Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Newcastle away - my takeaways 08:37 - Aug 19 with 1114 viewssaint901

It's going to be easy this season to find something negative in many games but I'm going to try to stay balanced.

The game was physical and I'm pleased to see that our players did not back down and instead stood their grounds. That said, Brereton did go down like a wounded gazelle and gave the ref no choice. Did he need to? Some will say that the Newcastle player was stupid and that our guy "felt contact" and went over. Personally I'd rather our guy (and all players) realised that the game is about scoring goals and not getting people sent off.

The goal against was GK error. It was however compounded by the fact that the other defenders were just not ready for that kind of error. They all know that playing short passes out of defence is risky but they all assumed we could do and let their concentration lapse. That is a coaching error.

The position that Stephens plays is necessary but for me he's not that player. We looked weak there. If RM wants that shape then he needs to find a better player. And if he can't find a player, he needs to change shape.

We made a lot of chances but last season's problems of a player to finish them, continue. It seems that nobody in our squad, fit enough to play, is the answer so these next two weeks of transfer window need to be used.

Overall we've seen worse starts to a season and whilst it's always disappointing to lose to 10 men, the team showed enough to encourage us.

Newcastle away - my takeaways on 08:50 - Aug 19 with 1065 viewssaintwizzler

Any of the Newcastle players would of gone down like a sack of shit if the roles were reversed.
Let’s not kid ourselves.
It’s about time we had some shithousery in our team.
We’ve had enough against us in the past.

We are here to win points and we should of had at least 1 on Saturday if we had a keeper who could kick a ball and a Centre Forward who can finish.

Learn by your mistakes. PLEASE.

On to Saturday.
WE MARCH ON

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Newcastle away - my takeaways on 10:05 - Aug 19 with 952 viewssaint901

Personally I find the play acting of players who go down holding their face or rolling about in an attempt to sway the ref (or perhaps they just like showing off) one of the aspects of the game that should be removed. Whilst it happens in all leagues, the PL seems to be the worst and it was one reason why I lost my interest and passion in the game.

As my son says, I like watching Saints but I don't like watching football.

If the authorities wanted to, they could end this play acting in a few weeks.

Rugby has a citing review post match. Let's have that. Let's have a panel of refs, ex players, coaches, etc who review incidents like the one at Newcastle.

If they decide that the "victim" has gone down too easily or is seeking to influence the ref by rolling around, then the red card is rescinded and instead is applied to the "victim". Three such incidents for any team = 1 point deduction.

Managers would be telling their players to stay on their feet and play the game and not look to get people sent off.

Will this happen.

of course not.
Newcastle away - my takeaways on 13:05 - Aug 19 with 809 viewsSonicBoom

I didn't see the whole game but I have to say it was a lot more encouraging than I was expecting. Apparently we were the better side even when they had 11 on the pitch.
I liked the confidence and there was some really neat passing around their box.

As for Diaz maybe I'm old school but I don't like to see our players rolling around like a tart trying to get others sent off. I'd be going mental if it happened to us so I can't be hypocritical when we do it.
That said it's just another form of pushing the boundaries isn't it. This weekend I saw Maguire get booked for diving and he's a centre back! Saka blatantly dived to try and get a pen too so they're all at it. That's just modern football I guess.

If we can somehow add a cutting edge then who knows we could start to look like a solid team. If not then it will be frustrating watching us pass endlessly and getting nowhere. I saw Leicester fans were happy to lose their manager and the telling comment was "well now hopefully we won't have to endure 40 passes just to get over the halfway line".
It might be effective in some days but most fans don't enjoy it.

As for the goal well I don't care how he's coached, he surely should know when to play short passes and when he needs to clear his lines. Better to clear it and explain to RM later why he did it, rather than blindly stick to instructions regardless of the situation and give goals away. Also RM has to realise you play the system that suits the players you have.
I also have never really got the hype around Alcaraz, but maybe that's just me.
But overall I thought it was a good effort and I'm quite encouraged and looking forward to the Forest game. Play like that and we could well take our first 3 points of the season.
Newcastle away - my takeaways on 16:31 - Aug 19 with 599 viewsBerber

First game of the season, we know our record. Many promoted sides shine for a few games, sometimes up until Christmas before falling away like a stone down a well. I saw some things to like in the game, and some familiar weaknesses, I’d be more worried if i was a mag frankly, they didn’t have much spark and looked more like Everton.

It will take 8-10 games before we can make a proper judgement, but without a proper GK and a striker that can score goals, it may not bode well fr us. We shall have to wait and see what the next 3 weeks bring first of all.

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

Newcastle away - my takeaways on 17:23 - Aug 19 with 538 viewsSoton

Newcastle away - my takeaways on 08:50 - Aug 19 by saintwizzler

Any of the Newcastle players would of gone down like a sack of shit if the roles were reversed.
Let’s not kid ourselves.
It’s about time we had some shithousery in our team.
We’ve had enough against us in the past.

We are here to win points and we should of had at least 1 on Saturday if we had a keeper who could kick a ball and a Centre Forward who can finish.

Learn by your mistakes. PLEASE.

On to Saturday.
WE MARCH ON

I agree, if he mixes it up a bit and then flops around like a stranded fish if someone so much as breaths on him I will be all for it, he will make his own space to play in and to be fair all the best players do it
Will will need any leverage we can get
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024