The old man on 09:46 - Jun 18 with 2408 viewsSnipper

Really sorry to hear about your dad BlackCrowe. As Brian said, keep talking to him, as hearing is one of the last things that fail.

I’m going through the same thing with my mum. We were told that she probably had another 2 months back in late February, but she’s still fighting. She’s a strong woman.

My prayers are with you BC.
Login to get fewer ads

The old man on 09:56 - Jun 18 with 2377 viewsterryb

I can only echo what others have said.

Best wishes Black Crowe to your father, yourself & family.
The old man on 09:58 - Jun 18 with 2380 viewsdannyblue

I feel for you. A very emotional time, and I'm glad for both of you you're getting to spend some of it together. As others have said hopefully the good age and what sounds like a good life gives some consolation.

My condolences also to the others who have lost loved ones recently. Grief changes you, hopefully for the better, in the long run.

And I can't let LoftGirl's comment go either. I am so sorry to hear of your experience and I just hope you have found and can find some pleasure despite the awful things that happened to you through no fault of your own.
The old man on 10:06 - Jun 18 with 2356 viewsfrancisbowles

The old man on 09:58 - Jun 18 by dannyblue

I feel for you. A very emotional time, and I'm glad for both of you you're getting to spend some of it together. As others have said hopefully the good age and what sounds like a good life gives some consolation.

My condolences also to the others who have lost loved ones recently. Grief changes you, hopefully for the better, in the long run.

And I can't let LoftGirl's comment go either. I am so sorry to hear of your experience and I just hope you have found and can find some pleasure despite the awful things that happened to you through no fault of your own.

Nicely put dannyblue. Agree with all of it and best wishes to all concerned.
The old man on 12:11 - Jun 18 with 2280 viewseastside_r

Ditto this. My thoughts are with you.
The old man on 13:01 - Jun 18 with 2228 viewsMrSheen

Yikes, I missed LoftGirl's post, that's terrible, I'm so sorry for you.
The old man on 13:49 - Jun 18 with 2173 viewsR_from_afar

The old man on 09:44 - Jun 18 by HantsR

Sorry to hear your news. I hope you are still able to communicate to your Dad all the things you'd like to tell him and things he would like to hear. I guess all we can do on this board is try and empathise and let you feel our support in this difficult period. Wishing you strength.

Really good point. Don't leave any positive things unsaid.

It's terrible situation which I have also been through recently. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, BC.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

The old man on 17:39 - Jun 18 with 2099 viewsDWQPR

The old man on 13:49 - Jun 18 by R_from_afar

Really good point. Don't leave any positive things unsaid.

It's terrible situation which I have also been through recently. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, BC.

We lost our Dad at the start of 2014. He suffered a major stroke on Xmas morning 2013. He survived a further nine days. He was in his 81st year. He introduced me to QPR from the time I could remember. He was a great Dad. A wonderful man who would always help others. He has the newsagents on the corner of Thorpebank Road and Dunraven Road. The QPR floodlights were in view down the end of Dunraven. For those nine days we knew he was still in and we spent as much time as we could with him, talking, reading, anything. We knew he would never recover and that it was just a waiting game. Driving down to Northwick Park on 2nd January I knew that dawn would be his last. He succumbed just before 5pm that evening. A gentle ending for a big man. Mum and I was with him, my daughter had said her goodbyes ten minutes beforehand. My only regret was that my brother had to be called away from the hospital and arrived back shortly after Dad had gone. I wrote and read his eulogy at his funeral and that was so difficult but equally so heartening for me. He’s up there somewhere, watching the football and the cricket.

All the best BC to your and your family and treasure these last few hours as they will always feel special.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 17:48]

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

The old man on 17:47 - Jun 18 with 2083 viewsenfieldargh

The old man on 17:39 - Jun 18 by DWQPR

We lost our Dad at the start of 2014. He suffered a major stroke on Xmas morning 2013. He survived a further nine days. He was in his 81st year. He introduced me to QPR from the time I could remember. He was a great Dad. A wonderful man who would always help others. He has the newsagents on the corner of Thorpebank Road and Dunraven Road. The QPR floodlights were in view down the end of Dunraven. For those nine days we knew he was still in and we spent as much time as we could with him, talking, reading, anything. We knew he would never recover and that it was just a waiting game. Driving down to Northwick Park on 2nd January I knew that dawn would be his last. He succumbed just before 5pm that evening. A gentle ending for a big man. Mum and I was with him, my daughter had said her goodbyes ten minutes beforehand. My only regret was that my brother had to be called away from the hospital and arrived back shortly after Dad had gone. I wrote and read his eulogy at his funeral and that was so difficult but equally so heartening for me. He’s up there somewhere, watching the football and the cricket.

All the best BC to your and your family and treasure these last few hours as they will always feel special.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 17:48]

With my dad till his final breath, spoke with him all the time about everything and anything.

Rob Steiner had just scored two goals the day before so was telling him all about our Swedish superstar.

Keep strong and know you are not alone

captains fantastic
Poll: SWEET F'IN CAROLINE. Played every half time

The old man on 17:53 - Jun 18 with 2076 viewsdaveB

thoughts with you mate at this tough time, sure you have so many great memories of your life with your Dad,
The old man on 17:53 - Jun 18 with 2078 viewsMick_S

The old man on 07:52 - Jun 18 by kropotkin41

Thinking of you and your dad. With family and a hand held is about as good a way to go as I can imagine.

That’s lovely. We had time to spend with our Dad before he went, not comfortable or pleasant, but vital when looking back. Covid stopped us saying a long goodbye to our Mum, because we couldn’t be where we wanted to be.

Good luck mate - difficult times ahead but the good stuff and memories will always win.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

The old man on 22:33 - Jun 18 with 2011 viewsBlackCrowe

Lovely, just lovely. But not surprised either. Thank you.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

The old man on 22:48 - Jun 18 with 1964 viewsMalintabuk

Not the same but I'm in Scotland with my 97 yr old mother in law who had 6 children and nursed her husband through 20 odd years of parkinson before he past
Like your dad they are a totally remarkable.undefeatable and inspirational generation that really did give their today's for our tomorrow
Stay strong BC and hope the QPR FAMILY will help you in this time
The old man on 22:57 - Jun 18 with 1939 viewsDiscodroids

I Think about east ham dave every single day. For all his faults, of which there were many, Theres a chasm in my soul that he used to fill.

Black Crowe, i hope your dad is settling in for the long nap. By the light of his new sun.

xx

".... You are the... Duke of New York... You're A-Number One!".

The old man on 23:12 - Jun 18 with 1922 viewspaulparker

Stay strong Blackcrowe& remember the good times and the great life he had

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The old man on 23:28 - Jun 18 with 1907 viewsrrrspricey

Feel your pain BC, lost my dad suddenly few years back and would give anything to have the opportunity to spend a few hours with him before he passed.

Be strong and tell him just what he means to you and he'll die a happy man
The old man on 09:59 - Jun 19 with 1807 viewsLoftgirl

The old man on 13:01 - Jun 18 by MrSheen

Yikes, I missed LoftGirl's post, that's terrible, I'm so sorry for you.

Thank you for your kind words.
The old man on 10:01 - Jun 19 with 1805 viewsLoftgirl

Thanks dannyblue.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024