Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any positives? 19:37 - Aug 17 with 2640 viewskernow

Didn’t see the match but have read lots of negativity ,which is understandable from fans who are passionate and partisan.
Was there anything today which bodes well ?
Any positives? on 19:40 - Aug 17 with 2251 viewsBLEEDRED

We can keep possession,
Any positives? on 19:52 - Aug 17 with 2208 viewsPatfromPoole

Sugawara looked half-decent.

There does look to be a good togetherness between the team. We will need that.

Er……….

Can’t think of anything else TBH.

Big opportunity missed to get one of the 9 or 10 wins we will need to stay up.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Any positives? on 20:08 - Aug 17 with 2142 viewssaintmark1976

In a word. No.

Poll: On which date will we be relegated ?

Any positives? on 20:09 - Aug 17 with 2140 viewsIfonly

We're one game nearer Sports Republic realising that we shouldn't be trying to play tippy-tappy shite.
Any positives? on 20:24 - Aug 17 with 2100 viewsInTimeAddedOn

On the dark arts side of things Ben Brereton Diaz was nominated by the Academy Awards Committee for a TOBAS (Taken Out By A Sniper) award for his interaction with Fabian Schar that resulted in Schar’s red card. Even upheld by VAR. Dark arts have been practised against us often enough and it really rattled Newcastle to the extent there were scuffles in the tunnel at HT. On reflection, it might just have given Newcastle the resolve to get them over the line so it might have to be a no from me as well but BBD went down better than Lucy Pinder 😀
Any positives? on 00:01 - Aug 18 with 1900 viewscocklebreath

Loads of positives, we outplayed Newcastle but we have an absolutely sh!t keeper. I don’t get why everyone is so negative, if we buy or loan a decent goalie we’ll stay up if we don’t we go down.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Any positives? on 00:04 - Aug 18 with 1880 viewssaintpaz

Any positives? on 00:01 - Aug 18 by cocklebreath

Loads of positives, we outplayed Newcastle but we have an absolutely sh!t keeper. I don’t get why everyone is so negative, if we buy or loan a decent goalie we’ll stay up if we don’t we go down.

why haven't we already bought a GK though? It was and is so obvious!
Any positives? on 00:09 - Aug 18 with 1865 viewscocklebreath

Any positives? on 00:04 - Aug 18 by saintpaz

why haven't we already bought a GK though? It was and is so obvious!

No idea it’s been obvious for about 10 years, for some reason the club think it’s not important.

Login to get fewer ads

Any positives? on 00:54 - Aug 18 with 1826 viewsPatfromPoole

Because we never looked like scoring against 10 men, and were utterly clueless against a team which will finish mid table.

McCarthy isn’t a shit goalkeeper, he just isn’t good with the ball at his feet.

Martin was fully aware of this when he brought him in towards the end of last season, so any sane person would have to ask why he set him up to fail this season.

Any positives? on 08:16 - Aug 18 with 1638 viewsButty101

Any positives? on 00:54 - Aug 18 by PatfromPoole

Because we never looked like scoring against 10 men, and were utterly clueless against a team which will finish mid table.

Martin was fully aware of this when he brought him in towards the end of last season, so any sane person would have to ask why he set him up to fail this season.

Reaction have been way over the top.

It’s promising display but we need a couple decent players and we can stay up

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Any positives? on 09:27 - Aug 18 with 1488 viewsdirk_doone

Any positives? on 00:54 - Aug 18 by PatfromPoole

"McCarthy isn’t a shit goalkeeper"

Oh yes he is. His saves to shots on target ratio is diabolical. He's got poor reflexes, poor positioning, he dithers, can't control a football, gets beaten at his near post, doesn't come off his line and lacks bravery. He is a terrible goalkeeper.

The main positive from this game is that maybe Russell Martin will finally realize that now.
[Post edited 18 Aug 9:32]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Any positives? on 09:39 - Aug 18 with 1435 viewsgreen

I thought we looked okay at times.

Before the game some people were predicting a heavy defeat and even before the sending off we were slightly better than them. We looked as though we deserved to be in the league and had a game plan. Smallbone, for example, slotted in well when many have doubted him at PL standard. KWP in the first half was superb and I liked Sugarwara, was also good to see the youngsters get some minutes as subs showing there is a pathway to the first team.

We rarely win on the opening day nor at St James Park (I seem to remember losing when they had players sent off before, might have been during lockdown when Bruce was in charge).

As mentioned by many though it is a worry that we lack the extra bit of quality at both ends of the pitch.
Any positives? on 09:47 - Aug 18 with 1424 viewsdirk_doone

Any positives? on 09:39 - Aug 18 by green

I thought we looked okay at times.

Before the game some people were predicting a heavy defeat and even before the sending off we were slightly better than them. We looked as though we deserved to be in the league and had a game plan. Smallbone, for example, slotted in well when many have doubted him at PL standard. KWP in the first half was superb and I liked Sugarwara, was also good to see the youngsters get some minutes as subs showing there is a pathway to the first team.

We rarely win on the opening day nor at St James Park (I seem to remember losing when they had players sent off before, might have been during lockdown when Bruce was in charge).

As mentioned by many though it is a worry that we lack the extra bit of quality at both ends of the pitch.

We looked very similar to how Ipswich looked against Liverpool in the first 30 minutes of their game yesterday. Top teams put weaker teams to the sword in the 2nd half. Newcastle couldn't do that because they were reduced to 10 men early on. If they'd had 11, they'd have had at least 3 more shots on target in the 2nd half and it would have been a routine 4-0 win.
[Post edited 18 Aug 9:49]

Any positives? on 09:48 - Aug 18 with 1420 viewsPatfromPoole

To quote the report in the Telegraph…..

“Their (Newcastle’s) quest to see out the victory was aided greatly by the manner in which the visitors were utterly bereft of attacking ideas, as visiting coach Russell Martin was left to reflect on squandering a huge opportunity to mark his side’s return to the top flight with a victory.”

Do you get it yet?

Any positives? on 10:54 - Aug 18 with 1228 viewsButty101

Any positives? on 09:48 - Aug 18 by PatfromPoole

“Their (Newcastle’s) quest to see out the victory was aided greatly by the manner in which the visitors were utterly bereft of attacking ideas, as visiting coach Russell Martin was left to reflect on squandering a huge opportunity to mark his side’s return to the top flight with a victory.”

Do you get it yet?

Pat did you go yesterday? I didnt but just watched the extended high lights.

It was a decent performance, We created 6 good chances. Smallbone looked good and drove things forward.

I feel quiite positive, get a keeper in and we will be fine.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Any positives? on 11:25 - Aug 18 with 1142 viewsfelly1

Any positives? on 10:54 - Aug 18 by Butty101

It was a decent performance, We created 6 good chances. Smallbone looked good and drove things forward.

Yep, I thought it was a pretty good performance just the goalie error and an inability to find a way past the mass of Newcastle bodies blocking shots.
Midfield three played really well, Suga looked quality and overall .

It really shouldn't be an issue bringing in a higher calibre keeper.
The hard thing at this level is finding players who can score in quantity and or create good chances.
It's likely going to be a tough old season , this will no doubt fuel the more negative types that post on here.
I'm going to try and be positive as always, and stick with the manager and players .
Any positives? on 11:30 - Aug 18 with 1129 viewsBerber

Any positives? on 09:27 - Aug 18 by dirk_doone

"McCarthy isn’t a shit goalkeeper"

Oh yes he is. His saves to shots on target ratio is diabolical. He's got poor reflexes, poor positioning, he dithers, can't control a football, gets beaten at his near post, doesn't come off his line and lacks bravery. He is a terrible goalkeeper.

The main positive from this game is that maybe Russell Martin will finally realize that now.
[Post edited 18 Aug 9:32]

Apart from that,……..

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

Any positives? on 11:49 - Aug 18 with 1110 viewsPatfromPoole

No, am away on hols.

Watched the whole game live on a stream.

Which meant I had a far better perspective on the game than those stood up in the gods 😉

Have been there before to see that it’s a complete waste of time going there; you spend half the time guessing which player has the ball and how high in the air the ball is.

Any positives? on 12:19 - Aug 18 with 1004 views1ASIN12

From my view high up in the away section , we played ok and kept Newcastle at bay and the fears of letting in an early goal so evaporated.

We came into the game as the half went on even ,created a couple of chances but without really seriously threatening, however you always knew we’d let a goal in at some point .

When they went down to 10 men you got the feeling we had to make use of the extra man and for large parts of the 1st half we did, however Newcastle had a rare attack and McCarthy did what we all knew he would do if we asked him to play out from the back, and Newcastle scored just before half time .

I got the feeling Newcastle knew if they kept it to 2 banks of 4 after the break we didn’t have the players to break them down. In the end we were too predictable and easy to defend against .

2 things I blamed Martin for 1) Expecting McCarthy to play out the back and 2) his subs at half time . Should have taken Stephen’s off and kept Sugawara on .

Thought both wing backs and cracking games so did Downs , Aribo and Smallbone.

Still we competed and we won’t go down because we lost to the likes of Newcastle away. We might if we lose to the likes of Forest at home.

Id never thought I’d say this but if Bazunu was in goal we would have come away with a 0-0 draw as he wound not have fvcked up and there were no other shots on target.
[Post edited 18 Aug 12:24]
Any positives? on 12:25 - Aug 18 with 982 viewsIfonly

6 good chances? Not sure about that. In terms of end product, we had 1 cleared off the line and Pope made 1 good save. That's about it. It wasn't a terrible performance, we had good possession, but we need to do something with that possession.

According to the match stats, we had 78% possession and Pope made 3 saves (a couple of which, as I remember were routine). Any team that has 78% possession should be forcing the keeper to do more than 3 saves.

I don't think we'll be fine unless we score goals and yesterday showed we're going to struggle to do that. Our tactics, slow build up and lack of height mean that this is always going to be a problem. Sugawara was about the only player who wanted to get to the goal line and pull the ball back (which is what we should have been doing to create chances, particularly when they were down to 10). Hopefully that won't be coached out of him too soon.
Any positives? on 12:42 - Aug 18 with 951 viewsBuenosSaint

Any positives? on 12:25 - Aug 18 by Ifonly

6 good chances? Not sure about that. In terms of end product, we had 1 cleared off the line and Pope made 1 good save. That's about it. It wasn't a terrible performance, we had good possession, but we need to do something with that possession.

According to the match stats, we had 78% possession and Pope made 3 saves (a couple of which, as I remember were routine). Any team that has 78% possession should be forcing the keeper to do more than 3 saves.

I don't think we'll be fine unless we score goals and yesterday showed we're going to struggle to do that. Our tactics, slow build up and lack of height mean that this is always going to be a problem. Sugawara was about the only player who wanted to get to the goal line and pull the ball back (which is what we should have been doing to create chances, particularly when they were down to 10). Hopefully that won't be coached out of him too soon.

I agree. Caught up on highlights of all PL goals and at the end of the day saints did not have the speed, skill and creativity matching anyway near most of those goals.
KWP and Sugawara aside, Saints were weak all over.

Unless things change fast or St. Mary's somehow miraculously becomes a fortress, this season will be a depressing slog.

Saw full highlights of forest game too. They are no pushovers and much much faster than us.

Poll: The Long Future

Any positives? on 13:11 - Aug 18 with 909 viewsdirk_doone

Any positives? on 12:42 - Aug 18 by BuenosSaint

I agree. Caught up on highlights of all PL goals and at the end of the day saints did not have the speed, skill and creativity matching anyway near most of those goals.
KWP and Sugawara aside, Saints were weak all over.

Unless things change fast or St. Mary's somehow miraculously becomes a fortress, this season will be a depressing slog.

Saw full highlights of forest game too. They are no pushovers and much much faster than us.

I agree too. Let's not make too much of the fact we only lost 1-0. We won't have the good fortune to play against 10 men every week. Most other teams, like Brighton for example, would have beaten them.

We played as well as you'd expect a team lacking a proper goalkeeper or centre forward to play, against a 10-man team just trying to hang on.
[Post edited 18 Aug 13:17]

Any positives? on 13:14 - Aug 18 with 882 viewscocklebreath

Any positives? on 09:48 - Aug 18 by PatfromPoole

Do you get it yet?

Not sure I like aggressive Pat.

Any positives? on 13:32 - Aug 18 with 850 views1885_SFC

It's worth remembering that yesterday was our first game of the season back in the top flight and although the same can be said for Newcastle (it being their opening game), we have had a lot more personnel changes in the team than them since being promoted last season.

We looked rusty at times, especially in the final third, but a few more games together should give us an idea of who's capable of what & what our best team will be for the season ahead.

We were decent enough at times but we are going to need to be a lot more ruthless in front of goal if we're going to survive in this division, that's for sure.

Please Saints, FFS, get a bloody decent keeper in before too long. Between the sticks should have been our No.1 target the day after winning against Leeds at Wembley.

Old School is Cool

Any positives? on 15:48 - Aug 18 with 733 viewsBridders2

Thought JWP was excellent, probably putting on a show for Tottenham and he showed what a big hole he'll leave when he goes....a big loss. Let's hope he signs a new contract with us, but I doubt it, we need to sell him in his last year.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024