Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thread of a match 15:44 - Jul 11 with 13558 viewsganjR

Never done a match thread and haven't got QPR player, so in the spirit of our new era, I'll start this one.
Starting XI: Green; Kpekawa, Caulker, Onuoha (c), Schorch; Diakite, Luongo, Gobern, Phillips; Mackie; Polter.
I see that as 4-3-3:
Green
Kpekawa Caulker Onouha Schorch (who is a CB)
DIAKITE Gobern Luongo
Phillips Polter Mackie

Austin and surprisingly... Fer not included as both have started training later than the rest of the squad.
Thread of a match on 18:51 - Jul 11 with 3852 viewsessextaxiboy

Thread of a match on 18:08 - Jul 11 by Northernr

At points this summer it's felt worryingly like the glorious new dawn under Gary Waddock. Really hope I'm wrong. Going to see the Dundee, Newport and Chievo games and try and form some sort of view but I am worried.

Shafted by Shaktar to day , not a lot learned or gained . Not the clubs fault but pre season does not seem to have gone well for a few seasons .

No injuries , bit of team bonding, best we can hope for with oppo like that.Next three games should stretch us a bit more
Thread of a match on 19:15 - Jul 11 with 3715 viewsBAWHoops

I did think that. But before the cancellation we had games against 3 proper teams lined up.
I don't think we've gone too mad on Polter who has actually played at some level as opposed to Cerkas.
That summer with Waddock was a lot of trialists snapped up because we had no money. I'd say a fair bit of money has been spent already.
Don't foresee JET being a starter and the Swindon boys seem like decent investments

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Thread of a match on 19:26 - Jul 11 with 3647 viewsdaveB

not sure we're as bad as were were under Waddock. Still have some very good championship players even if/when Austin and Phillips go. With a few more additions we should comfortably finish mid table
Thread of a match on 19:30 - Jul 11 with 3633 viewsVancouverHoop

The thing with Polter seems to be that he's been jobbed around a lot – four different clubs in three years. A friend keeps in touch with Union Berlin, where he had his most recent, longest, and most successful spell, and was impressed. Sure, it's 2 Bundesliga, which is a shade below Championship level, but a goal every two games isn't bad. If he's given time to settle he could be a find.
Thread of a match on 19:31 - Jul 11 with 3627 viewsNorthernr

Thread of a match on 19:26 - Jul 11 by daveB

not sure we're as bad as were were under Waddock. Still have some very good championship players even if/when Austin and Phillips go. With a few more additions we should comfortably finish mid table

Oh yeh that mob Paladini put together for Waddock was the worst QPR team of the modern era, we're a thousand miles away from that, I'm just saying one or two moments, like the Blackwood signing, the friendly today, feel a bit similar.

I remember Paladini saying before that Italian tour that he and Waddock had been to see the facilities and they were second to none. Then when we got there the team were staying in the finest hotel in Sorrento, but travelling 90 minutes every day along a treacherous cliff side road in high temperatures and heavy traffic to train on a pitch in a rough suburb of Naples where the grass hadn't been cut and there were dogs wandering around the ground. The first match was played on a dreadful artificial pitch so Waddock withdrew the senior players and played Alan McDonald and Tony Roberts. The second game was played in that same ground in Naples and Kevin Gallen knackered his ankle.

It'll never be as shambolic as that, but that game today did bring back a lot of memories!

This post has been edited by an administrator
Thread of a match on 19:36 - Jul 11 with 3589 viewsBrightonhoop

10-0 and folks are complaining? lol I'm going to pin that score line to my desk¬!
Thread of a match on 19:39 - Jul 11 with 3577 viewsGloucs_R

[Post edited 11 Jul 2015 19:42]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Thread of a match on 19:41 - Jul 11 with 3563 viewsdaveB

Thread of a match on 19:31 - Jul 11 by Northernr

Oh yeh that mob Paladini put together for Waddock was the worst QPR team of the modern era, we're a thousand miles away from that, I'm just saying one or two moments, like the Blackwood signing, the friendly today, feel a bit similar.

I remember Paladini saying before that Italian tour that he and Waddock had been to see the facilities and they were second to none. Then when we got there the team were staying in the finest hotel in Sorrento, but travelling 90 minutes every day along a treacherous cliff side road in high temperatures and heavy traffic to train on a pitch in a rough suburb of Naples where the grass hadn't been cut and there were dogs wandering around the ground. The first match was played on a dreadful artificial pitch so Waddock withdrew the senior players and played Alan McDonald and Tony Roberts. The second game was played in that same ground in Naples and Kevin Gallen knackered his ankle.

It'll never be as shambolic as that, but that game today did bring back a lot of memories!

This post has been edited by an administrator

yeah today sounded a bit of a farce, i think if we had got Ravel Morrison we'd have been around the playoffs but as it is who knows, we have a better starting point than Waddock did who was basically starting from scratch and had Gallen and Bircham coming to the end. Ramsey has reminded me a lot of Waddock so far but I just think we have better players than that era so should be able to avoid a disaster.
Login to get fewer ads

Thread of a match on 19:55 - Jul 11 with 3510 viewsessextaxiboy

Thread of a match on 19:41 - Jul 11 by daveB

yeah today sounded a bit of a farce, i think if we had got Ravel Morrison we'd have been around the playoffs but as it is who knows, we have a better starting point than Waddock did who was basically starting from scratch and had Gallen and Bircham coming to the end. Ramsey has reminded me a lot of Waddock so far but I just think we have better players than that era so should be able to avoid a disaster.

Is Ravel a no go for sure then ?
Thread of a match on 20:35 - Jul 11 with 3356 viewsNorthernr

Thread of a match on 19:41 - Jul 11 by daveB

Yeh really enjoyed what I heard from both Les and Ramsey at the meeting they held with the sites, and I love some of the signings they've made, and how they're going about it. I just so want them to succeed I'm thinking of all the ways they won't, it's my way
Thread of a match on 21:26 - Jul 11 with 3170 viewsRoller

Thread of a match on 20:35 - Jul 11 by Northernr

Yeh really enjoyed what I heard from both Les and Ramsey at the meeting they held with the sites, and I love some of the signings they've made, and how they're going about it. I just so want them to succeed I'm thinking of all the ways they won't, it's my way

Absolutely Clive, I couldn't agree more.

I have complete confidence in the way they are trying to push our club forwards and will cut them as much slack as is needed...... to an undetermined point.

I've not felt this good about our club for many years.
Thread of a match on 22:03 - Jul 11 with 3062 viewsderbyhoop

We probably couldn't do anything about Shaktar pulling out, but I'm not sure if we got anything worthwhile out of today.

I share Clive's reservations as JET and Polter may not be good enough and we don't know if the 2 lads from Swindon can step up a level. Still too many unknowns.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Thread of a match on 22:31 - Jul 11 with 2968 viewsdanehoop

Thread of a match on 22:03 - Jul 11 by derbyhoop

We probably couldn't do anything about Shaktar pulling out, but I'm not sure if we got anything worthwhile out of today.

I share Clive's reservations as JET and Polter may not be good enough and we don't know if the 2 lads from Swindon can step up a level. Still too many unknowns.

Today was in essence a low level practice game. It was about getting a bit of game time for everyone and letting them get used to the positions they well all playing and the systems being used. Charlie Austin was doing the commentary in the second half and was actually quite interesting. Certainly seems to be impressed with the Swindon lads, but basically said that it will take them a bit of time to get used to the demands of the championship. He also noted that one of the goals scored was something that they had been working on the training ground. Who would have thought training and coaching, Wonder Harry never thought of that. Mentioned too that Les had been doing a bit of coaching with the forwards (definitely some hero worship from Charlie) and working on all round game.

I thought that Gladwin and JET actually looked pretty good. Clint and Nedum were rarely troubled. Some of the youngsters had a good workout and Furlong looked quite useful. So unfortunate that the opposition wasn't up to much, but suspect that the game will have helped the team. Ali looked very good, made some good tackles and quality distribution. Hoilet started to get going after a bit of a clunky start as well and will have taken some encouragement from his performance. Austin gave the impression that there was a bit of confidence boost needed for Hoilet.

Overall it wasn't a tough test, but would have better than just another training session. As the pre season progresses it will be interesting seeing how the team gels.

Never knowingly understood

Thread of a match on 23:12 - Jul 11 with 2829 viewsstansleftfoot

Thread of a match on 22:31 - Jul 11 by danehoop

Today was in essence a low level practice game. It was about getting a bit of game time for everyone and letting them get used to the positions they well all playing and the systems being used. Charlie Austin was doing the commentary in the second half and was actually quite interesting. Certainly seems to be impressed with the Swindon lads, but basically said that it will take them a bit of time to get used to the demands of the championship. He also noted that one of the goals scored was something that they had been working on the training ground. Who would have thought training and coaching, Wonder Harry never thought of that. Mentioned too that Les had been doing a bit of coaching with the forwards (definitely some hero worship from Charlie) and working on all round game.

I thought that Gladwin and JET actually looked pretty good. Clint and Nedum were rarely troubled. Some of the youngsters had a good workout and Furlong looked quite useful. So unfortunate that the opposition wasn't up to much, but suspect that the game will have helped the team. Ali looked very good, made some good tackles and quality distribution. Hoilet started to get going after a bit of a clunky start as well and will have taken some encouragement from his performance. Austin gave the impression that there was a bit of confidence boost needed for Hoilet.

Overall it wasn't a tough test, but would have better than just another training session. As the pre season progresses it will be interesting seeing how the team gels.

None of these Footballers will change how they deal or manage the Football, the key for the season is how they blend and manage any system, or coaching that Les and Chris invest in them.
They are all at different levels technically, Mackie knows he can make things happen if the ball runs his way, Ali Faurlin can do anything with his left foot if his knees hold together...early doors, good signs, try not to measure what's happening right now at QPR against Holloway, Paladini, Hughes, Redknapp, Beard and Bhattia...its business as usual, but totally different....Trust in Sir Les!
None of these players will become better 'ballers but they must become a "side".
Those are the clues we must be looking for....next game please...progress from here until we meet the mighty Charlton....Diakite is a gripping prospect...match winner definitely, if only he can avoid losing the match and get sent off before hand!
Transform Diakite transform our season!
Thread of a match on 23:28 - Jul 11 with 2791 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

I'm feeling positive, there's 23 pub teams in the Championship and we've got to play them all... twice.
Thread of a match on 07:00 - Jul 12 with 2560 viewsstevec

Thread of a match on 21:26 - Jul 11 by Roller

Absolutely Clive, I couldn't agree more.

I have complete confidence in the way they are trying to push our club forwards and will cut them as much slack as is needed...... to an undetermined point.

I've not felt this good about our club for many years.

My gast, as they say, has never been so flabbered.
Thread of a match on 07:39 - Jul 12 with 2518 viewsbatmanhoop

a good yardstick is listen to the fans of the clubs the players have left. We know about Mackie and the 4 others have had excellent reviews from the fans. A couple of decent signings and we'll be fine
Thread of a match on 12:29 - Jul 12 with 2230 viewsterryb

Of course we should have won easily yesterday, but it wouldn't have really mattered had we won by just the six.

However, I'm getting concerned about expectations for this season. Quite a lot of us have stated that we will be very happy with a mid table position, then I read in this thread that playing games like yesterday's could mean we will be in a relegation battle or on the contrary, be challenging for promotion.

Please restrain from getting upset though if Monaco comfortably beat us. I doubt that will happen as they will be nowhere near their full side or peak fitness.

Neither will we be!

I expect at least four of the Italy touring party will have left before Septemnber arrives (perhaps before August), but even with no replacments it would be on a par with nearly all the squads we have had in the championship since the victory at Hillsborough.
Thread of a match on 12:43 - Jul 12 with 2206 viewsganjR

Thread of a match on 12:29 - Jul 12 by terryb

Of course we should have won easily yesterday, but it wouldn't have really mattered had we won by just the six.

However, I'm getting concerned about expectations for this season. Quite a lot of us have stated that we will be very happy with a mid table position, then I read in this thread that playing games like yesterday's could mean we will be in a relegation battle or on the contrary, be challenging for promotion.

Please restrain from getting upset though if Monaco comfortably beat us. I doubt that will happen as they will be nowhere near their full side or peak fitness.

Neither will we be!

I expect at least four of the Italy touring party will have left before Septemnber arrives (perhaps before August), but even with no replacments it would be on a par with nearly all the squads we have had in the championship since the victory at Hillsborough.

I agree.
Coming mid-table means that we will play SH!t on a few occasions, maybe in a row. May be easily beaten by 1 or 2 and won't have players who are the finished article.
It's a work in progress, it'll take time and patience, 2 things we all seem to lack nowadays.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024