Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Roxy Music. At 50. 18:31 - Aug 11 with 6201 viewsDiscodroids

From Art School Rock to Detroit Funk to Yacht Rock to Berlin School Minimoog Experimental, to studio 54 hedonisim , Roxy celebrate 50 years as a Band this week.

When i first saw Ferry At 10 years old on the Old grey whstle test in Gi army unifrom with his tie tucked in between the 3rd and fourth buttons sigining 'Both ends burning' like an unhinged ' B' movie Hollywood Roman Emperor crazed on grape and syphillis , i was hooked.

The print Ferry and Roxy left on my tastebuds was ambrosial and indelible. All the Persil powder in the world could not shift it.

BBC have marked the occassion with the below fan appreciation link. From Nile Rogers who said they copied Roxy after seeing them in'74 and wanted Chic to be 'The Black Roxy Music', to Irvine Welsh, jim Kerr, Midge Ure, Bobby Gillespie, to the sparks, all laying the Love on Roxy with their personal stories...

Have a listen if you're a fan.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jul/12/over-1000-children-telford-sexua

Anyway , good excuse to post your favourite Roxy Tracks...

The man is style beyond any known parameters created by the Divine hand of God .

[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 18:35]

".... You are the... Duke of New York... You're A-Number One!".

Roxy Music. At 50. on 16:10 - Aug 12 with 1338 viewsstevec

Roxy Music. At 50. on 11:31 - Aug 12 by DavieQPR

Meanwhile he went on to marry his son's ex girlfriend who was 37years his junior.

Blimey. Now that is not a good look.

Wonder what Xmas is like round their gaff?
Roxy Music. At 50. on 16:24 - Aug 12 with 1301 viewsStainrod

The greatest of all British bands in my opinion Disco, criminally underrated, when they had a quirkiness, a sensibility, flair, romantic longing, oddness, and a a constant genius to remake/ remodel - influencing just about everybody (including Bowie, who was their number one fan and would attend Roxy concerts whenever he could studying Ferry's every gesture).

As another poster pointed out they also produced some really thumping rock tracks that got forgotten in their later smooth incarnation.

So good live and can't wait for the re-union tour, even if the drugs and ciggies have probably not helped.

For two different sides of Roxy I would select these two live tracks:

Roxy Music. At 50. on 18:09 - Aug 12 with 1247 viewsjohnhoop

Roxy Music. At 50. on 20:26 - Aug 11 by Discodroids

Starts off like a hillbilly redneck coors light jam... Mutates into Rampton romper suit Madness.

'Growing potatoes by the score'

Only Roxy.

[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 20:35]

I think context is everything with that lyric Disco.

“ I would do anything for you
I would climb mountains,
I would swim all the oceans blue

I would walk a thousand miles
Reveal my secrets
More than enough for me to share

I would put roses round our door,
Sit in the garden,
Growing potatoes by the score.”

And that’s even without the incredible emotional intensity of the verses that close the song.
Roxy Music. At 50. on 18:47 - Aug 12 with 1211 viewsBoston

Roxy Music. At 50. on 11:31 - Aug 12 by DavieQPR

Meanwhile he went on to marry his son's ex girlfriend who was 37years his junior.

"I'm just a jealous guy."

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Roxy Music. At 50. on 22:19 - Aug 12 with 1156 viewsCiderwithRsie

Roxy Music. At 50. on 11:11 - Aug 12 by Metallica_Hoop

I didn't realize they were so rocky back in the day.

This is Bryan Ferry solo rather than Roxy, but rockier than usual:

Roxy Music. At 50. on 09:49 - Aug 13 with 1071 viewsDraytonR

Roxy Music. At 50. on 13:20 - Aug 12 by francisbowles

I realise the guys are getting on a bit but a bit stingy with the UK dates. Great swathes of the country not covered. The only gig in the South is the Millenium Dome, a venue that is difficult to get to for many outside London and not a great experience imho.

Expensive too for a decent seat and we've just shelled out a few hundred on Springsteen tickets for Hyde Park next year.

Shame, I've never seen them and would like to but am not tempted by this.

Seen Bryan Ferry quite a few times , but this is the first time I've seen Roxy Music , not happy to she'll out £100 a ticket to sit in the O2 which is a crap venue ,but I'm sure this will be the last time they play .
Roxy Music. At 50. on 21:05 - Aug 13 with 957 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Roxy Music. At 50. on 10:48 - Aug 12 by robith

Maybe a basic opinion, but Love is The Drug is one of my top 10 songs ever, and often the first song to go on the list

I feel the same way about this song which was written by them. I don't actually like their version of it that much but I don't like anyone else's version better.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Roxy Music. At 50. on 07:22 - Oct 15 with 792 viewsSimplyNico

On the back of this thread, I went to see them last night. Brilliant.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024