Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Club statement on AJ 11:43 - Sep 3 with 9020 viewsNov77

http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/030913-andy-johnson-1033056.aspx

DESPITE reports to the contrary late last night, Andy Johnson remains a QPR player and is very much part of Harry Redknapp’s first team plans this season.

As has been widely reported, Johnson’s former club Crystal Palace showed interest in the player in the final hours of Deadline Day and the club would have reluctantly agreed to let the player leave if the deal suited all parties. However, despite giving Johnson permission to open talks with the Eagles, the club failed to reach a suitable financial agreement for the player who has scored two goals in four league appearances this season.

Johnson told www.qpr.co.uk: “It was a bit of a whirlwind last night, but I’m really pleased to still be a QPR player.

“The interest from Palace was flattering, but I never once asked for a transfer and like I said a few weeks back, I owe it to QPR — who stood by me when I was injured last season — to stay and help get this club back to the Premier League.

“I am one hundred per-cent committed to QPR and will continue to give my all to help us build on what has been a promising start to the season.”

R’s boss Harry Redknapp told www.qpr.co.uk: “We reluctantly gave Andy the chance to speak to Palace, who are a club close to his heart. They were keen to offer him a two or three year deal and we felt we couldn’t hold him back from at least talking to them.

“However, when it became apparent we weren’t going to be able to get sufficient cover in ourselves in that department before the deadline, we knew we couldn’t let Andy go.”

He added: “Andy has been great for us in the opening month of the season and remains a key player for us.

“He’s committed and looking forward to the challenge of helping us challenge for a return to the Premier League.”

Read more at http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/030913-andy-johnson-1033056.aspx#0RFCUsEfdobAq

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Club statement on AJ on 13:17 - Sep 3 with 2139 viewsToast_R

Don't blame him for talking to them, they were offering a 3 year deal and chance to play in the Premier League for a team he has a good history with already.

Don't blame QPR for letting him speak to Palace if they could get an equal or improved replacement for him without having to spend additional funds.

Don't blame QPR for pulling the plug when a replacement couldn't be reached.

Can't understand all the fuss here, before the season started most fans(myself included) would have bitten Palace's hand off for a fee for injury prone AJ.

Loyalty in football means bollocks both ways so lets remember that before getting outraged over nothing.
Club statement on AJ on 13:19 - Sep 3 with 2130 viewsQPRDave

Lets get behind the fella and show him the support he needs, pretty sure he will deliver, even when he doesn't score his workrate is superb
Club statement on AJ on 13:22 - Sep 3 with 2118 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Club statement on AJ on 12:47 - Sep 3 by YorkRanger

I think that is a sensible, well intentioned statement by the Club to keep everyone onside. As ever some will try and find flaws in it, but I think we should move on from yesterday very satisfied indeed.

Absolutely this.
It seems whatever the club try and do or say there are people who still try and forensically pull it apart.
Club statement on AJ on 13:25 - Sep 3 with 2112 viewswestberksr

given our previous deadline day shenanigans, this deal not going through 'cos it didn't suit us should barely register; the statement might be slightly contradictory but so fukkin what.

last knockings 2 years ago we signed Anton Ferdinand because 'Arry couldn't get a CB in at Spuds and blocked our move for Bassong, so let's be thankful for how this one turned out!

anyone expecting the club to come out with "xxx was due to sign and then AJ was off but ZZZ club shafted us for an extra £xx mill; so fukk 'em and Palarce can go swing" is slightly deluded.

let us leave some of the mystery of professional football where it belongs; in 'Arrys 4x4!
Club statement on AJ on 13:25 - Sep 3 with 2108 viewsHunterhoop

Glad the club made the statement; it's the right thing to do.

And I understand it was both a lack of cover and in conjunction and under valuation of him that led us to pull the plug.

However, the article still has a whacking great contradiction that leads me to believe it's made up:

AJ: "I never once asked for a transfer"
HR: "We reluctantly gave Andy the chance to speak to Palace"

So AJ didn't want to leave and we didn't want him to talk to Palace....but yet he did...

One of them is obviously lying.

Either we gladly let him speak to Palace because we thought we had someone coming in, in which case 'Arry is lying.

OR

AJ asked to speak to Palace when they became interested, in which case he can hardly say he "didn't ask for a transfer" when he effectively asked to speak with another team!

At some point AJ asked to speak to them or we told him we wanted him to speak to them, otherwise he wouldn't have spoken to them.

If AJ asked to speak to them, I'm a bit disappointed as it totally contradicts the "I owe it to QPR line".

IF 'Arry gladly let him go, that was a stupid decision. Even with a grade A forward coming in it would have been foolish given numbers available up top.
Club statement on AJ on 13:34 - Sep 3 with 2080 viewsPinnerPaul

Club statement on AJ on 12:00 - Sep 3 by cjc

How can it be both. Its one or the other.

Does it matter?
Club statement on AJ on 13:39 - Sep 3 with 2065 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Club statement on AJ on 13:25 - Sep 3 by Hunterhoop

Glad the club made the statement; it's the right thing to do.

And I understand it was both a lack of cover and in conjunction and under valuation of him that led us to pull the plug.

However, the article still has a whacking great contradiction that leads me to believe it's made up:

AJ: "I never once asked for a transfer"
HR: "We reluctantly gave Andy the chance to speak to Palace"

So AJ didn't want to leave and we didn't want him to talk to Palace....but yet he did...

One of them is obviously lying.

Either we gladly let him speak to Palace because we thought we had someone coming in, in which case 'Arry is lying.

OR

AJ asked to speak to Palace when they became interested, in which case he can hardly say he "didn't ask for a transfer" when he effectively asked to speak with another team!

At some point AJ asked to speak to them or we told him we wanted him to speak to them, otherwise he wouldn't have spoken to them.

If AJ asked to speak to them, I'm a bit disappointed as it totally contradicts the "I owe it to QPR line".

IF 'Arry gladly let him go, that was a stupid decision. Even with a grade A forward coming in it would have been foolish given numbers available up top.

They made an offer for him, QPR 'reluctantly' told Johnson about it who then spoke to them. He therefore didn't ask for a transfer. It's possible even if that wasn't how it actually happened so I don't agree its one or the other.
Club statement on AJ on 13:49 - Sep 3 with 2036 viewsbosh67

AJ didn't ask for a transfer. End of. Looks different class for us. Long may his fitness continue. AJ is a Ranger!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Login to get fewer ads

Club statement on AJ on 14:04 - Sep 3 with 2007 viewsCroydonCaptJack

My son just called me from the open day and he said someone asked AJ what happened.
He said he just got a call to go for a medical at Palace.
Club statement on AJ on 15:53 - Sep 3 with 1916 viewsHunterhoop

Club statement on AJ on 14:04 - Sep 3 by CroydonCaptJack

My son just called me from the open day and he said someone asked AJ what happened.
He said he just got a call to go for a medical at Palace.

So of these indicate he had nothing to do with it and the club told him to go to Palace.

Hardly "reluctantly" let him speak to them because they have a special place in his heart and we had to give him the opportunity to at least talk to them, as 'Arry has said.

It would appear 'Arry isn't exactly being honest on this front...

He's done a good job this transfer window but the AJ affair and, in particular with this fairly transparent misrepresentation of the truth, he does himself no favours when it comes to how trustworthy he is...
Club statement on AJ on 16:00 - Sep 3 with 1907 viewscheeseydane

The reasons for having a dig at HR, seem to be getting thinner by the day, but it doesnt seem to stop some having a go, no matter how petty it makes them look.

Technology advances, unfortunately humans do not.

Club statement on AJ on 16:04 - Sep 3 with 1891 viewsJonDoeman

Club statement on AJ on 15:53 - Sep 3 by Hunterhoop

So of these indicate he had nothing to do with it and the club told him to go to Palace.

Hardly "reluctantly" let him speak to them because they have a special place in his heart and we had to give him the opportunity to at least talk to them, as 'Arry has said.

It would appear 'Arry isn't exactly being honest on this front...

He's done a good job this transfer window but the AJ affair and, in particular with this fairly transparent misrepresentation of the truth, he does himself no favours when it comes to how trustworthy he is...

Stop press , Breaking News : :: Harry is a little bit dodgy.....!!!!!!

Clutching at straws with this hunter.........

It Is What It Is !!

Club statement on AJ on 16:36 - Sep 3 with 1866 viewsHunterhoop

Not clutching at straws or 'thin' reasoning. Absolutely bang down the middle fair!

I praised him for who he brought on. Hear it's apparent he's not telling the truth and was happy for him to talk to Palace. I'm pulling him for the dishonesty and because I think it's bad judgement.

As I've said before, it's called being "balanced". Look it up.

And Cheeseywhatsit, let's move away from this idea that certain people are out to get 'Arry. They're not. We ALL want him to succeed because it will mean QPR succeed but that doesn't stop me, or anyone, being allowed to call out when he is being dishonest or, in our eyes, shows poor judgement.

It's a sodding message board, man!
Club statement on AJ on 16:59 - Sep 3 with 1836 viewscjc

Club statement on AJ on 13:34 - Sep 3 by PinnerPaul

Does it matter?

First of all I am happy with the club and all that is going on. No complaints but if they are going to communicate, I would rather it be accurate and understandable than just communicating for the sake of it.

I don't think that is unreasonable.

Does it matter 'yes' but not today!
[Post edited 3 Sep 2013 17:02]

Where there is hoop there's the hoops.

Club statement on AJ on 17:06 - Sep 3 with 1824 viewscheeseydane

Club statement on AJ on 16:36 - Sep 3 by Hunterhoop

Not clutching at straws or 'thin' reasoning. Absolutely bang down the middle fair!

I praised him for who he brought on. Hear it's apparent he's not telling the truth and was happy for him to talk to Palace. I'm pulling him for the dishonesty and because I think it's bad judgement.

And Cheeseywhatsit, let's move away from this idea that certain people are out to get 'Arry. They're not. We ALL want him to succeed because it will mean QPR succeed but that doesn't stop me, or anyone, being allowed to call out when he is being dishonest or, in our eyes, shows poor judgement.

I could easily play games with your username as well, but i don't think it would be allowed.

The number of threads digging out HR has descended from three times daily, to maybe once weekly over the last 2 months.

Maybe, just maybe its because HR/the board have cleared the decks of 16-18 players, cleared the bad karma from the squad, brought in pretty much what was necessary, invested money in the right people, the team are top of the league (or as good as), communication from the club is better, .... i could go on.

The reasons for digging, as i said, are becoming fewer.

WHO cares how a statement is worded!! Does it really matter? Is it worth disecting? If as you say, the important thing is QPR succeeding, then it shouldn't. Tbh i dont give a monkeys, as the result is what is best for our club, for a change.

Im starting to recognise my club again, for the first time in ages. That im thankful for.

Just my opinion of course, but it is a sodding message board man.

Club statement on AJ on 17:17 - Sep 3 with 1726 viewsPhilmyRs

I’d be inclined to let this one rest, I think it’s a non starter Tbh.

Harry get’s a good offer from Palace, thinks we’ve got one or two coming in to replace AJ, looks at AJ’s age and injury record and tells AJ to have a chat with Palace. As soon as other deals break down he refuses, and rightly, to let AJ go.

Whether he said AJ could talk to Palace or AJ asked to talk to Palace, isn’t a huge issue for me. I can understand the reasoning behind both scenarios. Regarding the line from the press, I have some sympathy, they're not going to tell the truth, that Harry felt we’d get a decent bit of money for AJ plus a better player in return so told him he could speak to them. I don't think there will be any issue between Manager and player. It's part of Football.
Club statement on AJ on 17:18 - Sep 3 with 1720 viewsdanehoop

How dare you express a reasonable and balanced post!

Great start to the season results wise. Solid defence. Functional midfield. Some of the best strikers going at Championship level. Good levels or attitude, fitness and comittment. Mutually supportive and aligned dressing room. High levels of confidence and morale. Good transfer window. Removal of vast majority of unwanted/unaffordable deadwood from the squad.

Yeah, that Harry, he is awful. Burn him. Outwith the torches and pitchforks.

Never knowingly understood

Club statement on AJ on 17:20 - Sep 3 with 1716 viewsA40Bosh

I dont think 'arry is any more dishonest than anyone else in the club or in football, it's just that he is too inarticulate to be able to cover up and bullsh't his way out of awkward questions more effectively.

Same as my middle girl - gets caught the most, probably does the least wrong - just cant lie to save her teeth!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Club statement on AJ on 17:20 - Sep 3 with 1711 viewsHunterhoop

Honestly, couldn't remember your username and hadn't clicked the quote reply button so couldn't see it. Thought that was a harmles guess!

You still don't get it though, I'm not digging.

All I've said all along is where 'Arry does some good stuff, I'll praise. Where he does some poor stuff, I'll criticise it. I haven't got an agenda against the man, nor have I one in favour of him regardless, as others appear to do. We can be supporters of QPR and criticse elements of QPR, you know.

He signed some really good players - good

The discrepancy between his and AJ's words plus the comments below from reliable sources, such as Bosh, indicates he was willing to let AJ go - bad.

Christ alive! Shoot me down for giving some balanced reasoned analysis.

As soon as anyone says anything that paints 'Arry as less than the greatest manager we've ever had, you get accussed by a small minority of being 'anti-Arry'.

I've been on this message board for 15 years. I've probably criticised every manager we've had in that time but it didn't mean I was 'anti-them'.

Can we get back to having some reasoned debate without being painted as anti-the manager or chairman or player? If you aren't interested in the reasoned debate don't get involved.
Club statement on AJ on 17:21 - Sep 3 with 1709 viewsNorthernr

Thoughts...

- It was a bit of a daft thing for Johnson to say in the summer. Or rather it was a bit daft of him to be so unequivocal about it. he could have achieved the same kudos without painting himself into a corner by saying "after the injury last year I do feel I owe QPR a good season and I'd love to stay and do that, it's certainly my first choice, but everybody knows how football works, the club will no doubt be looking to reduce its wage bill this year, I'm not getting any younger so if an offer comes in and they accept it who knows what might happen."

- It's a bit daft of anybody to believe anything in football says ever.

- From a purely selfish, short term point of view, I'm bloody delighted he stayed. We would have had to get a loan in surely otherwise Bobby Zamora would have had to play a lot more, and I'm not paying all this money to watch Bobby fcking Zamora every week.

- Longer term, QPR got a cash offer for a 32 year old injury prone striker who must be on a big weekly whack - they should probably have snapped Palace's arm off.
Club statement on AJ on 17:28 - Sep 3 with 1695 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Club statement on AJ on 17:21 - Sep 3 by Northernr

Thoughts...

- It was a bit of a daft thing for Johnson to say in the summer. Or rather it was a bit daft of him to be so unequivocal about it. he could have achieved the same kudos without painting himself into a corner by saying "after the injury last year I do feel I owe QPR a good season and I'd love to stay and do that, it's certainly my first choice, but everybody knows how football works, the club will no doubt be looking to reduce its wage bill this year, I'm not getting any younger so if an offer comes in and they accept it who knows what might happen."

- It's a bit daft of anybody to believe anything in football says ever.

- From a purely selfish, short term point of view, I'm bloody delighted he stayed. We would have had to get a loan in surely otherwise Bobby Zamora would have had to play a lot more, and I'm not paying all this money to watch Bobby fcking Zamora every week.

- Longer term, QPR got a cash offer for a 32 year old injury prone striker who must be on a big weekly whack - they should probably have snapped Palace's arm off.

Hard to disagree with that but at least we hung on to him when his replacement failed to materialise and his goals could well be worth a lot more than whatever the offer from Palace was.

On the other hand if he gets injured in a fortnight everyone will say we should have got rid!!
Club statement on AJ on 17:31 - Sep 3 with 1684 viewsNorthernr

Club statement on AJ on 17:28 - Sep 3 by CroydonCaptJack

Hard to disagree with that but at least we hung on to him when his replacement failed to materialise and his goals could well be worth a lot more than whatever the offer from Palace was.

On the other hand if he gets injured in a fortnight everyone will say we should have got rid!!

That's exactly right. It was all about the replacement. Whether it was a good or dreadful idea hung entirely on that.
Club statement on AJ on 17:37 - Sep 3 with 1671 viewscheeseydane

Club statement on AJ on 17:20 - Sep 3 by Hunterhoop

Honestly, couldn't remember your username and hadn't clicked the quote reply button so couldn't see it. Thought that was a harmles guess!

You still don't get it though, I'm not digging.

All I've said all along is where 'Arry does some good stuff, I'll praise. Where he does some poor stuff, I'll criticise it. I haven't got an agenda against the man, nor have I one in favour of him regardless, as others appear to do. We can be supporters of QPR and criticse elements of QPR, you know.

He signed some really good players - good

The discrepancy between his and AJ's words plus the comments below from reliable sources, such as Bosh, indicates he was willing to let AJ go - bad.

Christ alive! Shoot me down for giving some balanced reasoned analysis.

As soon as anyone says anything that paints 'Arry as less than the greatest manager we've ever had, you get accussed by a small minority of being 'anti-Arry'.

I've been on this message board for 15 years. I've probably criticised every manager we've had in that time but it didn't mean I was 'anti-them'.

Can we get back to having some reasoned debate without being painted as anti-the manager or chairman or player? If you aren't interested in the reasoned debate don't get involved.

Thats the point. What is this poor stuff you speak of? A misconstrued club statement?

Im not pro HR, far from it, but im judging my opinion on him purely on results on the field and off.

At the end of the day, its the club that matters.

And i think i have debated reasonably stating facts rather than conjunture, so less of the dramatism, and condescending words.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2013 17:37]

Club statement on AJ on 17:41 - Sep 3 with 1662 viewsQPRDave

Jeez what a palava ......this sort of thing happens all the time in football. It's just a buying chain.We would not have known about it if sky didn't stick a camera on every corner.
Why we getting worked up over the excuse?
All clubs know fans are a bit touchy over players leaving (especially ours) and so are imo trying to save AJ from unwarranted stick, which could also derail our team spirit in turn maybe hampering a promotion push.
So AJ was going we couldn't get another deal done we pulled the plug, ....maybe Harry doesn't want to tell the world who our target was....maybe we might go back for this target later......No trust issues...its football business....Mulder & Scully can stand down
Club statement on AJ on 18:30 - Sep 3 with 1613 viewsHunterhoop

Club statement on AJ on 17:37 - Sep 3 by cheeseydane

Thats the point. What is this poor stuff you speak of? A misconstrued club statement?

Im not pro HR, far from it, but im judging my opinion on him purely on results on the field and off.

At the end of the day, its the club that matters.

And i think i have debated reasonably stating facts rather than conjunture, so less of the dramatism, and condescending words.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2013 17:37]

Look, go back and have a look at your first post after above after mine (1600). If anyone was condescending...

You began by having an unnecessary pop. I felt I was putting across a reasonable view, Whether you agreed with it or not, no need to have a pop. All I've done is reiterate why I think it was a reasonable view. If you don't agree, fine.

I haven't meant to be "condescending" to you at all. I've just wanted to make it clear I think you're being a bit unfair and unnecessarily harsh, when all I've done is voice an opinon, which I think I explained perfectly reasonably. You were the one who initially was trying to turn this into a "anti-'Arry thing which it's not.

The original point was the statement was a nice idea but it had a contradiction between AJ and 'Arry, which meant they both couldn't be right/honest in my opinion. I thought I explained that fairly clearly.

If it's not important to you, you can just ignore it rather than come in and make out I'm being anti-'Arry or having a dig or whatever. It was that response I'm calling out as unnecessary and unfair.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024