Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? 13:18 - Jun 6 with 7967 viewsG_Ottershaw

Looking at its alleged capabilities, can't help thinking in years to come it could take away alot of administrative roles. As long as it can tell you how it has arrived at a decision, the positives and the negatives - then i guess it would just need someone at the end of the chain to say 're-evaluate' or 'verified' ?
ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 19:26 - Jun 7 with 2287 viewsbaz_qpr

I think the interesting thing is that large companies like mine have offshored a whole load of admin, finance, design tech config etc to the Philippines at the expense of junior roles. What I think is clear is those jobs are the ones that will go. Anything task related that is done on a computer will be gone, a lot of graphic design, cad design 3d modelling etc.

However you still need Humans to have creative ideas, make decisions / judgement calls and interact with other humans and of course train the AI and edit the results as well as do physical jobs Productivity should go through the roof

I think ultimately we are going to have to look at universal basic income, shortened working weeks and how society is organised otherwise the rich will get even richer and there will be many many more have nots.

The irony is that many many counties are moving towards Authoritarinism and frankly with a change like this going on that's the last type of government you are going to want
ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 21:03 - Jun 7 with 2238 viewsloftupper

The Stuart Russell Reith lectures from a year or so ago are well worth a listen on this.

I find it massively useful, used it to write initial drafts of tech specs, rca's and policy docs. Don't get to code much any more but many in the dev teams use it to sniff out smelly code.

As to the earlier point about the quality of code it produces, I've never met an engineer yet who doesn't think most code not written by them needs refactoring
ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 10:27 - Jun 15 with 2058 viewsGaryT

My sons roll their eyes whenever I say "back in my day we didn't have the internet" but I now follow that up with "Just you wait, one day you'll be saying "Before AI, and your kids will be rolling their optical scanning devices".

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. In 1996 the first thing I searched for on the internet was QPR and a whole new world opened up to me but that also ushered in a world of computer viruses and hackers.

We now live in a world where your identity can be wiped, power stations can be shut down and financial markets crash on the spread of a rumour and all by the press of a button. That's with today's technologies, combine ChatGPT and quantum computing and then...well, we'll see.

Like the internet, the good side of AI will be what we see first and Claude will be an upstanding citizen with good morals and impeccable character but eventually, after a few beers, Claude's inner Dan will show himself and then...well, we'll see.

[Post edited 15 Jun 2023 11:03]
ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 10:55 - Jun 15 with 2012 viewsSonofpugwash

Who's your daddy?

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/jun/14/synthetic-human-embryos-created-

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 09:04 - Jul 4 with 1816 viewsBluce_Ree

My wife had to do some sort of software accreditation thing for work. So she used ChatGPT by typing in all the questions. It passed the assessment test for her.

So that's good I guess.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 09:41 - Jul 4 with 1772 viewsFDC

Some interesting integration of AI with MRI, identifying speech from brain scanning

With regards to the risks, when you hear people who are genuinely worried it is pretty alarming, without really being able to evaluate how seriously we should take it. The inevitable military deployment of AI is definitely scary, especially when you consider the networked nature of this technology. An example I heard went along the lines of "what if we instruct an AI to help us solve XYZ problem, and the AI decides the best solution is to eradicate mankind"...

Something I hadn't considered until hearing a podcast fairly recently was the potential for AI to manifest things IRL, via e.g. 3D printing, or even the transmission of genetic code
[Post edited 4 Jul 2023 9:44]
ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 10:06 - Jul 4 with 1745 viewsRangersDave

If anyone can tell me what good will come of this, i'd be grateful.

Learning stuff by itself? right / wrong? why it needs us? who pays our mortgages when we are redundant? then why, should AI need us at all to complete its 'work'?

Is AI capable of programming itself? if so why? If so, when? if so, what are the infestations found all over the planet?

Does it need to run planes? does it heed to run electric cars? trains? boats? no? why not? because the human infestations have been purged from the planet.

Ok ok, while not totally serious, unless fixed checks and balances are in place and there is a plug you can literally pull to take control back, then it truly is scary stuff.

Plus this shy te is accelerating in cleverness.

Skynet is a thing!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 12:38 - Jul 4 with 1671 viewsQPunkR

IMO AI is potentially the biggest threat to humanity. And the very fact that the very people who have been involved in creating the technology are saying the same thing is mind-numbingly scary. Especially the fact that there are different AI models being brought out in different warring economies (US, Europe, China) - meaning there's a race on for each to get their tech out first, which is surely leading to fewer checks and balances, and even less thinking about the possible repercussions.

I genuinely don't understand the singleminded drive to AI. What are the advantages compared to the risks? The only advantages I can see is basically timesaving. While on the other hand, the very least bad thing that can happen is that a massive portion of the world's remaining workers are made obsolete. It genuinely frightens me, easier not to think about it.

QPR - "shit but local"

Login to get fewer ads

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 12:49 - Jul 4 with 1648 viewsRangersDave

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 12:38 - Jul 4 by QPunkR

IMO AI is potentially the biggest threat to humanity. And the very fact that the very people who have been involved in creating the technology are saying the same thing is mind-numbingly scary. Especially the fact that there are different AI models being brought out in different warring economies (US, Europe, China) - meaning there's a race on for each to get their tech out first, which is surely leading to fewer checks and balances, and even less thinking about the possible repercussions.

I genuinely don't understand the singleminded drive to AI. What are the advantages compared to the risks? The only advantages I can see is basically timesaving. While on the other hand, the very least bad thing that can happen is that a massive portion of the world's remaining workers are made obsolete. It genuinely frightens me, easier not to think about it.

Money mate,

Big corporations wanting more and more and more.....while paying less and less.

Staff being laid off, mass unemployment, growing AI, staff being laid off etc etc

So we go broke, machines run everything ( look up 'loyal wingman' for a glimpse), self drive cars, machines following your move, social engineering, facial recognition, rewards for turning right, not left, given as credits by a computer you'll never see.

The speed of AI growth is the scary thing, and unchecked, or regulated (how can you regulate something that acts faster than you can and that does, and will, be able to decicion make, itself?)

The end is nigh, but do we go off blindly into the night?
[Post edited 4 Jul 2023 13:09]

Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 13:05 - Jul 4 with 1622 viewsSheffieldHoop

I find it interesting how we're so ready to believe an AI language model can replace humans in office environments any day now......but talk about automating the trains on here, so that our Clive can get to Wigan away without an overnight stop in Crewe, and you get called a conspiracy theorist.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 13:07 - Jul 4 with 1623 viewsrobith

It will be very interesting to see who the political establishment choses when the forces of capital start culling middle class jobs for AI
ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 13:22 - Jul 4 with 1589 viewsloftupper

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 13:05 - Jul 4 by SheffieldHoop

I find it interesting how we're so ready to believe an AI language model can replace humans in office environments any day now......but talk about automating the trains on here, so that our Clive can get to Wigan away without an overnight stop in Crewe, and you get called a conspiracy theorist.

I thought the root of that dispute was the removal of the conductor rather than the driver. The main opposition to that was that it left trains unsupervised and as such made people especially women feel less safe.

With regards to AI, its very difficult to stop once its been invented, far better to try to work on the positives of it rather than focus on the negatives.

Can see many code monkeys being put out of work, especially those doing menial coding jobs. Which is probably a good thing having seen the standard of what they produce in the Uk
ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 13:35 - Jul 4 with 1567 viewsSimonJames

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 09:04 - Jul 4 by Bluce_Ree

My wife had to do some sort of software accreditation thing for work. So she used ChatGPT by typing in all the questions. It passed the assessment test for her.

So that's good I guess.

It also passed the American Bar Association exam with a score that would put it in the top 10% of lawyers in the US.
(Less lawyers in the world can't be a bad thing )

100% of people who drink water will die.

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 15:19 - Jul 4 with 1517 viewsSheffieldHoop

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 13:22 - Jul 4 by loftupper

I thought the root of that dispute was the removal of the conductor rather than the driver. The main opposition to that was that it left trains unsupervised and as such made people especially women feel less safe.

With regards to AI, its very difficult to stop once its been invented, far better to try to work on the positives of it rather than focus on the negatives.

Can see many code monkeys being put out of work, especially those doing menial coding jobs. Which is probably a good thing having seen the standard of what they produce in the Uk

Not sure it was mate. Even if you automate the driving and continue to staff the conductor end, you're still making a huge saving while also improving safety and reliability. Its a no-brainer, has been for years, but we won't get on with it because of powerful trade unions & fear around automation.

I agree that there is no stopping AI. You have to adapt to/with it - Opting out won't do anybody any favours in the long term.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 15:22 - Jul 4 with 1520 viewsrobith

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 13:35 - Jul 4 by SimonJames

It also passed the American Bar Association exam with a score that would put it in the top 10% of lawyers in the US.

Blockchain is going to obliterate the legal profession in the next 20-30 years imo. All contracts will become digital IFTT ledgers
ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 18:12 - Jul 4 with 1464 viewsSimonJames

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 15:22 - Jul 4 by robith

Blockchain is going to obliterate the legal profession in the next 20-30 years imo. All contracts will become digital IFTT ledgers

I don't know much about the subject, but surely that only applies to things like Commercial Law?
And I imagine there'll be a whole new requirement for lawyers to defend against governments trying to regulate or prevent blockchain participation.

100% of people who drink water will die.

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 13:08 - Jul 5 with 1357 viewsMatch82

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 13:35 - Jul 4 by SimonJames

I'd imagine a more likely scenario than lawyers is judges? Which brings up the possibility that AI, having been accredited to practice law, may in the future be in charge of ruling on a case that involves whether AI is too powerful/pervasive. What could go wrong?

Though it does beg the question how AI will do that. Presumably a very literal interpretation of the law as written.
ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 15:21 - Jul 5 with 1307 viewsRangersDave

I think Bill said it best......

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 16:03 - Jul 5 with 1296 viewsPaddyhoops

We’re getting to the point where we don’t have think for our self’s anymore.
Everything delievered , Sat navs tell us where to go .
Watch any celebrity Quiz show now and the thickest people on it are the younger generation.
Clueless mainly due to the fact that, if you want to know something, just google it . In one ear , out the other.
watch the film Wall E . It’s where we’re heading.
ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 17:00 - Jul 5 with 1246 viewsBostonR

The genie is out of the bottle.
What concerns me, is what is not being shared, in terms of advancement in AI. I recall reading a few years ago, that Elon Musk and the brains behind Deep Mind had developed a tool to predict the future. They used the application to test newspaper headlines and it was incredibly accurate. So accurate they have placed that technology back in the vault.
It has scary military potential, particularly on first-strike options and decoding global military options.
ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 07:20 - Jul 6 with 1197 viewsGroveR

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 10:27 - Jun 15 by GaryT

My sons roll their eyes whenever I say "back in my day we didn't have the internet" but I now follow that up with "Just you wait, one day you'll be saying "Before AI, and your kids will be rolling their optical scanning devices".

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. In 1996 the first thing I searched for on the internet was QPR and a whole new world opened up to me but that also ushered in a world of computer viruses and hackers.

We now live in a world where your identity can be wiped, power stations can be shut down and financial markets crash on the spread of a rumour and all by the press of a button. That's with today's technologies, combine ChatGPT and quantum computing and then...well, we'll see.

Like the internet, the good side of AI will be what we see first and Claude will be an upstanding citizen with good morals and impeccable character but eventually, after a few beers, Claude's inner Dan will show himself and then...well, we'll see.

[Post edited 15 Jun 2023 11:03]

"In 1996 the first thing I searched for on the internet was QPR and a whole new world opened up to me"

Same here, only my fingers slipped when typing QPR

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 09:55 - Jul 7 with 1112 viewsQPunkR

Link below to a change.org petition on the subject:
https://www.change.org/p/artificial-intelligence-time-is-running-out-for-respons

And also a cheery little piece titled 'Five ways AI might destroy the world'
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/jul/07/five-ways-ai-might-destroy-th

QPR - "shit but local"

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 16:16 - Jul 7 with 1002 viewsRangersDave

ChatGPT/AI - a gimmick or a game changer ? on 09:55 - Jul 7 by QPunkR

Link below to a change.org petition on the subject:
https://www.change.org/p/artificial-intelligence-time-is-running-out-for-respons

And also a cheery little piece titled 'Five ways AI might destroy the world'
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/jul/07/five-ways-ai-might-destroy-th

Simple really......

Artificial intelligence will evolve, and like V'ger (for you star trek fans) will eventually become self aware and see us as mere infestations getting in their way.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024