Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Working class or middle class roots 13:50 - Jul 11 with 6374 viewssoops

Countless sociologists have spent thousands of hours on research to identify the essence of class roots. I could have made it simple for them with one irrefutable test.
It’s a slightly warm day and you don’t want to wear your jumper. Do you (a) tie it round your waste or (b) drape it over your shoulders?
Working class or middle class roots on 20:01 - Jul 11 with 1858 viewsSonofpugwash

Isn't a woolly jumper just a kangaroo?

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Working class or middle class roots on 20:08 - Jul 11 with 1868 viewshantssi

Working class or middle class roots on 18:45 - Jul 11 by TwoHalves

Used to love playing pullovers for goalposts as a kid.

When one was playing rugger one assumes?!
Working class or middle class roots on 21:27 - Jul 11 with 1774 viewsBoston

Working class or middle class roots on 16:09 - Jul 11 by robith

Met a lass at uni who was always banging on about how working class she was, especially compared to me. Turned out she lived in a converted farm house, her parents were a head teacher and a consultant. When revealed, her rationale was essentially just she was Northern and I was from London.

In the modern economy, the terms have become irrelevant
[Post edited 11 Jul 2023 16:10]

Not long after I first disembarked on these shores, I was invited to a party at the house of a couple of nurses I'd become friendly with.
During the evening, I was introduced to a female guest, "ooh you must meet her, she's from England too."
Fair enough, I approach blondie, she'd had a few and was fairly boisterous, with a very strong northern accent, (which turned out to be from Middlesbrough). Within a minute of the introduction, she was berating me in front of god knows how many people for being 'posh', "you can tell by his accent y'know", she informed all and sundry.
I asked her if she was also a nurse ? "ACTUALLY, I'm a doctor", came the reply. "What about you", she enquired? "Oh y'know, I'm unblocking toilets, digging holes in the road, putting roofs on houses, that sort of thing" - she shut up.
A few minutes later another lady glided by, quietly she informed me she was from Newcastle and I shouldn't take any notice of her, Middlesbrough people were dog shit!
[Post edited 11 Jul 2023 21:36]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Working class or middle class roots on 21:55 - Jul 11 with 1739 viewsSimonJames

I don't even own a jumper!
Temperature has to drop below 10°C before I put a second layer on.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Working class or middle class roots on 22:49 - Jul 11 with 1654 viewsnumptydumpty

Every generation before my parents, I guess if you define working class by money and where someone lives, then they were all very working class, and lived in high rise council flats.

Parents lived in leafy suburbia but can't say we were ever wealthy but they owned their own property.

I ended up in mortgaged flat in decent town.

But to me I can't say I would personally classify people by their income, their living arrangements or their occupation.

I known some very wealthy friends and some incredibly poor mates too.

There are decent people at both ends of the spectrum and similarly some right old wotsits poor and rich alike too.

Probably better way of categorising people these days too.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2023 22:50]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Working class or middle class roots on 23:44 - Jul 11 with 1600 viewsGloryHunter

A builder mate of mine has a good definition. He says you can tell people are middle class if they try to reason with their children.
Working class or middle class roots on 01:42 - Jul 12 with 1556 viewsSydneyRs

If you actually care about rugby union, middle class.
Working class or middle class roots on 03:10 - Jul 12 with 1508 viewsnumptydumpty

Working class or middle class roots on 23:44 - Jul 11 by GloryHunter

A builder mate of mine has a good definition. He says you can tell people are middle class if they try to reason with their children.

Ok

Well I was certainly not middle class then !!!

My dad was always right and never wrong and even when he was proved to be wrong, he was actually not.
The sketch with John Cleese, Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett comes to mind.

[Post edited 12 Jul 2023 3:21]

Login to get fewer ads

Working class or middle class roots on 09:32 - Jul 12 with 1411 viewsBluce_Ree

I don't know about jumpers (waist for me because I don't want to look preppy) but flags are an indicator too.

If you've got a flag on or around your house, you're mostly likely chronically common unless your house is a castle, at which point you're disgustingly posh.

Depends on the flag though. I think the Union Jack is going back to being respectable thanks to the Bake Off. But if you've got a manky flag from 2020 that says 'THANK YOU NHS' or one that refers to sport, then you might be common.

At that point I'd start counting teeth. If there's the full set of 32 but it's spread across 2-3 adults, then at that point I'm expecting more neck tattoos than jobs in that household.

[/judgey]

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Working class or middle class roots on 11:38 - Jul 12 with 1328 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Tuppence ha’penny looking down on tuppence
Working class or middle class roots on 14:11 - Jul 13 with 1101 viewstonyQPR

Working class or middle class roots on 15:44 - Jul 11 by Hayesender

Jelly you say!!!

Sod this working class malarkey

Amazing pig pies from M&S ✅
Working class or middle class roots on 14:41 - Jul 13 with 1026 viewsMonkey_Roots

Working class or middle class roots on 14:11 - Jul 13 by tonyQPR

Amazing pig pies from M&S ✅

If anyone finds themselves near to Windsor farm shop, give yourself a treat and visit their deli counter... The chicken and ham cutting pie is phenomenal, and their pork pies are chock full of disgusting jelly goodness.

I'm not allowed there anymore :(
Working class or middle class roots on 19:35 - Jul 13 with 936 viewsRebalhoop

Working class or middle class roots on 14:41 - Jul 13 by Monkey_Roots

If anyone finds themselves near to Windsor farm shop, give yourself a treat and visit their deli counter... The chicken and ham cutting pie is phenomenal, and their pork pies are chock full of disgusting jelly goodness.

I'm not allowed there anymore :(

I’ve looked through the window a couple of times,
That’s as close as they let us Slough oiks get….
Working class or middle class roots on 19:57 - Jul 13 with 908 viewsSonofpugwash

Drinking tea out of a saucer.
Standing up for the national anthem at end of TV progs...

My old dad's favourite...
"I eat me peas with honey,
I've done it all me life
It makes the peas taste funny
But it keeps them on the knife."

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Working class or middle class roots on 20:32 - Jul 13 with 884 viewscolinallcars

Working class or middle class roots on 19:57 - Jul 13 by Sonofpugwash

I've done it all me life

It's a funny ol' world we live in,
But the world's not entirely to blame
It's the rich wot gets the pleasure,
Ain't it all a blimmin' shame.
Working class or middle class roots on 21:06 - Jul 13 with 847 viewsnumptydumpty

Working class or middle class roots on 19:57 - Jul 13 by Sonofpugwash

I've done it all me life

All we had in my day was bread and gravy !!

We ate cardboard, we did ....

But you begin to realise you,starting to get older yourself when you start saying things like it wasn't like this in my day.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024