Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? 00:50 - Sep 2 with 16371 viewsDylanP

We have heaps of midfielders and we brought in another one at the end of the transfer window. Meanwhile, we have nobody up top who can score.

Dykes, Bonne, Roberts, and Armstrong.

Admittedly, Armstrong has looked exciting in his sub appearances. But the Gaffer doesn't trust him to start. Meanwhile, Dykes huffs and puff, but he isn't actually adding to the scoreline, which is what a striker is there to do. Nobody seems to trust Bonne and Roberts hasn't played much.

We've scored 12 goals this season, 2 from strikers -- one each for Dykes and Roberts. That is pathetic. Laird has as many goals as Dykes this season Actually, so has Seny FFS!

You cannot have consistency when you are expecting goals from midfield and defense every week. Midfielders are supposed to contribute to the goalscoring, not be the only ones on the scoresheet.

Maybe Dykes will come good. But why would anyone believe that? Considering that with the exception of a short spurt last season he hasn't done anything for us. He's scored about once every 4 games throughout his QPR career. Not exactly setting the house on fire, is it.

We are scoring goals for fun right now thanks to Chair and Willock, but its putting too much pressure on those two to do everything. We need someone in front of them who can pitch in too

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 18:56 - Sep 2 with 2894 viewsstainrods_elbow

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 12:27 - Sep 2 by CamberleyR

Chair and Willock in the old 2-3-5 or W-M days would have been considered as inside forwards i.e. the supporting forwards either side of the centre forward with the outside right and left on the wings. This is pretty much how they are playing in Beale's 4-3-2-1 (Venables' old Christmas tree?) formation with them pushing forward and supporting Dykes in the centre forward role.

That'd be my kind of football - 2-3-5, with a press so high it takes the skin off your very breath. When was the last time anyone played it? Even 4-3-3 feels like another era now. All part and parcel of the decline of the modern game as an attacking spectacle.

Poll: On the basis of pre-season.the current squad, where will we finish this sea son?

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 18:56 - Sep 2 with 2944 viewsBklynRanger

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 18:51 - Sep 2 by stainrods_elbow

I don't think anyone's demanding 'a dozen signings' or anything like it - get a grip, man! I and they are just pointing out the club's not had a seriously decent, fit, and committed goal-scoring striker for so long it looks like they have an inexplicable aversion.

'an inexplicable aversion' - this is why it's great I've been hidden by this mentalist - it allows that sort of comment to be more performance art than anything else.
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 19:04 - Sep 2 with 2870 viewsstainrods_elbow

Chair and Willock scored 9 and 7 respectively last season. I think both are more likely than not to better those totals this one, but not out of all recognition. Gray was our top scorer with 10, so if Dykes doesn't better his 8, others are going to have to seriously step up or it could all go Warbs-shaped.

Poll: On the basis of pre-season.the current squad, where will we finish this sea son?

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 19:06 - Sep 2 with 2864 viewsstainrods_elbow

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 18:56 - Sep 2 by BklynRanger

'an inexplicable aversion' - this is why it's great I've been hidden by this mentalist - it allows that sort of comment to be more performance art than anything else.

You've lost me, mate. but glad I entertain you in some kind of avant-garde direction!
[Post edited 3 Sep 2022 18:18]

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 19:08 - Sep 2 with 2901 viewsBklynRanger

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 19:06 - Sep 2 by stainrods_elbow

You've lost me, mate. but glad I entertain you in some kind of avant-garde direction!
[Post edited 3 Sep 2022 18:18]

Re-hide please
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 19:31 - Sep 2 with 2846 viewsLanhoop

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 11:18 - Sep 2 by Northernr

None at all, but there is a prevailing attitude now, particularly among the supporters who follow it through social media, that the whole game is about signings and if you're not making signings you're not doing it right, and whether the signings are any good or not doesn't really matter because come the next window they'll just be demanding another dozen signings over the top of those signings. See how quickly they went from "announce Austin bro or I'll kill my nan bro" to "Austin's fcking sht bro get out of my football club bro" last season.

Which is why this thread is just Twitter re-visited.

"Mwah, Mwah. No ambition. Didn't buy me a striker". "He's crap". "We're fine". "Relegation if xxx gets injured".

Get real people. We have a lot of good players to watch and enjoy. Don't be distracted by transfer hype. Take the time to just appreciate watching some real gems. Enjoy Chair, Willock, Dunne, Dieng, Paal, Laird, Armstrong and others while you have the chance. There's a lot of clubs who would be very happy to have these guys in their team.
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 20:23 - Sep 2 with 2756 viewsPinnerPaul

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 06:39 - Sep 2 by davman

With you on all of that until you asked "who you going to double mark - Chair, Willock or Dykes".At the moment, does anyone need to double up on Dykes? I think he does a great job of marking himself!

FWIW I think the club tried to get one in, but couldn't, so they pulled the plug on the Bonne deal. Hopefully, despite sulking recently, we will bring him back in to the fold as he will be needed at some point.

As you say the lack of decent back up at LB is more of a concern.

But the winter window is not that far away this season because of the WC, so hopefully we stay injury free and successful results wise 'til then...

Certainly not panning out to be a dull season so far. Despair, then hope just 7 games in!

I have never seen him sulking.

At Wealdstone he was shouting and bawling like it was a league game.

He is often on the pitch at the end celebrating with the other players.

Think fans have a slightly skewed view at times, he is not a fan, he is a professional, he is being paid, and of course wants to play, but they all know that all of them will miss games, through loss of form, injury, suspension or just because the manager has said so.

You don't get to where these players are without being able to handle setbacks.
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 20:34 - Sep 2 with 2724 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 19:31 - Sep 2 by Lanhoop

Which is why this thread is just Twitter re-visited.

"Mwah, Mwah. No ambition. Didn't buy me a striker". "He's crap". "We're fine". "Relegation if xxx gets injured".

Get real people. We have a lot of good players to watch and enjoy. Don't be distracted by transfer hype. Take the time to just appreciate watching some real gems. Enjoy Chair, Willock, Dunne, Dieng, Paal, Laird, Armstrong and others while you have the chance. There's a lot of clubs who would be very happy to have these guys in their team.

Couldn't agree more. I loved the game against Hull, it was fantastic to watch us play like that.
And I am certain that Beale is the man to take us up, just look at Villa and what is happening there, this bloke is a seriously good coach. I think he may be a OCD when it comes to football, he comes across as obsessive with tactics etc. He has managed to get the midfield playing like that after a couple of months! What do people want?!

If we stay injury free (big if), then we will be promoted.
Login to get fewer ads

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 20:41 - Sep 2 with 2705 viewsDejR_vu

Whilst accepting that FFP means we cant afford a decent striker, the issue for me is how we've worked our way into this position. We've signed plenty over the years but they've all been duds. We've wasted so much money. If we hadn't done such an appalling job on the striker front we would either have a decent one on the books, or money to buy one from the sale proceeds of a decent one we'd sold. For a club not to own a decent striker for the best part of a decade is unforgiveable.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 20:54 - Sep 2 with 2630 viewsstainrods_elbow

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 19:08 - Sep 2 by BklynRanger

Re-hide please

Good god, what a child-man you are! Here's an idea: go play hide and seek with yourself.

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 21:52 - Sep 2 with 2534 viewsvanrrrr

Mick B going to have us playing like 1982 Brazil, you watch.

Dykes our Serginho… cult hero.
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 23:01 - Sep 2 with 2442 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

We are no more entitled to a 20 goals a season striker than Steven Hawking is entitled to a place on the next Lion’s tour.
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 23:35 - Sep 2 with 2398 viewsNewBee

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 23:01 - Sep 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

We are no more entitled to a 20 goals a season striker than Steven Hawking is entitled to a place on the next Lion’s tour.

Cos' he died in 2018?
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 02:37 - Sep 3 with 2325 viewsDavieQPR

I'm just amazed that someone can ask this sort of question. Are they attention seeking or do they really not understand.
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 08:37 - Sep 3 with 2216 viewsNorthantsHoop

I have come to think that our developing style of play is about goals throughout our attacking players i.e. Chair, Roberts and Willock, anything Dykes gets is a bonus. Dykes is in there to rough players up and get on the end of crosses. If we get 10 goals out of him this season then that will be seen as a success. The most important thing is goals being delivered throughout the team and getting Sinclair Armstrong firing as he looks a right handful.
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 09:32 - Sep 3 with 2142 viewsdavman

I wonder whether the International Break might actually do us some good this time round as I can't believe Clarke would overlook Che McAdams and Ross Stewart to play Dykes. If he gets dropped from Scotland, who knows how he will react; it could be the making of him...

We'll see...

Injury free is the secret to this season. If that happens, we may well fly; if not, we won't.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 14:44 - Sep 3 with 1993 viewsDylanP

The OP was a frustration post, obviously and lots of good points made here.

The thing is, seasons are not won on the spectacular goals of the 3-0 romps, but on the ground out 1-0 wins on Tuesdays away. Ugly wins are what ultimately put you over the top. The lack of a striker is going to make that very difficult. Dykes is the best we have and, frankly, he is a placeholder -- a space filler where a striker should be.

Loads of the posts below say "if we can avoid injury", well honestly, we cant. All teams have injuries. 46 games means including lots of 3 games in 8 days, means that legs will wear out and players will end up on the physio bench. Right now if we lose Chair or Willock, we risk a stretch like the end of last season. That is what we all dread,

In the end, my guess is Beale shares the same frustration, but he can't make players appear on the transfer lists if they aint there so we will have to make the best of what we have -- which we have done a good job over over the last 2 games.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 19:45 - Sep 3 with 1915 viewsdaveB

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 07:40 - Sep 2 by Northernr

FFP headroom.

Couldn't stretch to the loan fee for Archer, and nor should they have done.

Whilst I completly agree with this I look at the fact we've signed 5 loan players who could be gone in january if their clubs want them back, West brom signed young Thomas-Asante the other day, 300k the rumoured price. Always looked impressive at Salford. He might end up being crap but do wonder why we're not able to get someone like him rather than use the money on loans. We always seem a year behind on players like that. Bonne would have been a lot cheaper a year earlier and less of an issue if he didn't work out

Every summer window we need the same positions filled, full back, midfield and forwards and every year we fill them with loans and start again the following year, thats just not sustainable unless we get promoted
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 20:09 - Sep 3 with 1843 viewsCamberleyR

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 19:45 - Sep 3 by daveB

Whilst I completly agree with this I look at the fact we've signed 5 loan players who could be gone in january if their clubs want them back, West brom signed young Thomas-Asante the other day, 300k the rumoured price. Always looked impressive at Salford. He might end up being crap but do wonder why we're not able to get someone like him rather than use the money on loans. We always seem a year behind on players like that. Bonne would have been a lot cheaper a year earlier and less of an issue if he didn't work out

Every summer window we need the same positions filled, full back, midfield and forwards and every year we fill them with loans and start again the following year, thats just not sustainable unless we get promoted

"West brom signed young Thomas-Asante the other day, 300k the rumoured price. Always looked impressive at Salford"

For donkeys years we haven't scouted the lower leagues very well, this is one area that we need to improve on big time if we want to trade our way out of this league like Brentford. We haven't really done this very well at all since the days we were getting Sinton from Brentford, Brevett from Doncaster and Sinclair from Blackpool.

I'm sure Clive gets fed up of saying that we should be the club that should be signing Matt Phillips and Charlie Austin from Wycombe and Swindon respectively rather than when we actually signed them for hefty fees from Blackpool and Burnley.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 22:57 - Sep 3 with 1785 viewsdaveB

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 20:09 - Sep 3 by CamberleyR

"West brom signed young Thomas-Asante the other day, 300k the rumoured price. Always looked impressive at Salford"

For donkeys years we haven't scouted the lower leagues very well, this is one area that we need to improve on big time if we want to trade our way out of this league like Brentford. We haven't really done this very well at all since the days we were getting Sinton from Brentford, Brevett from Doncaster and Sinclair from Blackpool.

I'm sure Clive gets fed up of saying that we should be the club that should be signing Matt Phillips and Charlie Austin from Wycombe and Swindon respectively rather than when we actually signed them for hefty fees from Blackpool and Burnley.

look at Ivan Toney, properly brilliant centre forward, where were we when he left Newcastle to join Peterbrough. I always think by the time I've heard a player is any good the club should have known at least a year before me if they are doing their job properly. Thats where the difference between succsess at our level and failure.
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 23:08 - Sep 3 with 1760 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 22:57 - Sep 3 by daveB

look at Ivan Toney, properly brilliant centre forward, where were we when he left Newcastle to join Peterbrough. I always think by the time I've heard a player is any good the club should have known at least a year before me if they are doing their job properly. Thats where the difference between succsess at our level and failure.

"properly brilliant centre forward". Is he? I mean Harry Kane is properly brilliant. Brentford have been making alright strikers look good for years.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 00:32 - Sep 4 with 1681 viewsdaveB

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 23:08 - Sep 3 by CliveWilsonSaid

"properly brilliant centre forward". Is he? I mean Harry Kane is properly brilliant. Brentford have been making alright strikers look good for years.

Well it's all relative, he's very good and light years ahead of anything we've had in years
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 13:51 - Sep 4 with 1491 viewsswitchingcode

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 23:08 - Sep 3 by CliveWilsonSaid

So true the fact that nobody came in for him last week maybe words got around
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 15:30 - Sep 4 with 1362 viewsManinBlack

The thing is for me is we are still in single figures for games played yet we have already lost 1-0 three times. This does indicate not having a striker scoring goals is costing us if one goal is too much for us to pull back. We had plenty of time to save the Swansea and Blackpool defeats but never really looked like we would score.

By contrast we have not kept a clean sheet yet so everyone we have played have not been as toothless as us. When we have won this season we still concede which suggests we have a problem in defence as much as strikers not scoring.

There is no doubt that we need to be on our game for players in all positions to score as when we have been off it, we don't create much for the non scoring forwards anyway like yesterday.
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 18:59 - Sep 4 with 1213 viewsDamo1962

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 15:30 - Sep 4 by ManinBlack

The thing is for me is we are still in single figures for games played yet we have already lost 1-0 three times. This does indicate not having a striker scoring goals is costing us if one goal is too much for us to pull back. We had plenty of time to save the Swansea and Blackpool defeats but never really looked like we would score.

By contrast we have not kept a clean sheet yet so everyone we have played have not been as toothless as us. When we have won this season we still concede which suggests we have a problem in defence as much as strikers not scoring.

There is no doubt that we need to be on our game for players in all positions to score as when we have been off it, we don't create much for the non scoring forwards anyway like yesterday.

I said before, that losing 1-0 is the most frustrating scoreline. Forget Dykes, as he will never score enough. The rest are all chipping in...which is good to see. We need to stop leaking so many goals - that will take some pressure of the front guys. Like someone alluded to above - what happens to us in the second half of games? Very perplexing. Let's see what happens when all if MB's acquisition's are available. Think at least a couple in the side at the moment will be looking over their shoulders.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024