Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Home nations Viaplay deal 07:10 - Apr 27 with 3119 viewsNorthernr

Interesting line from my day job. If you want to watch Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales qualifiers for the Euros and World Cup in future you're going to have to have a streaming service called Viaplay, run by a Scandi company called NENT and launching here in the second half of the year.

Press release...

Viaplay and UEFA have entered a four-year partnership in the UK for Viaplay to show at least 40 exclusive live matches featuring the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish men’s national football teams respectively. Starting in 2024, fans will be able to follow all European Qualifiers to the UEFA EURO and FIFA World Cup played by Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland exclusively on Viaplay, along with the UEFA Nations League and international friendlies, as part of a comprehensive package of over 800 exclusive international matches from across Europe.

The groundbreaking agreement consists of all matches played by UK national teams (not featuring the England National Team) in the European Qualifiers to the FIFA World Cup 2026 and UEFA EURO 2028 and in the UEFA Nations League 2024/25 and 2026/27; all matches in the UEFA Nations League Finals 2025 and 2027; as well as international friendlies. The comprehensive package also includes all matches in the above-mentioned competitions of all other European teams, including top-ranked teams such as Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal and Spain.

Both Scotland and Wales qualified for UEFA EURO 2020, with Northern Ireland making a debut appearance in the finals in 2016, and matches featuring all three teams consistently attract large and passionate audiences across the UK.
Home nations Viaplay deal on 09:32 - Apr 27 with 2890 viewsstevec

Take it there’s no sub clause that says the Championship can now play right through the international breaks and alleviate the need for 7 games crammed into every 21 fckin days thereafter?
Home nations Viaplay deal on 10:02 - Apr 27 with 2840 viewsLythamR

I wonder if Sky Sports subscribers in those countries will get a reduction in their subscriptions to reflect the lost international games?
Home nations Viaplay deal on 10:13 - Apr 27 with 2822 viewsTheChef

Home nations Viaplay deal on 10:02 - Apr 27 by LythamR

I wonder if Sky Sports subscribers in those countries will get a reduction in their subscriptions to reflect the lost international games?

Haha you funny!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Home nations Viaplay deal on 10:24 - Apr 27 with 2799 viewsNorthernr

Sky are going to have a problem soon. If you take broadband and TV from them with sports you'll do well to get that for much less than £100 a month. Warner Bros Discovery own Eurosport, and NENT's Viaplay have both used sporting rights to rapidly build a subscriber base in other European territories. Also big chat that DAZN will be taking over the BT Sport business, another rights hungry broadcaster with deep pockets. If Sky start bleeding sports rights at a time when people are struggling to make ends meet that £100+ a month will be difficult to justify.
Home nations Viaplay deal on 10:27 - Apr 27 with 2781 viewsTheChef

Home nations Viaplay deal on 10:24 - Apr 27 by Northernr

Sky are going to have a problem soon. If you take broadband and TV from them with sports you'll do well to get that for much less than £100 a month. Warner Bros Discovery own Eurosport, and NENT's Viaplay have both used sporting rights to rapidly build a subscriber base in other European territories. Also big chat that DAZN will be taking over the BT Sport business, another rights hungry broadcaster with deep pockets. If Sky start bleeding sports rights at a time when people are struggling to make ends meet that £100+ a month will be difficult to justify.

Yeah need to try and increase revenue by lifting the block on broadcasting Saturday 3pm matches....

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Home nations Viaplay deal on 10:31 - Apr 27 with 2771 viewsNW5Hoop

Although, and this is one of the things that drives me mad about Sky, if you just call up and haggle — basically tell them what you are willing to pay — you can get everything for less. I pay £80 a month for every single bloody add-on they have — sports, movies etc.
Home nations Viaplay deal on 10:31 - Apr 27 with 2771 viewscollegeranger

Binned Sky 18 months ago. Went to BT for TV/Phone/Braodband and more than halved monthly bill. I have a "special" fire stick. Also now have Discovery + for £4.95 and you get all their channels either live or on catch up. Sky have ripped the public off for years and I would guess their coverage of European sports will dwindle and become more US focused now its owned by Comcast. I am very proud I don't pay Sky a single penny!
Home nations Viaplay deal on 10:34 - Apr 27 with 2764 viewsNorthernr

Home nations Viaplay deal on 10:31 - Apr 27 by NW5Hoop

Although, and this is one of the things that drives me mad about Sky, if you just call up and haggle — basically tell them what you are willing to pay — you can get everything for less. I pay £80 a month for every single bloody add-on they have — sports, movies etc.

yeh I play that game once a year, and then it just drifts back up over time.
Login to get fewer ads

Home nations Viaplay deal on 11:06 - Apr 27 with 2706 viewsextratimeR

Yes, ditto, all very aimicable, but have just looked at my Sky bill going forward next three months and they creeping on another £20-25 a month for fixed charges.

Time for phonecall.......
Home nations Viaplay deal on 11:37 - Apr 27 with 2645 viewsNW5Hoop

Home nations Viaplay deal on 10:34 - Apr 27 by Northernr

yeh I play that game once a year, and then it just drifts back up over time.

You have to remember your contract length
Home nations Viaplay deal on 12:00 - Apr 27 with 2585 viewsextratimeR

Yes, good point, most are the same expiry date, but one or two are odd dates.

Must admit with ever growing army of streaming services, people will look at Sky bill each month.

My "everything included" package is very good, but as you say expiry dates can catch you out.
Home nations Viaplay deal on 12:07 - Apr 27 with 2564 viewshamptonhillhoop

Is it possible to split a sky sports package? I'm with Virgin and have all the sports channels, but have absolutely no interest in golf, F1 and others. I could survive with just the cricket.
I'm suspecting the answer is no.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2022 12:08]
Home nations Viaplay deal on 13:51 - Apr 27 with 2391 viewsOldPedro

Home nations Viaplay deal on 10:31 - Apr 27 by collegeranger

Binned Sky 18 months ago. Went to BT for TV/Phone/Braodband and more than halved monthly bill. I have a "special" fire stick. Also now have Discovery + for £4.95 and you get all their channels either live or on catch up. Sky have ripped the public off for years and I would guess their coverage of European sports will dwindle and become more US focused now its owned by Comcast. I am very proud I don't pay Sky a single penny!

I've just binned Sky - was about to go up to £100 a month. Rang them up and they offered to knock £25 off but I said I wanted a lower price. They then said that was the best they could do.

Made me think about what we watched and decided to cancel Sky completely. About a week before the final cancellation date, they offered to reduce it to £45 a month for 12 months but I still decided to cancel.

Now paying £20 a month for all the Sky Sports channels on Now Tv which is all we really watched on Sky anyway
[Post edited 27 Apr 2022 13:52]

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Home nations Viaplay deal on 13:00 - Apr 28 with 2052 viewsMatch82

Home nations Viaplay deal on 10:31 - Apr 27 by NW5Hoop

Word of warning on that, this was the US approach for years, total joke. They'd go as far as to ask you for not just your postcode but exact address if you were trying to search online, so they could show you the "new subscriber" (i.e. what you could negotiate to) or existing subscriber price.

Anyway maybe a year or so ago in our area they stopped negotiating existing contracts back down. You used to be able to ask for their cancellation team and get the deal, but can't do that now either. Hopefully that's not a harbinger of what's to come for the UK
Home nations Viaplay deal on 18:36 - Apr 28 with 1968 viewsFerdy

I thought that DAZN pulled out and Discovery were getting BT sport.
Home nations Viaplay deal on 12:07 - Apr 29 with 1817 viewshamptonhillhoop

With Channel 4 now announcing they have all the England friendlies and qualifiers, BT Sport having all the European domestic games as well as England cricket away tours and some Prem games, added to the Viaplay deal, Sky sports must be getting a bit worried
Home nations Viaplay deal on 12:18 - Apr 29 with 1798 viewsdaveB

Home nations Viaplay deal on 12:07 - Apr 29 by hamptonhillhoop

With Channel 4 now announcing they have all the England friendlies and qualifiers, BT Sport having all the European domestic games as well as England cricket away tours and some Prem games, added to the Viaplay deal, Sky sports must be getting a bit worried

Sky haven't had those England games for a while, most been on ITV
Home nations Viaplay deal on 12:56 - Apr 29 with 1766 viewshamptonhillhoop

Home nations Viaplay deal on 12:18 - Apr 29 by daveB

Sky haven't had those England games for a while, most been on ITV

They've had the friendlies and the Nations League, haven't they? Just the qualifiers on ITV
Home nations Viaplay deal on 13:03 - Apr 29 with 1755 viewsLazyFan

Sky still has Netball .. so fear their TV rights power!

zzzzzzzzzz

Home nations Viaplay deal on 12:00 - Jul 20 with 851 viewsNorthernr

This lot have essentially gone bust.

CEO resigned at the start of June and they withdrew their financial forecasts, lost $500m in the last quarter, withdrawing its international expansion, pulling out of UK and US, going back to just focusing on its core Nordic markets.

No idea what this means for the football and rugby rights they've purchased to show in the UK yet. Suspect they'll get hoovered up by the new TNT Sports.
Home nations Viaplay deal on 13:29 - Jul 20 with 746 viewstoboboly

Home nations Viaplay deal on 09:32 - Apr 27 by stevec

Take it there’s no sub clause that says the Championship can now play right through the international breaks and alleviate the need for 7 games crammed into every 21 fckin days thereafter?

A bloke at my work had a good idea - don't have the international breaks through the season and use those weekends to play normal games. Then, when the leagues finish in late April/early May you can have a month of international football (friendlies/qualifiers etc).

This allows the season to finish before June and also allows international teams a prolonged period playing together which can only be a good thing.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024