Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Potential Capacity 10:52 - Aug 16 with 16432 viewsbudegan

Rob Phillips phone in on Saturday, a very enthusiastic Swans fan getting into a slightly heated one with Leighton about our potential. Said fan reckoned that if we had the capacity we could command an average gate of 35k, Leighton reckoned 30k.

However with only a few days to go there are still tickets available for our first home game of the season, so am I completely missing something or are they both bonkers?
Potential Capacity on 15:05 - Aug 17 with 2029 viewstomdickharry

New Hafod bye pass to be opened in the short term.(Improved Road Communication).
This new road will give our owners an ideal opportunity to form a partnership with the Council in order to introduce/improve transport links on match days.If it then can be established that any new transport links are successful,the oportunity will have presented itself to carry out the first stage of stadium expansion.
Potential Capacity on 09:32 - Aug 18 with 1931 viewsPrivate_Partz

Potential Capacity on 10:48 - Aug 17 by jasper_T

Match days are great. But the club isn't losing out on a generation of fans by not having thousands of empty seats waiting for them to buy tickets "like they're going to the cinema". Tickets aren't that hard to come by if you're not picky (and come to see Swansea, not the team Swansea are playing), and football at the top level is more accessible than ever before to the armchair fan. Kids down the park are already wearing Swansea shirts while they run rings around their fat dads in stretched and faded United tops.

The hand-wringing over only having 20k stadium capacity is over the top. Expansion is far from necessary and a lot of factors that are out of the club's hands make it a less than ideal proposition (transport links, ownership issues etc.).

The most important factor to the continued growth of the club is investment in the playing staff. If the new owners were Saudi billionaires then expand by all means, but with limited funds its obvious to me where the priorities should be. Drop into the Championship and we won't fill the stadium we have.

Tickets are hard to come by and we sell out every home match. It is not being picky wanting to sit with your family. Apathy has set in and most don't even try to get walk up tickets. Don't confuse that with lack of demand. Expansion is a long term strategy just like the academy. I agree things have to be right on the pitch and when they are 16m is not that massive an outlay for an infastructure that can last decades. Last time I looked Swansea was the 11th biggest city in the UK. Small town thinking will hold us back. We need satellite supporters groups being set around Wales and beyond and bus loads coming into Swansea thereby developing local businesses. Punters watching from afar on dodgy internet streams will not achieve that.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Potential Capacity on 10:24 - Aug 18 with 1896 viewsowainglyndwr

Middlesbrough has a population of over 70, 000 less than Swansea.
We should no be thinking of the future and build the expansion to 27 to 30, 000.
Potential Capacity on 10:50 - Aug 18 with 1868 viewsdailew

Potential Capacity on 12:40 - Aug 16 by yescomeon

Was going to make a similar point to jackjackjackjack above. I think the way younger people consume football is not what it was (not that I really know what it was). I've got loads of mates that are super into football but never go to games. I think younger people are happy enough to watch on TV or the internet and never go to the games. Obviously it's a generalisation that will not apply to everyone and for kids it will probably be different. Personally as a 'younger' person it's all about going to games for me, but I think I'm not necessarily a football fan, just a Swansea fan (if people get what I mean - for example I couldn't care less about the champions league or any other premier league game beyond how it imacts the Swans). But I'm sure for plenty of people my age, the internet/premier league generation it's different. Perhaps I would have fallen into that category if I hadn't have started going to games on a bit of a lark back in the league 1 championship days.

That said, I think the stadium should be expanded, gates are such a small part of the revenue for premier league clubs, even if there are extra seat the club can do incentives again for kids and students at the uni, the later being how I got into the Swans.

Disagree. People will always be desperate to see stars live.

Going to music festivals I'm always amazed how someput up with shitty views and conditions just to see live acts.

We'd sell out 30,000 easily with the right pricing.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Potential Capacity on 11:03 - Aug 18 with 1854 viewsmonmouth

Potential Capacity on 10:24 - Aug 18 by owainglyndwr

Middlesbrough has a population of over 70, 000 less than Swansea.
We should no be thinking of the future and build the expansion to 27 to 30, 000.

UK Built up areas are probably more representative of potential catchment? We are 27th in that, behind Newport. Bournemouth is the only PL team I can see with a bigger catchment (about 1.5 times our size) and a smaller ground though. And they will be contaminated by Southampton's history. We are at around 300,000 and absolutely no competition. Surely one in ten of those - not counting expats - can be enticed to watch the Swans given our current profile? Plus another 450,000 'next door' to the east that have no real option to take a current interest in football, a few farmers to the west, and the whole of Builth.

Hit the schools, target the youngsters, get the families in together, dig up a few more corpses and expand the West Stand. Job done.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Potential Capacity on 11:35 - Aug 18 with 1849 viewsSlugster664

Potential Capacity on 09:05 - Aug 17 by raynor94

Of course the road system needs to be changed, when the Morfa was built nobody envisaged it having to cope with crowds of 30.000, the area just can't handle it, open up Landore halt, it would go a long way to alleviating the problems

Landore 'halt' ?

STID

Potential Capacity on 11:44 - Aug 18 with 1834 viewsairedale

Potential Capacity on 11:35 - Aug 18 by Slugster664

Landore 'halt' ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_station#Halt
Potential Capacity on 12:09 - Aug 18 with 1800 viewsjohnlangy

Potential Capacity on 16:15 - Aug 16 by jasper_T

I think at 30k we'd end up with the stadium looking half empty more often than not (so 5-10k actually empty seats).

That makes no sense Jasper. While we don't know what crowds we'll get until the extension happens we know we'll get more than we're getting now.

If I was to be pessimistic about it i'd imagine the minimum extra would be 3,000 for the less attractive games, maybe 3 or 4 of those a season. That would mean 24,000 which is hardly half empty. But we also know that we'd sell out for perhaps six games and have crowds around 26,000 for the middling games.

So an average of about 26/27,000. And that's hardly putting a positive spin on it.
Login to get fewer ads

Potential Capacity on 13:32 - Aug 18 with 1736 viewsMattG

Just picking up on some comments earlier in the thread about groups of friends or family not being able to get seats together.

What about leaving the allocation of seats up to the ticket office rather than giving people the choice via the website? That way, we could avoid having a shitload of empty single seats which might encourage friends / family groups to attend as they would be more likely to sit together.

I get that offering a choice of seat is preferable but maybe not at the expense of a full house? Just a thought.
Potential Capacity on 13:37 - Aug 18 with 1733 viewstylagarwjack

It's obvious we do need to expand, but whether or not it will be in the new owners interests to do so is another matter, as the payback period will be several years, probably longer than their tenure will be in reality.

HJ has often said in the past that it would be for the long term benefit of the club (and not losing a generation of fans) that expansion would take place, rather than for the additional matchday income it would bring.

In terms of how we do it if we did, wouldn't it be sensible to increase to 26,000 first of all, if that sells out regularly then increase further, if it doesn't then don't.

If the club really cares about growing the fan base then ticket prices could come down, they could also link games i.e. if you want a Man U ticket you have to buy for Hull as well.

A further thing could be three tier pricing, so the top teams (6-7) are £45 for adults, middle 6 or 7 are £35 for adults and the bottom 6 are £25 for adults. I think they should be doing that now personally but know they won't. The inability for groups of friends or families to sit together is also a factor that can't be ignored.

However, expansion can't happen until the transport problem gets sorted out and if they can't even get the simplest things right i.e. an optimal bus service, then you have to wonder whether they ever will, and whether we'd be allowed to build.

One other thing to say though is that Cardiff City Stadium expansion was not held up by the concerns over the transport system and when Wales have a crowd of 30k plus there getting away is horrendous after the game, and I would argue the road system there isn't much better than ours (no roundabouts on the A4232 is one thing which will allow traffic to move more quickly than the roundabout at Morriston does on the A4067 however).
[Post edited 18 Aug 2016 13:39]
Potential Capacity on 15:39 - Aug 18 with 1674 viewsairedale

Potential Capacity on 15:05 - Aug 17 by tomdickharry

New Hafod bye pass to be opened in the short term.(Improved Road Communication).
This new road will give our owners an ideal opportunity to form a partnership with the Council in order to introduce/improve transport links on match days.If it then can be established that any new transport links are successful,the oportunity will have presented itself to carry out the first stage of stadium expansion.

Doesn't seem to be much happening on that Hafod road at the mo though.
Potential Capacity on 17:59 - Aug 18 with 1633 viewsPrivate_Partz

Potential Capacity on 15:39 - Aug 18 by airedale

Doesn't seem to be much happening on that Hafod road at the mo though.

Indeed. The time it is taking is ridiculous. Edwina Heart gave us 1.5 which covers the kerbstones whilst WAG are preparing to spunk billions on Cardiff projects. This road along with Landore Halt reopening would go a long way to providing a shortish term solution to the extra supporter traffic. Reopening the Park an Rides would help as well. building walkways over the surrounding roads thereby preventing closure and pelican crossings would also help enormously. More buses..... Well there is a novel idea.......
Transport is an issue but it should not be used an argument to prevent expansion.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Potential Capacity on 20:47 - Aug 18 with 1577 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Potential Capacity on 17:59 - Aug 18 by Private_Partz

Indeed. The time it is taking is ridiculous. Edwina Heart gave us 1.5 which covers the kerbstones whilst WAG are preparing to spunk billions on Cardiff projects. This road along with Landore Halt reopening would go a long way to providing a shortish term solution to the extra supporter traffic. Reopening the Park an Rides would help as well. building walkways over the surrounding roads thereby preventing closure and pelican crossings would also help enormously. More buses..... Well there is a novel idea.......
Transport is an issue but it should not be used an argument to prevent expansion.

All the bullsh*t is only to placate us serfs. Cardiff gets more and more prosperous while Swansea decays to a slow death.

I don't think any of the recent schemes (New St Davids area, arena on the beach (pmsl)) will ever get off he grounnd. The lasrt boulevard scheme was scaled down to a widened pavement in the end and they can't even deliver THAT!

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Potential Capacity on 20:53 - Aug 18 with 1569 viewsDr_Winston

Potential Capacity on 20:47 - Aug 18 by Brynmill_Jack

All the bullsh*t is only to placate us serfs. Cardiff gets more and more prosperous while Swansea decays to a slow death.

I don't think any of the recent schemes (New St Davids area, arena on the beach (pmsl)) will ever get off he grounnd. The lasrt boulevard scheme was scaled down to a widened pavement in the end and they can't even deliver THAT!

That's Swansea Council's fault.

They must give thanks every day for the existence of the WAG for people to blame instead of pointing the finger at them.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Potential Capacity on 21:02 - Aug 18 with 1546 viewsraynor94

Potential Capacity on 20:53 - Aug 18 by Dr_Winston

That's Swansea Council's fault.

They must give thanks every day for the existence of the WAG for people to blame instead of pointing the finger at them.

Exactly, the Council are getting away with blue murder, their past record on the development of the City is nothing short of scandalous

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Potential Capacity on 22:08 - Aug 18 with 1495 viewsharryhpalmer

Potential Capacity on 09:32 - Aug 18 by Private_Partz

Tickets are hard to come by and we sell out every home match. It is not being picky wanting to sit with your family. Apathy has set in and most don't even try to get walk up tickets. Don't confuse that with lack of demand. Expansion is a long term strategy just like the academy. I agree things have to be right on the pitch and when they are 16m is not that massive an outlay for an infastructure that can last decades. Last time I looked Swansea was the 11th biggest city in the UK. Small town thinking will hold us back. We need satellite supporters groups being set around Wales and beyond and bus loads coming into Swansea thereby developing local businesses. Punters watching from afar on dodgy internet streams will not achieve that.

11th? we are way off that!

25th largest.

Smaller than Bradford, Leicester, Coventry, Hull, Stoke, Northampton, Swindon, Bournemouth. Even Norwich and Bolton are bigger as per the last census.

Poll: Who do you want as next Manager?

Potential Capacity on 00:07 - Aug 19 with 1463 viewsLoyal

There are always tickets available before every home game ffs !
And they ALWAYS sell.
Choose another negative point at least .....

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Potential Capacity on 00:22 - Aug 19 with 1454 viewsowainglyndwr

Potential Capacity on 22:08 - Aug 18 by harryhpalmer

11th? we are way off that!

25th largest.

Smaller than Bradford, Leicester, Coventry, Hull, Stoke, Northampton, Swindon, Bournemouth. Even Norwich and Bolton are bigger as per the last census.

Latest population of Swansea in 242,000 not sure if you are looking at the the latest version. But Swansea has a equal population surrounding it with further populated towns
down West
Potential Capacity on 07:59 - Aug 19 with 1403 viewsPrivate_Partz

Potential Capacity on 21:02 - Aug 18 by raynor94

Exactly, the Council are getting away with blue murder, their past record on the development of the City is nothing short of scandalous

This one has been done to death so I will just add a couple of points. Swansea Council has been predominantly Welsh Labour hence they toe the line and allow Cardiff centric policies to continue to further their own careers. This in the hope that they can become another Mike Hedges, Julie James or Edwina Heart.
I am fed up of saying it but fourty miles of motorway does not make better councillors. They are all the same. Mediocre at best. It is the WAG agenda that is wrecking Wales. Not the inept representatives.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2016 8:07]

Potential Capacity on 08:06 - Aug 19 with 1399 viewsPrivate_Partz

Potential Capacity on 00:22 - Aug 19 by owainglyndwr

Latest population of Swansea in 242,000 not sure if you are looking at the the latest version. But Swansea has a equal population surrounding it with further populated towns
down West

Population is a difficult one Owen and the last listing I saw did say 11th. I guess it depends on what boundaries you look at. Regardless of that, the areas Harry H quotes are manily those surrounded by other clubs, many of whom are in the EPL. Swindon could be an exception but motorway links are so superb there that the glory hunters there can search out an alternative top flight club easily.
Not so with Swansea. We are relatively isolated with decent sized populations in surrounding areas. Make no mistake, if the current situation continues we will be pinching more and more supporters from the Cardiff areas.

Potential Capacity on 08:07 - Aug 19 with 1398 viewsDr_Winston

Potential Capacity on 07:59 - Aug 19 by Private_Partz

This one has been done to death so I will just add a couple of points. Swansea Council has been predominantly Welsh Labour hence they toe the line and allow Cardiff centric policies to continue to further their own careers. This in the hope that they can become another Mike Hedges, Julie James or Edwina Heart.
I am fed up of saying it but fourty miles of motorway does not make better councillors. They are all the same. Mediocre at best. It is the WAG agenda that is wrecking Wales. Not the inept representatives.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2016 8:07]

In one paragraph you blame the councillors for being Labour toadies, then in the next one you say it's not their fault.

If Swansea had capable councillors whose only interest was the betterment of the city and not petty politics it would make very little difference what the WAG did.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Potential Capacity on 08:09 - Aug 19 with 1395 viewsPrivate_Partz

Potential Capacity on 08:07 - Aug 19 by Dr_Winston

In one paragraph you blame the councillors for being Labour toadies, then in the next one you say it's not their fault.

If Swansea had capable councillors whose only interest was the betterment of the city and not petty politics it would make very little difference what the WAG did.

I did not say it was not the Council's fault. All of Welsh Labour is culpable. Do you honestly believe that they have better people in power in the SE than the rest of Wales and that is the reason there is such a massive disproportion in investment across the Pricioality?
[Post edited 19 Aug 2016 8:58]

Potential Capacity on 08:14 - Aug 19 with 1392 viewsDr_Winston

Potential Capacity on 08:09 - Aug 19 by Private_Partz

I did not say it was not the Council's fault. All of Welsh Labour is culpable. Do you honestly believe that they have better people in power in the SE than the rest of Wales and that is the reason there is such a massive disproportion in investment across the Pricioality?
[Post edited 19 Aug 2016 8:58]

What I'm saying is that if Swansea had better people leading the city then it makes no difference what the WAG does, or how good AM's are. Swansea does not need the WAG to attract investment. It just needs forward thinking leadership of its own.

If we act beholden to them, then we will be.

Potential Capacity on 08:56 - Aug 19 with 1357 viewsPrivate_Partz

Potential Capacity on 08:14 - Aug 19 by Dr_Winston

What I'm saying is that if Swansea had better people leading the city then it makes no difference what the WAG does, or how good AM's are. Swansea does not need the WAG to attract investment. It just needs forward thinking leadership of its own.

If we act beholden to them, then we will be.

And I say if WAG are there to govern Wales then that is what they should do. Cardiff has a massive advantage when government is only working for them. Steward is actually trying to redevelope Swansea centre but, let's face it, it has all gone quiet over there. He is hamstrung as he is not going to complain about the imbalance in investment. That is left to a few voices such as Holly and Black who are outside of Welsh Labour.
It ain't going to happen without the full backing of WAG, both financial and physical. We do not get either in Swansea whereas Cardiff get it with knobs on. WAG acts as a conduit for investment in Wales and unfortunately they point it all to their own doorstep.

Potential Capacity on 09:09 - Aug 19 with 1339 viewsraynor94

Potential Capacity on 08:56 - Aug 19 by Private_Partz

And I say if WAG are there to govern Wales then that is what they should do. Cardiff has a massive advantage when government is only working for them. Steward is actually trying to redevelope Swansea centre but, let's face it, it has all gone quiet over there. He is hamstrung as he is not going to complain about the imbalance in investment. That is left to a few voices such as Holly and Black who are outside of Welsh Labour.
It ain't going to happen without the full backing of WAG, both financial and physical. We do not get either in Swansea whereas Cardiff get it with knobs on. WAG acts as a conduit for investment in Wales and unfortunately they point it all to their own doorstep.

Swansea has been a disaster in development terms for donkeys years before the WAG was even created, I'm not holding my breath on the new development, and how long is it going to take to demolish the Top Rank and build new Council offices, I might not even see it in my lifetime

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024