Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boleyn or Upton Park 13:19 - May 9 with 13587 viewsymaohyd

Have I missed the memo that West Ham fans call Upton Park the' Boleyn Ground' rather than Upton Park.

Not that I could give a toss generally, but being an anorak for football general knowledge, since I was a kid have always been able to name all the ground names and never knew it as the Boleyn.

Used to read a few references calling it the Boleyn but practically always Upton Park. Now all of a sudden, Sky Sports news coverage of the last game and everything is the Boleyn.

Curious, have West Ham fans voted to refer to it as the Boleyn recently?

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Boleyn or Upton Park on 19:10 - May 9 with 2611 viewslondonlisa2001

Boleyn or Upton Park on 19:04 - May 9 by Gowerjack

No Lisa I don't think it is.

When I first started watching the Swans (1974) our only nickname was the Swans.

Jacks became more popular as I recall in the mid 80's or so.

I believe that in any case Jacks should be used in relation to the clubs supporters,the team nickname is the Swans.
[Post edited 9 May 2016 19:06]

Yes I agree - but that was my point. I always thought the team were the Irons and the fans the Hammers. It's just that the Hammers is sometimes used for the team themselves as the Jacks is sometimes used for us (not by us) but the Irons is the nickname ?

I'm not suggesting that our nickname is anything but the Swans.
Boleyn or Upton Park on 19:47 - May 9 with 2590 viewsairedale

Boleyn or Upton Park on 19:10 - May 9 by londonlisa2001

Yes I agree - but that was my point. I always thought the team were the Irons and the fans the Hammers. It's just that the Hammers is sometimes used for the team themselves as the Jacks is sometimes used for us (not by us) but the Irons is the nickname ?

I'm not suggesting that our nickname is anything but the Swans.

I find it quite amusing that people from a London area used to rhyming slang call themselves 'Irons', the slang I refer to is 'Iron Hoof'. I used to know paranoid types who wouldn't even order a ginger beer!
Boleyn or Upton Park on 20:12 - May 9 with 2568 viewskarnataka

It's similar to Celtic. Most people refer to their ground as Parkhead but afaik the stadium has always been called Celtic Park which happens to be in the Parkhead area of Glasgow. They play at Celtic Park, Parkhead and West Ham play at The Boleyn Ground, Upton Park or at least they do until tomorrow.
Boleyn or Upton Park on 20:14 - May 9 with 2561 viewsGroo

Hammers has always been the nickname for the team as far as I know, never heard of West Ham being called the irons until this thread, even when I lived in the area for a short while in the 70's, was always Upton Park and the Hammers.

Learn something new every day, even at my age.

The Irons are Scunthorpe isn't it.

Groo does what Groo does best

Boleyn or Upton Park on 20:26 - May 9 with 2542 viewslondonlisa2001

Boleyn or Upton Park on 19:47 - May 9 by airedale

I find it quite amusing that people from a London area used to rhyming slang call themselves 'Irons', the slang I refer to is 'Iron Hoof'. I used to know paranoid types who wouldn't even order a ginger beer!

The people from round there wouldn't dare make fun of anyone for that reason - the legacy of the Krays still lives on...
Boleyn or Upton Park on 20:28 - May 9 with 2537 viewslondonlisa2001

Boleyn or Upton Park on 20:14 - May 9 by Groo

Hammers has always been the nickname for the team as far as I know, never heard of West Ham being called the irons until this thread, even when I lived in the area for a short while in the 70's, was always Upton Park and the Hammers.

Learn something new every day, even at my age.

The Irons are Scunthorpe isn't it.

?

COYI is written on everything to do with West Ham.
Boleyn or Upton Park on 20:31 - May 9 with 2532 viewsairedale

Boleyn or Upton Park on 20:26 - May 9 by londonlisa2001

The people from round there wouldn't dare make fun of anyone for that reason - the legacy of the Krays still lives on...

Yeah, I remember the Luger and Lime order in the Blind Beggar by the psycho one. The reason I mentioned it was the presumption that a lot of them would be homophobes, and in my experience would cringe at the term, let alone be associated with it.
Boleyn or Upton Park on 20:34 - May 9 with 2528 viewslondonlisa2001

Boleyn or Upton Park on 20:31 - May 9 by airedale

Yeah, I remember the Luger and Lime order in the Blind Beggar by the psycho one. The reason I mentioned it was the presumption that a lot of them would be homophobes, and in my experience would cringe at the term, let alone be associated with it.

Oh I realised that, but the one thing the real Cockneys never made mockery of was that...
Login to get fewer ads

Boleyn or Upton Park on 20:34 - May 9 with 2528 viewsSwansNZ

My workmate has been supporting WHU for over 30 years, and he calls it Upton Park, and does not know anyone who calls it Boleyn Ground.

Don’t know why BG has become popular in recent years, although it is it’s official name.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Boleyn or Upton Park on 20:47 - May 9 with 2509 viewsairedale

Boleyn or Upton Park on 20:34 - May 9 by londonlisa2001

Oh I realised that, but the one thing the real Cockneys never made mockery of was that...

With you, and if I was a local at the time neither would I!
Boleyn or Upton Park on 22:14 - May 9 with 2443 viewsgrabsplatter

Boleyn or Upton Park on 18:08 - May 9 by londonlisa2001

Not in that part of London it won't be!

Great highlight for me of going to see us at West Ham a few times was that they used to play Teenage Kicks at the end of the match - do they still do that anyone that went on Saturday?

Much better than What A Beautiful Day !

Yes they played Teenage Kicks at the end of the game - quality song :-)
Boleyn or Upton Park on 22:20 - May 9 with 2435 viewsjacktar

The first time I can ever remember it being referred to as the Boleyn Ground was about 2-3 seasons ago. I thought at the time it was the club sponsor's name (not Anne Boleyn mind) but clearly I was wrong. I worked nearby in Bromley -by-Bow in the early 1970's and despite many of my work colleagues being Hammers supporters, I never once heard reference to Boleyn Ground or the Irons for that matter.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Boleyn or Upton Park on 22:51 - May 9 with 2416 viewswhiterock

I suppose ive always known it as the Boleyn Ground because of the Trick quiz questions when I was a kid, isn't Upton Park like calling the Vetch Field the Sandfields?
Boleyn or Upton Park on 23:01 - May 9 with 2389 viewsCooperman

What do Alfie Moon and Billy Mitchell call it? They only live around the corner so surely they know.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Boleyn or Upton Park on 23:08 - May 9 with 2378 viewsWxmJax

Boleyn or Upton Park on 20:34 - May 9 by SwansNZ

My workmate has been supporting WHU for over 30 years, and he calls it Upton Park, and does not know anyone who calls it Boleyn Ground.

Don’t know why BG has become popular in recent years, although it is it’s official name.

Is he a season ticket holder ?

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Boleyn or Upton Park (n/t) on 23:09 - May 9 with 2269 viewsDarran

[Post edited 9 May 2016 23:09]

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Boleyn or Upton Park on 23:10 - May 9 with 2268 viewsraynor94

Boleyn or Upton Park on 22:20 - May 9 by jacktar

The first time I can ever remember it being referred to as the Boleyn Ground was about 2-3 seasons ago. I thought at the time it was the club sponsor's name (not Anne Boleyn mind) but clearly I was wrong. I worked nearby in Bromley -by-Bow in the early 1970's and despite many of my work colleagues being Hammers supporters, I never once heard reference to Boleyn Ground or the Irons for that matter.

Have you ever been to a West Ham game? it's always been their chant, come on you irons! and I'm 60

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Boleyn or Upton Park on 23:11 - May 9 with 2266 viewsSwansNZ

Boleyn or Upton Park on 23:08 - May 9 by WxmJax

Is he a season ticket holder ?

Aye, dedicated fan, a 48 hour round trip to attend all home games.
He does not go to away games, as they are too far.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Boleyn or Upton Park on 23:18 - May 9 with 2257 viewsWxmJax

Boleyn or Upton Park on 23:11 - May 9 by SwansNZ

Aye, dedicated fan, a 48 hour round trip to attend all home games.
He does not go to away games, as they are too far.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Boleyn or Upton Park on 23:18 - May 9 with 2256 viewsjack_lord

Boleyn or Upton Park on 14:28 - May 9 by monmouth

I was fascinated by the E&C when I was a kid because of the name and because it was the end of the tube line. Then, as an adult, I went there. Mistake.

Isn't that the truth. I was working about two hundred yards up from the Elaphant and Castle and one day decided to drive to work over from Richmond (drove past my next door neighbour from Mumbles in Clapham - small world) it took nearly 2 hours and when I got there my manager asked where I had parked and when I told him he said if I expected it to be there when we finished work :(

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Boleyn or Upton Park on 00:43 - May 10 with 2204 viewsjacktar

Boleyn or Upton Park on 23:10 - May 9 by raynor94

Have you ever been to a West Ham game? it's always been their chant, come on you irons! and I'm 60

Seen West Ham games many times over the years though sadly not at Boleyn Ground. Must say never noticed the "come on you irons" chant. Clearly must have been lost in translation, cos I'don't speak cockerney like.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Boleyn or Upton Park on 02:12 - May 10 with 2177 viewsLoyal

Well.
As I have said already.

End of chat.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Boleyn or Upton Park on 07:02 - May 10 with 2128 viewsEdmundo

I always remember it as Upton Park in yesteryear.........that's the area it's in👍

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

Boleyn or Upton Park on 08:00 - May 10 with 2094 viewsItchySphincter

Boleyn or Upton Park on 18:58 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

Always been Upton Park to me. I've always been aware of the Boleyn name but hardly anyone ever used it until about yesterday.

Exactly.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Boleyn or Upton Park on 08:47 - May 10 with 2075 viewsDevz00

As has already been said, both names are used. Same as irons and hammers. Lots of teams have more than one nickname, hammers and irons are similar things, I don't think it's specifically for the team and fans.

We had 'The Jacks' printed on the back of one of our home shirts recently, wasn't it the centenary one?

All the West Hame fans I know use Upton Park apart from one who has always called it the Boleyn but he's the oldest one I know.
[Post edited 10 May 2016 8:47]

Genetically, paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me. Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024