Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Terry Venables RIP 12:17 - Nov 26 with 27160 viewsaston_hoop

Terry Venables has passed away at the age of 80. Very sad news

http://www.skysports.com/share/13016445

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Terry Venables RIP on 13:09 - Nov 28 with 2774 viewsbosh67

Terry Venables RIP on 11:28 - Nov 28 by hubble

Sorry if this is a Spackman:

"Terry Venables: QPR boss Marti Cifuentes wants to replicate Venables' attacking game"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67546064

Tall order when you don't have a top striker to call on but I love Marti's sentiments here.

We have the chance to rebuild here, even if it takes a few seasons and possibly in L1 but I feel Marti is the man, unless the players do their usual mutiny and he loses the will to live. If he can inherit the spirit of Terry we'll be okay given a few seasons.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Terry Venables RIP on 13:12 - Nov 28 with 2769 viewsNorthernr

Terry Venables RIP on 12:48 - Nov 26 by Northernr

God this really is a period of time that just keeps on giving isn't it? What a horrible piece of news to wake up for.

Best stories and memories you guys have got post them here and I'll put a piece together in lieu of the Stoke preview tomorrow.

As promised...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/61335/remembering-
Terry Venables RIP on 23:05 - Nov 28 with 2487 viewsqpr_1968

Terry Venables RIP on 16:34 - Nov 26 by qpr_1968

only a short video, but venables at his best from 1 minute...

just in case anyone missed it.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Terry Venables RIP on 23:42 - Nov 28 with 2436 viewsManinBlack

Terry Venables RIP on 14:23 - Nov 26 by francisbowles

That 82-83 season we went to Sheffield Wednesday, who were in the promotion hunt, annoyed the home fans by continually catching the Owls offside and won the match 1-0. The next day one of the Sunday tabloids stated we trapped them 27 times! How we could do with such a well drilled defence today.
Then on the run in we kept winning and it seemed as though Tony Sealey and John Gregory scored in every game, including the 2-0 at the Fulham Broadway ground.
I can vaguely remember the trophy presentation at home, (against Fulham, I think).
We finished ten points clear of second place Wolves.

Flanagan got the winner in that Wednesday game. We adopted the same tactics when Allen scored the winner at Leeds earlier that season. I am pretty sure we got them caught in the trap nearly 30 times. Leeds fans were going mental all around me.

Under Jim Gregory we did have some really good managers like Stock, Jago, Sexton, Docherty and Venables in terms of attacking football. Once Gregory went we have not been so fortunate with managers. Ray Wilkins and Trevor Francis were great players for us but not so good at managing. No doubt had Venables taken over from Gregory we may not have got in the current mess that has dogged us since the late 90's.
Terry Venables RIP on 00:01 - Nov 29 with 2411 viewsqprxtc

Nineteen seventy eight stroke Nineteen seventy nine was my first season down the rangers. Six wins all season and I was hooked. Sets up life nicely.

Next season, 79/80 , I remember very fondly, just for being young and where that takes you. Adversity is just temporary. And I’ll never die.

Then , Jim Gregory goes. Up . Down. Around.

Terry comes back.

I only know him because my dad, brother and sister bang in about him. I’ll take that anyway.. my god.

We didn’t have a massive support, even with Jim Gregory’s manipulation it was at best 12, 0000 ish. Terry came to a club in flux , not a tradiotnally big club but with potential with Jim’s guile.

Getting most of the best players he has at Palace to come to the more rarified West Londinium atmosphere worked, Croydon v Kensington? Horrible, suburban Crystal Palace , yep.

That’s the team that Tel (and Allan Harris) built. Inside of three years, we become European beaters. There’s no doubt that , bar Barcafuc£inglona, Rangers would have been a major player in 84/85.

Instead, Mullery, relegation battle, Belgrade.

Terry Venables . An outstanding football genius. He spent ten years of his footballing life at Queens Park Rangers

As we are not currently in the top division, it doesn’t count. But.

It counts. Because Terry loved Queens Park Rangers. No matter what division we are in, he got us.

Thank you Terry. Thank you.
Terry Venables RIP on 00:07 - Nov 29 with 2396 viewsrobith

One of the few times an applause instead of a silence felt geniunely appropriate and moving
Terry Venables RIP on 05:49 - Nov 29 with 2294 viewsAussieRs

As an Aussie R, it would be remiss not to add just a small bit on TV's stint as our national manager. He did quite well but memory tainted by failure to qualify for 98 World Cup. It was 1997, 1-1 away draw with Iran in front of about 100k, with young Harry Kewell scoring. Then from 2-0 up, and only with 15 mins to go in return leg in Melbourne, we gave away 2 cheap goals. El Tel made no subs in an effort to shut the game down that night. Always wondered why. I just remember the crestfallen silence. Bad night.

TV then steered Australia to final of Confed Cup later.

RIP

See this link for more:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/nov/27/terry-venables-death-tribu
Terry Venables RIP on 20:37 - Nov 29 with 2121 viewsNov77

Just seen the club has put up this old interview with TV.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/2023/november/29/in-his-own-words--terry-venables--qp

Can’t remember seeing it before, but goes into detail about him leaving for Barca’, obviously this is TV’s account of what happened and we won’t hear jim Gregory’s side, but if it’s true, what a tragedy that we lost him over a lousy £10k.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Login to get fewer ads

Terry Venables RIP on 17:31 - Dec 4 with 1922 viewsdaveB

Really good interview with John Gregory on offish today

Terry Venables RIP on 20:39 - Dec 4 with 1838 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Terry Venables RIP on 17:31 - Dec 4 by daveB

Really enjoyed that. As you'd imagine, there was lots to learn there as well.

Thanks Dave.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Terry Venables RIP on 09:03 - Dec 5 with 1743 viewsNorthernr

Terry Venables RIP on 17:31 - Dec 4 by daveB

This is fantastic. Watching it while working this morning and it's really worth everybody's time.
Terry Venables RIP on 09:04 - Dec 5 with 1737 viewsdaveB

Terry Venables RIP on 09:03 - Dec 5 by Northernr

This is fantastic. Watching it while working this morning and it's really worth everybody's time.

The Allan Harris 1 to 6 story was very good

Finneys podcast last week with Stainrod and Micklewhite also well worth a listen
Terry Venables RIP on 09:56 - Dec 5 with 1716 viewsflynnbo

What a lovely recollection. JG’s a very good interviewee and storyteller. We were extremely fortunate to have had such a progressive coach in TV and who could honestly have stood in his way when Barca came knocking. Once again, RIP Terry.
Terry Venables RIP on 10:58 - Dec 5 with 1640 viewsGalileo

Lovely interview, well done JG for giving us some insight into your own and Terry's time here at Rangers. Sounded like a lot of fun.
Terry Venables RIP on 11:48 - Dec 22 with 1222 viewsdaveB

Video looking back at Venables time at QPR as a player, about a week later than I planned due to having the flu

A video looking at his managerial reign will be online in the new year

Terry Venables RIP on 15:42 - Jan 18 with 733 viewsdaveB

Terry Venables RIP on 11:48 - Dec 22 by daveB

Video looking back at Venables time at QPR as a player, about a week later than I planned due to having the flu

A video looking at his managerial reign will be online in the new year

Taken a while but part 2 looking at Venables time as a manager is now online.
Going through the footage of the Cup Final I still thought we were going to equalise despite having seen that game dozens of times

Terry Venables RIP on 16:00 - Jan 18 with 656 viewsGaryBannister86

Terry Venables RIP on 15:42 - Jan 18 by daveB

Taken a while but part 2 looking at Venables time as a manager is now online.
Going through the footage of the Cup Final I still thought we were going to equalise despite having seen that game dozens of times

Amazing work, Dave - looking forward to watching all this. Thanks.

Just went through the replay again, I knew we were unlucky but forgot that Micklewhite's goal should have stood (Fenwick offside but not interfering at all - or were the rules different in those days) AND that the linesman gave us a pen for Hazell being chopped in the box, referee ignored it.

Argh. Still hurts.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024