Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Half a century! 09:41 - Aug 9 with 11370 viewsEllDale

Was anyone else on here at Spotland on Saturday August 10th 1968?
There isn’t a link to a recording unfortunately but 50 years ago our first promotion campaign started with a 3-2 win over Scunthorpe.
Seven new players in the team, strangely enough they were numbers one to seven on the teamsheet; new kit as well as Dale wore blue shirts, white shorts and white socks with two hoops around the calf. We’d spent weekday evenings during that summer painting the ground blue and white in what would be these days be classed as a rebrand.
Admission was half a crown (12.5p) and a programme 6d (2.5p).
I was 14 at the time and vividly remember standing outside the ground the day before with my newly acquired autograph book.
When training had finished Steve Melledew took my book and made sure that everyone signed it, including Bob Stokoe. I still have the book but don’t know if it’s worth anything or not.
But to me it’s priceless.
Half a century! on 21:32 - Aug 15 with 2992 viewsfinberty

Half a century! on 23:06 - Aug 14 by pioneer

the flogging by united was in 67-68 season. We drew with them at Spotland and the replay at OT was 1-0 to united when it was abandoned because of fog. When the game was played agin we got flogged 7-0 by the following United team

Rimmer, Brennan, Kopel, Murphy, Edwards, Watson, Ryan, Gowling, Herd, Sartori, Gill.

Some big names in that line up, Brennan played in the European Cup final later that season.

At that time Collins was experimenting with playing Reg at Centre half. Quite a match up, David Herd v Reg.

Gowling as in Alan Gowling, right hand man of the tedious Jack Dearden, on MateyBolton FM?
Half a century! on 08:33 - Aug 16 with 2942 viewspioneer

Half a century! on 21:32 - Aug 15 by finberty

Gowling as in Alan Gowling, right hand man of the tedious Jack Dearden, on MateyBolton FM?

Yes, played for newcastle and huddersfield later and possibly others ( Stockport?)
Half a century! on 11:10 - Aug 16 with 2908 viewsmingthemerciless

Half a century! on 08:33 - Aug 16 by pioneer

Yes, played for newcastle and huddersfield later and possibly others ( Stockport?)

Gowling was a good hard working player in his day. Target man style centre forward.
They had some good players in that team.
Jimmy Rimmer later became a top class goalie with Villa I think.
Sean Brennan was a European Cup winner.
Frank Kopel went to Blackburn for good money. He sadly died very recently.
Paul Edwards had a good spell in the first team.
Jimmy Ryan was a poor man's George Best and played for the first team.
David Herd was a Scottish international and played for years in the Utd first team.
Carlo Sartori was a first team player for a while and later played in Italy.

No disgrace getting leathered by them.

I seem to recall that the Dale manager blew his top after that defeat and one or two never played for the club again.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2018 11:19]
Half a century! on 13:45 - Aug 17 with 2848 viewsColDale

Half a century! on 11:10 - Aug 16 by mingthemerciless

Gowling was a good hard working player in his day. Target man style centre forward.
They had some good players in that team.
Jimmy Rimmer later became a top class goalie with Villa I think.
Sean Brennan was a European Cup winner.
Frank Kopel went to Blackburn for good money. He sadly died very recently.
Paul Edwards had a good spell in the first team.
Jimmy Ryan was a poor man's George Best and played for the first team.
David Herd was a Scottish international and played for years in the Utd first team.
Carlo Sartori was a first team player for a while and later played in Italy.

No disgrace getting leathered by them.

I seem to recall that the Dale manager blew his top after that defeat and one or two never played for the club again.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2018 11:19]

Sartori lives local and I think goes to St Vincent's Church

As an aside, found this today
http://www.weareresource.co.uk/70-up-for-graham/
Half a century! on 13:59 - Aug 17 with 2839 viewsD_Alien

Half a century! on 13:45 - Aug 17 by ColDale

Sartori lives local and I think goes to St Vincent's Church

As an aside, found this today
http://www.weareresource.co.uk/70-up-for-graham/

Good find!

Smith was one of the most versatile footballers ever to play for Dale, and that was back in an era when players "knew their positions". He went on to hold the 'most games' record until Gary Jones came along and i don't recall him ever putting in a poor performance

He'd be a dream member of a Keith Hill squad...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Half a century! on 14:20 - Aug 17 with 2831 viewsEllDale

He certainly was versatile.
I think that I'm right in saying that he played in the back four and midfield and also had a spell (albeit short and unsuccessful) upfront.

Back to that United side, didn't Jimmy Ryan have a long spell as part of the management team at Old Trafford after retiring?
Half a century! on 21:49 - Aug 17 with 2790 viewsTVOS1907

Half a century! on 23:22 - Aug 14 by pioneer

I think Jenkins got injured when Melling was brought in. They were selected together upfront for the first time at the end of the dire run of results referred to above. They started the swansea game before Christmas and then went on a tear scoring 9 goals in the next 5 games between them (including a hat trick each). Then Melling was shipped out. It was the red hot form of the partnership that led many fans to be surprised at Melling being sold. Litle were we to know Tony Buck was on the way.

Melling was a similar build to Jenkins, big stocky lad with a big backside.

The penalty you refer to was against Bradford PA I think ....but it was scored by Billy Rudd , not Butler. Butler did take penalties in other games that season.

Coincidentally, I'm just writing up this game for the series in TVOS.

Steven Phillipps' book has Rudd as the penalty taker (this was the fifth goal), but the Observer match report and the English National Football Archive 9i.e. the authority on such matters) has it as Butler.

The Observer describes Rudd's goals as a 15th minute chip over Hardie and an 88th minute volley after Whitehead and Butler had worked a corner kick.

Given I was a few weeks from being born, I'll have to trust Geoff Whitworth's words on this one.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2018 21:49]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Half a century! on 00:12 - Aug 18 with 2749 viewsmingthemerciless

Half a century! on 13:59 - Aug 17 by D_Alien

Good find!

Smith was one of the most versatile footballers ever to play for Dale, and that was back in an era when players "knew their positions". He went on to hold the 'most games' record until Gary Jones came along and i don't recall him ever putting in a poor performance

He'd be a dream member of a Keith Hill squad...

Smithy was very good right back and a decent stand in centre back. He had pace, was good in the tackle and in the air, he distributed the ball well also. Smith and Ryder were as good a full back pairing as I've seen at Spotland although Milburn and Winton were pretty handy also.
Login to get fewer ads

Half a century! on 13:24 - Sep 7 with 2607 viewsEllDale

Just to prove that some things don't change.....
Fifty years ago tomorrow we drew 1-1 at home with Peterborough with Melledew (almost inevitably at that time) scoring the Dale goal.
What I remember is that Dale peppered the Posh goal with shots for most of the game......but just couldn't hit the target.
Then came the sucker punch when Peterborough broke away and scored.....
Half a century! on 22:56 - Sep 7 with 2485 viewssoulboy

Half a century! on 13:24 - Sep 7 by EllDale

Just to prove that some things don't change.....
Fifty years ago tomorrow we drew 1-1 at home with Peterborough with Melledew (almost inevitably at that time) scoring the Dale goal.
What I remember is that Dale peppered the Posh goal with shots for most of the game......but just couldn't hit the target.
Then came the sucker punch when Peterborough broke away and scored.....

I may be wrong, but i think Peterborough had been de-moted from Div 3 where they had finished in a decent position, due to financial irregularites, so a draw may not have been a bad result.
Half a century! on 23:02 - Sep 7 with 2480 viewsTVOS1907

Half a century! on 22:56 - Sep 7 by soulboy

I may be wrong, but i think Peterborough had been de-moted from Div 3 where they had finished in a decent position, due to financial irregularites, so a draw may not have been a bad result.

No, you're right.

Posh actually finished 1967/68 in ninth place in Division Three, but were still relegated for the reason you mention.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Half a century! on 13:58 - Oct 5 with 2303 viewsEllDale

By my reckoning (and I've been known to be wrong!) it's 50 years to the day since Bob Stokoe resigned to go to Carlisle.
Good career move? You would have to say so, given the fact that he was lifting the FA Cup five years later.
Just a shame about his second spell in 1980.
Half a century! on 15:02 - Oct 5 with 2265 viewsD_Alien

Half a century! on 13:58 - Oct 5 by EllDale

By my reckoning (and I've been known to be wrong!) it's 50 years to the day since Bob Stokoe resigned to go to Carlisle.
Good career move? You would have to say so, given the fact that he was lifting the FA Cup five years later.
Just a shame about his second spell in 1980.

Was it really so early in the season? Not questioning it, just surprised, but it worked out well for both parties although it didn't feel like that at the time

I remember my dad saying "well, that's burst the bubble" and i replied "let's wait and see", ever the optimist

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Half a century! on 17:18 - Oct 5 with 2219 viewsSheffdale

Half a century! on 15:02 - Oct 5 by D_Alien

Was it really so early in the season? Not questioning it, just surprised, but it worked out well for both parties although it didn't feel like that at the time

I remember my dad saying "well, that's burst the bubble" and i replied "let's wait and see", ever the optimist

Stokoe left 1 October according to Wiki but it was very much his team that won promotion. I suspect he was quite ruthless in getting rid of dead wood - his sacking of Brian Eastham in Feb of 68 showed that side - and signings such as Leech and Rudd proved pivotal. 8 new signings in all over the close season. Good youth team as well that year in which David Cross was making his mark.
Half a century! on 13:05 - Oct 6 with 2132 viewsEllDale

The flashback feature on the official site seems to indicate that we played Workington on Saturday 5th October 1968 and that Stokoe had left the day before.
Be that as it may.
I suppose we have to remember that news was slower to break in that non-digital era.
He could have left on October 1st but no-one knew until four days later!
In those days the Observer was the main means of gleaning information.
Half a century! on 13:35 - Oct 7 with 2031 viewsspikey58

Back then, the Football League used to give out monthly awards for the best behaved supporters in each division. We won the Div 4 award for September, with Workington second. Inevitably, this resulted in a scrap on the car park behind the main stand after the game. I could appreciate the sense of irony, even though I was only ten years old at the time 😁
Half a century! on 07:51 - Oct 8 with 1970 viewsEllDale

I remember the previous season that the FA had ordered us to post warning notices around the ground after missiles had been through at a visiting keeper.

I think that it was "Sunshine" who kicked off the ruck in the carpark.
Half a century! on 15:55 - Oct 9 with 1875 viewssoulboy

Half a century! on 13:35 - Oct 7 by spikey58

Back then, the Football League used to give out monthly awards for the best behaved supporters in each division. We won the Div 4 award for September, with Workington second. Inevitably, this resulted in a scrap on the car park behind the main stand after the game. I could appreciate the sense of irony, even though I was only ten years old at the time 😁

I saw us play at Workington a couple of times in the mid 70s, their supporters in those days wouldnt have won any good behaviuor awards, out of the crowd of under 1500 each time, many of them were itching for a fight! One occasion in particular was so bad even the Football Pink mentioned it in the match report.
Half a century! on 12:21 - Mar 2 with 1589 viewsEllDale

Sorry for reviving this thread but there's a good article on the official site going back 50 years.
I just remember it being a really good time for professional sport in the town.
Dale drew 0-0 at Scunthorpe on 1st March 1969 and were to mount a sustained promotion bid after the arrival of Tony Buck.
Hornets meanwhile went to Wakefield in the quarter final of the challenge cup on the same Saturday and drew 10-10 against the team who were the current RL champions.
They lost in the replay at the Athletic Grounds but there were over 15000 there that night.
Half a century! on 14:09 - Mar 2 with 1527 viewsmingthemerciless

Half a century! on 12:21 - Mar 2 by EllDale

Sorry for reviving this thread but there's a good article on the official site going back 50 years.
I just remember it being a really good time for professional sport in the town.
Dale drew 0-0 at Scunthorpe on 1st March 1969 and were to mount a sustained promotion bid after the arrival of Tony Buck.
Hornets meanwhile went to Wakefield in the quarter final of the challenge cup on the same Saturday and drew 10-10 against the team who were the current RL champions.
They lost in the replay at the Athletic Grounds but there were over 15000 there that night.

I didn't go to the Wakefield away game but my pal did. He reckoned that Hornets kicked a goal right at the death to win the game but the touch judges flagged it out. He was behind the posts and he thought it was in.
Wakefield had played a load of games in a short period of time and offered the Hornets board money to move the game to give their players more of a break. I think they had played on the Tuesday and Thursday before the Saturday Hornets game. Hornets board accepted their offer but then had to back down after the players threatened to go on strike !
Wakey were winning 10-0 at one point but ran out of steam towards the end.

The crowd for the replay was the biggest I ever saw at the old Athletic Grounds but most went home disappointed. I saw it quoted at 18,000 in one paper. Wakefield had had a good rest and they murdered Hornets, we were never in it right from the kick off. They were just too big, too fast, too fit. Near the end they ran the ball on the right wing off their own line and about 6 seconds and 10 passes later they were scoring in the corner with the scorer having two supporting players out side him. I still say that Wakefield team were as good as any club side I've seen in Rugby League.

I was watching both teams then but I didn't travel to Scunthorpe. The promotion push was just starting to gain momentum and the long suffering fans of the Dale were just starting to believe the dream. The arrival of Buck was a catalyst, he gave us an ingredient that was missing before his arrival. Big Reg was a handful playing right up up front but it wasn't his best position. Mellodew caused opponents plenty of problems but he wasn't as quick and lethal in front of goal as Buck.
Half a century! on 14:36 - Mar 2 with 1483 viewsSheffdale

Half a century! on 14:09 - Mar 2 by mingthemerciless

I didn't go to the Wakefield away game but my pal did. He reckoned that Hornets kicked a goal right at the death to win the game but the touch judges flagged it out. He was behind the posts and he thought it was in.
Wakefield had played a load of games in a short period of time and offered the Hornets board money to move the game to give their players more of a break. I think they had played on the Tuesday and Thursday before the Saturday Hornets game. Hornets board accepted their offer but then had to back down after the players threatened to go on strike !
Wakey were winning 10-0 at one point but ran out of steam towards the end.

The crowd for the replay was the biggest I ever saw at the old Athletic Grounds but most went home disappointed. I saw it quoted at 18,000 in one paper. Wakefield had had a good rest and they murdered Hornets, we were never in it right from the kick off. They were just too big, too fast, too fit. Near the end they ran the ball on the right wing off their own line and about 6 seconds and 10 passes later they were scoring in the corner with the scorer having two supporting players out side him. I still say that Wakefield team were as good as any club side I've seen in Rugby League.

I was watching both teams then but I didn't travel to Scunthorpe. The promotion push was just starting to gain momentum and the long suffering fans of the Dale were just starting to believe the dream. The arrival of Buck was a catalyst, he gave us an ingredient that was missing before his arrival. Big Reg was a handful playing right up up front but it wasn't his best position. Mellodew caused opponents plenty of problems but he wasn't as quick and lethal in front of goal as Buck.

I interviewed Steve Melledew recently for TVOS and he was in good form, lots of happy memories of Whipp and Bourne, Firgrove Rec and his time at Spotland. The only home grown member of the squad as most will recall and a great performance in the following season's pre-season friendly with Everton earned him that transfer to Merseyside.
Half a century! on 18:26 - Mar 2 with 1390 viewsmingthemerciless

Half a century! on 14:36 - Mar 2 by Sheffdale

I interviewed Steve Melledew recently for TVOS and he was in good form, lots of happy memories of Whipp and Bourne, Firgrove Rec and his time at Spotland. The only home grown member of the squad as most will recall and a great performance in the following season's pre-season friendly with Everton earned him that transfer to Merseyside.

I played against him a few times and on the same Sunday team once or twice when he " guested " for us when we were younger. That game against Everton he had the game of a lifetime. He was up against Brian Labone who was England's centre half at the time and John Hurst who was the England U-23 sweeper and he ran them dizzy.
Happy days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024