Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
GOMIS F'n Signs!!! 20:40 - Jun 27 with 23459 viewsSTEVE1

Gomis signed on official site

This post has been edited by an administrator
GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 14:02 - Jun 28 with 1760 viewsswanseacityfan

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 13:59 - Jun 28 by Drizzy

So we're likely paying massive money to a 29 year old who isn't suited to playing with Bony, doesn't offer a different skill set to Bony and will only be playing if Bony needs a rest or during the handful of games he'll miss for the ACON.

Fantastic.

Would you prefer us back in league one?

"Na na na na na na na na na, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Sigurdsson, Gylfi Sigurdsson"

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 14:07 - Jun 28 with 1742 viewsDrizzy

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 14:02 - Jun 28 by swanseacityfan

Would you prefer us back in league one?

Yes that's it. Being skeptical about a signing means I want the club to be back in League One.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 14:10 - Jun 28 with 1731 viewsswanseacityfan

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 14:07 - Jun 28 by Drizzy

Yes that's it. Being skeptical about a signing means I want the club to be back in League One.

There is nothing to suggest he isn't a fantastic signing.

He hasn't broken the bank for us either. How can a very skilful player who has scored at champions league level and bagged about 40 goals in two seasons be seen as a bad thing?

He should be a player who is out of our reach.

I am puzzled with the expectations of some of our fans.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2014 14:12]

"Na na na na na na na na na, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Sigurdsson, Gylfi Sigurdsson"

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 14:10 - Jun 28 with 1730 viewsBrynmill_Jack

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 13:59 - Jun 28 by Drizzy

So we're likely paying massive money to a 29 year old who isn't suited to playing with Bony, doesn't offer a different skill set to Bony and will only be playing if Bony needs a rest or during the handful of games he'll miss for the ACON.

Fantastic.

Oh bore off FFS. You have had nothing positive to say about anything since Monk was appointed .

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 14:21 - Jun 28 with 1709 viewsDrizzy

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 14:10 - Jun 28 by swanseacityfan

There is nothing to suggest he isn't a fantastic signing.

He hasn't broken the bank for us either. How can a very skilful player who has scored at champions league level and bagged about 40 goals in two seasons be seen as a bad thing?

He should be a player who is out of our reach.

I am puzzled with the expectations of some of our fans.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2014 14:12]

I'm not talking about the Gomis of the past I'm talking about the Gomis of today. He's not the player he was and can't see how he offers anything different and can't see him being able to play alongside Wilf effectively for 90 minutes.

How on earth can you say he hasn't broken the bank? We've given him a 4 year deal and he's most likely our highest paid player. The guy proved in contract negotiations with Lyon last season that he's after big money and he probably got it from us.

I have no problem with big fees (see: Bony, Wilfried) as they're one off costs easily managed but big money over a 4 year deal worries me and sets a bad precedent.

We've built our recent success on signing quality unknowns while occasionally splashing out when top players become available (Bony, Shelvey). Signing over-the-hill big name free agents like Fabianski and Gomis isn't the way we've done things.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 14:23 - Jun 28 with 1700 viewsBrynmill_Jack

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 14:21 - Jun 28 by Drizzy

I'm not talking about the Gomis of the past I'm talking about the Gomis of today. He's not the player he was and can't see how he offers anything different and can't see him being able to play alongside Wilf effectively for 90 minutes.

How on earth can you say he hasn't broken the bank? We've given him a 4 year deal and he's most likely our highest paid player. The guy proved in contract negotiations with Lyon last season that he's after big money and he probably got it from us.

I have no problem with big fees (see: Bony, Wilfried) as they're one off costs easily managed but big money over a 4 year deal worries me and sets a bad precedent.

We've built our recent success on signing quality unknowns while occasionally splashing out when top players become available (Bony, Shelvey). Signing over-the-hill big name free agents like Fabianski and Gomis isn't the way we've done things.

Perhaps the board have realised that we now not only need to consolidate our position in the PL but to actively seek to improve it as well.

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 14:31 - Jun 28 with 1671 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 14:23 - Jun 28 by Brynmill_Jack

Perhaps the board have realised that we now not only need to consolidate our position in the PL but to actively seek to improve it as well.

About time.

If anyone is caught happily saying the words "17th will be good" or similar should be banned for life. Where's the ambition.

We're paying continental strikers £4m a season, we're not in the same league as the likes of Burnley and West Brom. We're a league above. The sooner some of you realise this the better. Top 11 is the absolute minimum aim. Anything below will not have been a good season. Improving every season should be our aim, not being happy to mix it up at the bottom of the table providing we finish 17th or above. It baffles me it really does.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 14:39 - Jun 28 with 1643 viewsexiledclaseboy

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 14:31 - Jun 28 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

About time.

If anyone is caught happily saying the words "17th will be good" or similar should be banned for life. Where's the ambition.

We're paying continental strikers £4m a season, we're not in the same league as the likes of Burnley and West Brom. We're a league above. The sooner some of you realise this the better. Top 11 is the absolute minimum aim. Anything below will not have been a good season. Improving every season should be our aim, not being happy to mix it up at the bottom of the table providing we finish 17th or above. It baffles me it really does.

I don't share that view. Every season we're still in the Premier League is ultimately a "good season" as far as I'm concerned, whether we finish 17th or second. Now you're younger than I am and have probably only been following the Swans for as long as we've had success. Before anyone jumps, that's not a criticism, it's just a fact. Anyone young enough to have only been following the Swans in the last ten years or so has really only seen wall to wall success and one new, historic achievement after another. This however does lead to higher (and some would argue unrealistic) expectations about what Swansea City is and what it should be aiming to achieve. This isn't exclusive to younger fans of course and I'm not trying to stigmatise. We have some who have been around for a lot longer with similar outlandish expectations.

Poll: Tory leader

Login to get fewer ads

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 17:06 - Jun 28 with 1570 viewsAngelRangelQS

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 14:39 - Jun 28 by exiledclaseboy

I don't share that view. Every season we're still in the Premier League is ultimately a "good season" as far as I'm concerned, whether we finish 17th or second. Now you're younger than I am and have probably only been following the Swans for as long as we've had success. Before anyone jumps, that's not a criticism, it's just a fact. Anyone young enough to have only been following the Swans in the last ten years or so has really only seen wall to wall success and one new, historic achievement after another. This however does lead to higher (and some would argue unrealistic) expectations about what Swansea City is and what it should be aiming to achieve. This isn't exclusive to younger fans of course and I'm not trying to stigmatise. We have some who have been around for a lot longer with similar outlandish expectations.

I think people need to differentiate between progressing as a club and progressing in terms of where we finish in the league. For me, it's the former that's all important.

Also the amount of guff spouted on here is unreal. Some people really do have agendas against he club. If anyone thinks we can't afford the Gomis deal they obviously don't have a very good grasp on the way this club is run
GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 17:12 - Jun 28 with 1554 viewsBanosswan

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 17:06 - Jun 28 by AngelRangelQS

I think people need to differentiate between progressing as a club and progressing in terms of where we finish in the league. For me, it's the former that's all important.

Also the amount of guff spouted on here is unreal. Some people really do have agendas against he club. If anyone thinks we can't afford the Gomis deal they obviously don't have a very good grasp on the way this club is run

Good post. If we finish 17th every year for the next 5-10 years, but keep building off the pitch, obtaining cat 1 academy status, expanding stadium, improving grass roots coaching etc, this will be of much more benefit than finishing five places higher some years. Noone wants to survive by the skin of their teeth every year, but we have the opportunity to put everything in place to be a mainstay in the premier league and then look to push on to the top six.

Besides, the club are investing in the playing side of things, so looks like we're doing both, just sensibly.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 17:14 - Jun 28 with 1540 viewsAngelRangelQS

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 17:12 - Jun 28 by Banosswan

Good post. If we finish 17th every year for the next 5-10 years, but keep building off the pitch, obtaining cat 1 academy status, expanding stadium, improving grass roots coaching etc, this will be of much more benefit than finishing five places higher some years. Noone wants to survive by the skin of their teeth every year, but we have the opportunity to put everything in place to be a mainstay in the premier league and then look to push on to the top six.

Besides, the club are investing in the playing side of things, so looks like we're doing both, just sensibly.

Yep. Build the foundations first - which is what we're doing.
GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 17:24 - Jun 28 with 1514 viewsthe_oracle

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 14:39 - Jun 28 by exiledclaseboy

"Every season we're still in the Premier League is ultimately a "good season" as far as I'm concerned, whether we finish 17th or second".

A good season for whom? The shareholders who share value improves each year we are in it, or the fan who travels across the country to see a weakened team put out in cup games or against the bigger teams in order to protect the better players for the more "winnable games" ?

Football is about glory, winning things and beating the big boys. Success is not survival at all costs.
GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 17:29 - Jun 28 with 1507 viewsAngelRangelQS

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 17:24 - Jun 28 by the_oracle

"Every season we're still in the Premier League is ultimately a "good season" as far as I'm concerned, whether we finish 17th or second".

A good season for whom? The shareholders who share value improves each year we are in it, or the fan who travels across the country to see a weakened team put out in cup games or against the bigger teams in order to protect the better players for the more "winnable games" ?

Football is about glory, winning things and beating the big boys. Success is not survival at all costs.

Or the fans who get to go to all the best grounds in the country, see their club's reputation soaring, see quality players playing for the side, seeing youngsters coming through, new facilities, (hopefully) bigger stadium, more money coming into their city, watching their players play at the World Cup, picking up points against the top sides, establishing themselves as one of the top 20 clubs in the country, wealth of publicity, worldwide knowledge of the club, setting it up for a generation.

Jesus
GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 17:29 - Jun 28 with 1507 viewsBanosswan

The only way to compete with the big boys and their sugar daddies is to build something unique. This will unfortunately take time.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 19:08 - Jun 28 with 1440 viewsBrynmill_Jack

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 17:29 - Jun 28 by AngelRangelQS

Or the fans who get to go to all the best grounds in the country, see their club's reputation soaring, see quality players playing for the side, seeing youngsters coming through, new facilities, (hopefully) bigger stadium, more money coming into their city, watching their players play at the World Cup, picking up points against the top sides, establishing themselves as one of the top 20 clubs in the country, wealth of publicity, worldwide knowledge of the club, setting it up for a generation.

Jesus

Wouldn't you rather be competitive than just surviving by the skin of our teeth every season ? There's no law that says we can't, our finishes of 11th, 9th (and a trophy) and 12th on our reasonably tiny budget say we definitely can.

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 19:17 - Jun 28 with 1424 viewsAngelRangelQS

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 19:08 - Jun 28 by Brynmill_Jack

Wouldn't you rather be competitive than just surviving by the skin of our teeth every season ? There's no law that says we can't, our finishes of 11th, 9th (and a trophy) and 12th on our reasonably tiny budget say we definitely can.

Of course I would but I just think that for now we should be happy with staying up and building the foundations and infrastructure of the club.

For me, ambition isn't trying to finish as high as we can next season or even the season after, it's having a decade in the premiership, playing in a 30,000 capacity stadium (that we can afford and fill), having a good youth set up, cracking facilities and being seen as an established top flight team.

I want to see us become a premier league team off the pitch and don't believe that given where we've come from, it will all happen overnight.

I see no reason why we cannot establish ourselves as a top 10 club and challenge for the cups but that's still some time off.
GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 19:24 - Jun 28 with 1409 viewsBrynmill_Jack

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 19:17 - Jun 28 by AngelRangelQS

Of course I would but I just think that for now we should be happy with staying up and building the foundations and infrastructure of the club.

For me, ambition isn't trying to finish as high as we can next season or even the season after, it's having a decade in the premiership, playing in a 30,000 capacity stadium (that we can afford and fill), having a good youth set up, cracking facilities and being seen as an established top flight team.

I want to see us become a premier league team off the pitch and don't believe that given where we've come from, it will all happen overnight.

I see no reason why we cannot establish ourselves as a top 10 club and challenge for the cups but that's still some time off.

But we won a cup and finished ninth two seasons ago?
Maybe we're ahead of schedule?

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 19:25 - Jun 28 with 1405 viewsStarsky

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 17:12 - Jun 28 by Banosswan

If we finish 17th every year, we'd lose continuity by sacking the manager every season, following the overwhelming backlash from the 'fans'.
You see, NOBODY would be happy with 17th really. Last season is your proof and we never even hit 17th.

It's just the internet, init.

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 19:30 - Jun 28 with 1389 viewsUxbridge

I'd agree ordinarily but we have a lot to build at the club. Facilities, stadium, youth setup etc. PL money is ultimately critical for those to be set up.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 19:33 - Jun 28 with 1385 viewsAngelRangelQS

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 19:24 - Jun 28 by Brynmill_Jack

But we won a cup and finished ninth two seasons ago?
Maybe we're ahead of schedule?

Yeah and that was great but if we finish 17th next season we should still be in better shape than we were at the end of that season.

I don't doubt that some seasons we'll be excellent and finish in the top 10 and the next we may struggle. The point is that every single season we survive in the premiership should, when the dust has settled, be seen as a success. Another 70m in the bank, another season of huge publicity, attract another 3 or 4 youngsters to the club, keep the facilities as modern as possible etc.

Burnley could spend £200m on players this summer and get champions league football but what is it all built on? Where is the substance?
GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 19:35 - Jun 28 with 1383 viewsBrynmill_Jack

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 19:25 - Jun 28 by Starsky

If we finish 17th every year, we'd lose continuity by sacking the manager every season, following the overwhelming backlash from the 'fans'.
You see, NOBODY would be happy with 17th really. Last season is your proof and we never even hit 17th.

Hats off Dave that's the whole BYHOFS argument nuked to f*ck.
Also many Wildebeest drink dangerously close to the water and may get away with it for a while but if they continue to hover close to the waters edge a crocodile will get them and drag them back to the championship before they know what's hit them.
Or something like that if you get my drift.

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 19:36 - Jun 28 with 1378 viewsAngelRangelQS

But again I think there's a difference between how we felt during the season compared with how we felt when the next season's fixtures were announced.

Nobody would do cartwheels over 17th and most would hope for a few places higher at least but in general terms it would still do wonders for the club
GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 19:37 - Jun 28 with 1372 viewsOldjack

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 22:51 - Jun 27 by SwansNZ

No point arguing, I think DYSS is some elaborate bot created by fansnetwork, to drum up posts. Very cleaver if you ask me, obviously trawls threads and posts opposite views, just to keep Phil happy. Also has the ability to start threads, of course, never saying good things about the Swans. Well done Phil/fansnetwork

Can he be squashed/squished or unplugged ?

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 19:39 - Jun 28 with 1368 views3swan

GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 19:33 - Jun 28 by AngelRangelQS

Yeah and that was great but if we finish 17th next season we should still be in better shape than we were at the end of that season.

I don't doubt that some seasons we'll be excellent and finish in the top 10 and the next we may struggle. The point is that every single season we survive in the premiership should, when the dust has settled, be seen as a success. Another 70m in the bank, another season of huge publicity, attract another 3 or 4 youngsters to the club, keep the facilities as modern as possible etc.

Burnley could spend £200m on players this summer and get champions league football but what is it all built on? Where is the substance?

Agree it is all about building as a club over the next few years. To do that we need the money that Premier football will give us. As fans we want success on the pitch, but the foundations will give us that.

We are capable of mid table finishes now, the next step is massive and won't come overnight.

The next few seasons of building will be ok for me as long as we don't go too close to the wire
GOMIS F'n Signs!!! on 19:41 - Jun 28 with 1357 viewsmorningstar

The term 'finishing 17th' has become a bit misconstrued over time, and I fail to understand how people use it as some sort of yardstick. When the term is used, what the poster really means is that it is essential that we retain our Premier league status above all else.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024