Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Henderson on facebook 11:59 - Jun 20 with 40053 viewsjudd

To find out my 7 1/2 year association with AFC Rochdale was coming to an end via social media was a shock to say the least. I only received an email yesterday morning confirming that the offer the club had previously made to extend my contract was being retracted and I was therefore being released. I am not just shocked but unbelievably upset and disappointed to have found this out in this manner. It was always my intention to try and stay at Rochdale and make it to my testimonial year and try and become the all time top scorer of the football club.

I had been in negotiations with the football club, for some time, regarding an extension prior to the covid-19 pandemic but if I am honest the lines of communication were extremely inconsistent to say the least. I was not trying to ask for more money than what the club was offering and we ended up at a stand-off over some minor details. The negotiations became protracted and it became clear I was not being told the full truth. I would have thought with all that I have given to this football club over those 7 1/2 years would have meant I would have been treated with a level of respect, the same level of respect I have always shown them.

Anyway, unfortunately I will now be leaving a football club, so dear to mine and my family’s heart, but not in the way I had dreamed and envisioned it ending.

Finally I would like to thank the incredible supporters who I have always had such a special relationship and affinity with and I hope I have brought some happiness and joy to you throughout my time with the football club. I can leave knowing I left all that I could give out there on the football pitch and with my head held high. I am big enough to take things on the chin and one thing this current pandemic has shown us all is life is too short and precious and therefore I will not hold a grudge. Up the Dale.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 21:39 - Jun 20 with 1853 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 21:35 - Jun 20 by foreverhopefulDale

Cheers for that, so it should have least been a phone call or even a video call .

If you are putting someone out of work then you would think so, yes.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 21:45 - Jun 20 with 1829 viewsVivaDonaldo

Ian Henderson on facebook on 21:32 - Jun 20 by Jamest1994

It's not a case of Henderson running out of time to sign the deal, that would never happen. He'd probably be put on a rolling contract and then either of the parties would make the decision to cancel the contract. He'd be well aware of the deadline anyway.

A few players had offers but they'd likely not been given the chance to sign the deals with the club delaying them due to the current situation and then taking the offers away.

Hendos not the only one. Camps, MJ and Alby were also negotiating but told they were off yesterday.

Why, in this climate, would you pay a player who is effectively on holiday on a month by month deal?

The same player would still have every opportunity to speak to other suitors? Only strengthens the player/ agents hand.

Club with no incomings paying that kind of money per month in the hope that the player takes the deal that's been on the table for at least the last six months?

Now that would be bad financial management by the club!

A players deal ends at the end of June, if they don't renew they're generally released, even in the best of times.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 21:50 - Jun 20 with 1807 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 21:45 - Jun 20 by VivaDonaldo

Why, in this climate, would you pay a player who is effectively on holiday on a month by month deal?

The same player would still have every opportunity to speak to other suitors? Only strengthens the player/ agents hand.

Club with no incomings paying that kind of money per month in the hope that the player takes the deal that's been on the table for at least the last six months?

A players deal ends at the end of June, if they don't renew they're generally released, even in the best of times.

I wonder how much was borrowed from RMBC in order to cover cash flow?

It appears there was no revised (lower) offer made to Hendo, ergo he was not wanted.

Then not told in a respectful manner.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 21:56 - Jun 20 with 1790 viewsJamest1994

Ian Henderson on facebook on 21:45 - Jun 20 by VivaDonaldo

I get that if the contract is up they are effectively released. But I doubt the players have been given the opportunity to sign those deals on the table from 6 months ago, negotiations had been put off since the virus.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:00 - Jun 20 with 1765 viewsVivaDonaldo

Ian Henderson on facebook on 21:50 - Jun 20 by judd

I wonder how much was borrowed from RMBC in order to cover cash flow?

It appears there was no revised (lower) offer made to Hendo, ergo he was not wanted.

Then not told in a respectful manner.

It would seem from Hendo's own words that the contract offer remained on the table, Long after any borrowed monies from RMBC, so to draw comparison between the two or suggest the club should have offered less is seemingly wide of the mark. Hendo should've accepted the clubs best offer while it was there.

The respectful manner bit, I will wait and see what the club have to say before deciding on.

I still believe that Hendo is being a little ecomonical with the truth here and knew more than he's letting on.

I can see though that we're not going to get the full picture on this until we hear more from either side, if we ever do.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:07 - Jun 20 with 1743 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:00 - Jun 20 by VivaDonaldo

It would seem from Hendo's own words that the contract offer remained on the table, Long after any borrowed monies from RMBC, so to draw comparison between the two or suggest the club should have offered less is seemingly wide of the mark. Hendo should've accepted the clubs best offer while it was there.

The respectful manner bit, I will wait and see what the club have to say before deciding on.

I still believe that Hendo is being a little ecomonical with the truth here and knew more than he's letting on.

I can see though that we're not going to get the full picture on this until we hear more from either side, if we ever do.

The lines of communication were extremely inconsistent are his actual words.

My question 're loans refers to the ability to pay.

My suggestion 're a revised lower offer is based on the club having the upper hand at this time.

Saying Hendo should have accepted the offer is being clever after the event.

I have to ask why Hendo would make the statement as he did without being able to prove it.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:08 - Jun 20 with 1741 viewsjonahwhereru

Ian Henderson on facebook on 20:15 - Jun 20 by BigDaveMyCock

Backer or layer? Can I just enjoy the scene and music?
I’ll do cuddles, that’s it though.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2020 20:17]

Sorry BDMC your comment has gone straight over my head, I don’t get your drift.

Put it this way I reckon no more than 15 more appearances would be enough for him to pass RJ’s record, and that chances of him returning to do it are not that remote. He may well end up seeing the record as unfinished business
Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:10 - Jun 20 with 1726 viewsShun

I’d be intrigued whether the fee spent on Henderson’s contract would’ve been more or less than the amount it’ll cost us to drop from League One to Two, because I hope nobody at the club is under the illusion that’s not where we’re going.
Login to get fewer ads

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:12 - Jun 20 with 1721 viewsseasidedale

Did DB say the loan was to pay for the pitch and the ticketing/turnstile system/instillation
Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:14 - Jun 20 with 1709 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:10 - Jun 20 by Shun

I’d be intrigued whether the fee spent on Henderson’s contract would’ve been more or less than the amount it’ll cost us to drop from League One to Two, because I hope nobody at the club is under the illusion that’s not where we’re going.

I was doing the same maths a while ago.

We flirt with relegation for 3 consecutive seasons and then get rid of our only consistent goal scorer.

And most creative midfielder.

Almost 20 years service between them.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:16 - Jun 20 with 1700 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:12 - Jun 20 by seasidedale

Did DB say the loan was to pay for the pitch and the ticketing/turnstile system/instillation

I don't remember what he said it was for but we'd be mad to pay for a pitch in full before it's been properly tested and proven.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:19 - Jun 20 with 1684 viewsfunkkk

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:10 - Jun 20 by Shun

Yeah, this is the thing. If it boils down to the club not budging on a 2 year deal it's shortsighted in the extreme.

What player can RAFC realistically sign who will give us as much chance of staying in the division over the next couple of years?
Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:19 - Jun 20 with 1676 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:19 - Jun 20 by funkkk

Yeah, this is the thing. If it boils down to the club not budging on a 2 year deal it's shortsighted in the extreme.

What player can RAFC realistically sign who will give us as much chance of staying in the division over the next couple of years?

Hendo. He's a free agent.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:24 - Jun 20 with 1656 views56years

To me he had the opportunity to sign a contract, held out for better terms, then Covid came along and all new deals for players in League 1 will look very different in the future.
He is a skilled user of social media and knows exactly what impact his statement it will have. To me as you said on a previous post ‘the club have dodged a bullet’, and clearly he is sore about it. If he was that keen to sign he would have signed ages ago. He clearly planned on taking Reg’s record in the last few matches of the season and then one last big payday with a move elsewhere.
All of a sudden the bird in the hand looks a lot better than the two in the bush.........
Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:24 - Jun 20 with 1655 viewsfunkkk

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:19 - Jun 20 by judd

Hendo. He's a free agent.

We can but hope. I'll buy some of that herbal life shite off him if it'll help.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:26 - Jun 20 with 1641 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:24 - Jun 20 by funkkk

We can but hope. I'll buy some of that herbal life shite off him if it'll help.

Herbal lives don't matter

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:28 - Jun 20 with 1633 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:24 - Jun 20 by 56years

To me he had the opportunity to sign a contract, held out for better terms, then Covid came along and all new deals for players in League 1 will look very different in the future.
He is a skilled user of social media and knows exactly what impact his statement it will have. To me as you said on a previous post ‘the club have dodged a bullet’, and clearly he is sore about it. If he was that keen to sign he would have signed ages ago. He clearly planned on taking Reg’s record in the last few matches of the season and then one last big payday with a move elsewhere.
All of a sudden the bird in the hand looks a lot better than the two in the bush.........

Should he have been phoned up/skyped/zoomed/ invited in to the club?

Yes or no?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:29 - Jun 20 with 1625 viewsfunkkk

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:24 - Jun 20 by 56years

Why do we hold footballers to account differently to everyone else? Henderson isn't a millionaire and his next contract is likely to be his last, why shouldn't he hold out for the best deal he can get? Whether he truly wanted to stay I guess we'll never know but it seems clear to me the club have acted poorly.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2020 23:06]
Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:45 - Jun 20 with 1569 views56years

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:28 - Jun 20 by judd

Should he have been phoned up/skyped/zoomed/ invited in to the club?

Yes or no?

They have been talking for months, how long do you need to decide?
You may prefer to know one side of the story............
Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:47 - Jun 20 with 1560 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:45 - Jun 20 by 56years

They have been talking for months, how long do you need to decide?
You may prefer to know one side of the story............

Can you not answer the simple question?

I've given you the choices and they are really short words.

Yes or no?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:47 - Jun 20 with 1559 viewsJamest1994

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:29 - Jun 20 by funkkk

Why do we hold footballers to account differently to everyone else? Henderson isn't a millionaire and his next contract is likely to be his last, why shouldn't he hold out for the best deal he can get? Whether he truly wanted to stay I guess we'll never know but it seems clear to me the club have acted poorly.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2020 23:06]

Yeah, most players at this level wait until the end of the season at to renew their deals, nothing wrong with that.

Sounds to me like Henderson was hoping negotiations would resume but found out by email yesterday he was being released. Not sure he's done much wrong here.

Club have retracted deals for camps and alby too. Understandable when they dont know when next season will be starting, but their statement yesterday made it sound like hendo had decided not to stay when that doesnt look to be the case.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:54 - Jun 20 with 1535 viewsDalenet

I don't get the communication shite. Are we really thinking that the coaches and manager haven't been talking to the players since March? Of course they have because until 10 days ago we still needed to be ready to complete a season. Did BBM know? Did he make the decision? Surely it is his job to tell players. This didn't need to be a shock. Nobody should be getting an email until after they have been spoken to by the manager. Shocking behaviour
Ian Henderson on facebook on 23:00 - Jun 20 with 1515 viewsfitzochris

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:54 - Jun 20 by Dalenet

I don't get the communication shite. Are we really thinking that the coaches and manager haven't been talking to the players since March? Of course they have because until 10 days ago we still needed to be ready to complete a season. Did BBM know? Did he make the decision? Surely it is his job to tell players. This didn't need to be a shock. Nobody should be getting an email until after they have been spoken to by the manager. Shocking behaviour

The players, management and board members have had regular Zoom meetings.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Ian Henderson on facebook on 23:04 - Jun 20 with 1504 viewsVivaDonaldo

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:47 - Jun 20 by judd

Yes or no?

I think any reasonable person would say yes.

Whether Hendo is telling the whole truth here is another matter that will hopefully be clarified in the coming days.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 23:06 - Jun 20 with 1488 views56years

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:47 - Jun 20 by judd

Yes or no?

I never answer questions until I know the full facts, perhaps you should try it?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024