Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The House Of Lords 18:54 - Mar 7 with 2909 viewsrock1n

Just proved why we need them, these people have the intelligence and experience.

You need a revising chamber, hopefully this will help derail Brexsh1t.

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

The House Of Lords on 19:07 - Mar 7 with 1907 viewssherpajacob

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The House Of Lords on 19:14 - Mar 7 with 1891 viewspikeypaul

IT will not change a thing.

We are coming out so take your head out of the sand.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2017 19:14]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

The House Of Lords on 19:17 - Mar 7 with 1872 viewsPrivate_Partz

Only delaying the inevitable I think but if it keeps the b@stards on their toes to actually try and get some sort of deal out of this complete mess then it has to be good news.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The House Of Lords on 19:20 - Mar 7 with 1855 viewsHighjack

Only thing the House of Lords will achieve from this and that is the abolition of the House of Lords.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The House Of Lords on 19:20 - Mar 7 with 1855 viewsJack_Kass

The electorate didn't appoint them, and the commons will just ignore them anyway.

What a waste of time and money.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

The House Of Lords on 19:25 - Mar 7 with 1835 viewsrock1n

The House Of Lords on 19:20 - Mar 7 by Highjack

Only thing the House of Lords will achieve from this and that is the abolition of the House of Lords.

That's fascism right there

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

The House Of Lords on 19:53 - Mar 7 with 1805 viewsblueytheblue

The House Of Lords on 19:25 - Mar 7 by rock1n

Nah, modernisation.

Recognition of the fact unelected Lords like Shami have no part in a modern, forward facing democracy.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

The House Of Lords on 19:58 - Mar 7 with 1785 viewsmorningstar

The House Of Lords on 19:25 - Mar 7 by rock1n

You do realise how backward that statement is don't you?

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Login to get fewer ads

The House Of Lords on 20:08 - Mar 7 with 1750 viewsexiledclaseboy

I'm experiencing cognitive dissonance. I'm glad the Lords is holding the government to account because someone needs to be doing that. The opposition certainly isn't capable of it. But the unelected second chamber shouldn't and won't be allowed to override the will of the elected Commons. The bill will go back to the Commons which will wipe out the amendments and the Lords will probably pass it unamended next time. And the government will be allowed to continue on its merry but ultimately clueless path.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2017 20:22]

Poll: Tory leader

The House Of Lords on 20:20 - Mar 7 with 1715 viewsKilkennyjack

Well done the Lords.
Still needs to be abolished for an elected second chamber though.

Corbyn - you useless clown, they are doing your job. Resign man.

Beware of the Risen People

The House Of Lords on 20:24 - Mar 7 with 1702 viewsmorningstar

The House Of Lords on 20:08 - Mar 7 by exiledclaseboy

I'm experiencing cognitive dissonance. I'm glad the Lords is holding the government to account because someone needs to be doing that. The opposition certainly isn't capable of it. But the unelected second chamber shouldn't and won't be allowed to override the will of the elected Commons. The bill will go back to the Commons which will wipe out the amendments and the Lords will probably pass it unamended next time. And the government will be allowed to continue on its merry but ultimately clueless path.

What path do you suggest they go down in fairness?

The House Of Lords on 20:33 - Mar 7 with 1683 viewsexiledclaseboy

The House Of Lords on 20:24 - Mar 7 by morningstar

What path do you suggest they go down in fairness?

I'd suggest not rushing into invoking article 50 until the government is sure of at least what it wants to ask for out if the exit agreements and what its absolute minimums are. There's no rush. I'm not suggesting we should ignore the result of the referendum and stay in the EU but this issue will dominate politics for a generation and the implications will be felt far into the future. There should be absolutely no headlong rush into this without having all the ducks in a row first. At the moment the timings are based purely on election timetables. Invoke by March 2017, leave by March 2019 with an election barely a year later when it'll still be far too early to measure the effects of leaving (whether they end up being good or bad).

The House Of Lords on 20:35 - Mar 7 with 1670 viewsPrivate_Partz

The House Of Lords on 20:08 - Mar 7 by exiledclaseboy

I agree it is a clueless path. I just wish there was not so much fighting talk from May. It needs to be remembered that all we are doing is trying to deliver what was decided in a very dodgy referendum that had little backing in the House.
Despite not agreeing with it the majority of Parliament for their various reason are prepared to go along with the result.
Against this background a bit of a bridge building stance would be much better than veiled threats and what i call sabre rattling.
If we come out if this with no Trade Deal we will be in even bigger trouble than we are now.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The House Of Lords on 20:59 - Mar 7 with 1639 viewsmorningstar

The House Of Lords on 20:33 - Mar 7 by exiledclaseboy

I'd suggest not rushing into invoking article 50 until the government is sure of at least what it wants to ask for out if the exit agreements and what its absolute minimums are. There's no rush. I'm not suggesting we should ignore the result of the referendum and stay in the EU but this issue will dominate politics for a generation and the implications will be felt far into the future. There should be absolutely no headlong rush into this without having all the ducks in a row first. At the moment the timings are based purely on election timetables. Invoke by March 2017, leave by March 2019 with an election barely a year later when it'll still be far too early to measure the effects of leaving (whether they end up being good or bad).

The ducks will never be in a row. Anybody with any sense knows that including you. There is only one sensible conclusion to all of this. The electorate fvcked up, and they should be given an opportunity to put it right.

The House Of Lords on 21:01 - Mar 7 with 1635 viewsexiledclaseboy

The House Of Lords on 20:59 - Mar 7 by morningstar

The ducks will never be in a row. Anybody with any sense knows that including you. There is only one sensible conclusion to all of this. The electorate fvcked up, and they should be given an opportunity to put it right.

I wouldn't argue with that last bit. Don't agree with the first. It can be done properly but it'll take years. Decades probably.

The House Of Lords on 21:15 - Mar 7 with 1617 viewsLeonWasGod

The House Of Lords on 20:20 - Mar 7 by Kilkennyjack

Well done the Lords.
Still needs to be abolished for an elected second chamber though.

Corbyn - you useless clown, they are doing your job. Resign man.

I don't see why it needs to be elected. It should be comprised of a cross section of experts / practitioners from various fields who are able to bring greater scrutiny to legislation before it's passed. If it's elected you'd just get a popularity contest like you do for the Commons and it would unecessarilly politicise it more and increase costs. I doubt people would be interested enough to vote either.

I'd cut numbers, scrap life peerages and introduce a term-based system instead, and overhaul the way lords are chosen (to cut out jobs for the boys). But I'd be more than happy with a panel decision of new lords based on their experience and merit.
The House Of Lords on 21:15 - Mar 7 with 1617 viewsmorningstar

The House Of Lords on 21:01 - Mar 7 by exiledclaseboy

I wouldn't argue with that last bit. Don't agree with the first. It can be done properly but it'll take years. Decades probably.

You can't use decades as a political barometer.

The House Of Lords on 21:22 - Mar 7 with 1603 viewsexiledclaseboy

The House Of Lords on 21:15 - Mar 7 by morningstar

You can't use decades as a political barometer.

Why not? It took decades to join.

The House Of Lords on 21:25 - Mar 7 with 1590 viewsmorningstar

The House Of Lords on 21:22 - Mar 7 by exiledclaseboy

Why not? It took decades to join.

And a day too leave!

Note: I know nothing about politics so disagreeing with me is like arguing with your wife. you lose.

The House Of Lords on 21:31 - Mar 7 with 1582 viewsexiledclaseboy

The House Of Lords on 21:25 - Mar 7 by morningstar

And a day too leave!

Note: I know nothing about politics so disagreeing with me is like arguing with your wife. you lose.

Yeah it's not like I'm new tonthis forum lark.

The House Of Lords on 21:32 - Mar 7 with 1578 viewspikeypaul

The sooner it's done the better for everyone.

The lords has cut its own throat by going against democracy and the will of the people and will be punished.Its not as if any fecker is going to take any notice anyway.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

The House Of Lords on 21:38 - Mar 7 with 1563 viewsmorningstar

The House Of Lords on 21:32 - Mar 7 by pikeypaul

The lords has cut its own throat by going against democracy and the will of the people and will be punished.Its not as if any fecker is going to take any notice anyway.

Was it/is it the will of the people? Taking into account of course that a pretty sizeable percentage of the electorate who voted to leave have been hugely misled?

The House Of Lords on 21:49 - Mar 7 with 1547 viewsBigPhilG

The House Of Lords on 21:38 - Mar 7 by morningstar

Was it/is it the will of the people? Taking into account of course that a pretty sizeable percentage of the electorate who voted to leave have been hugely misled?

Only remainers say that. I don't know anyone who believes they were misled or changed their minds, that goes for people voting either way.

Personally I voted by making my own mind up, don't feel I was misled, haven't changed my mind and have no regrets
The House Of Lords on 22:00 - Mar 7 with 1532 viewssherpajacob

The House Of Lords on 21:32 - Mar 7 by pikeypaul

"Yes, I know, but in this instance the people are wrong. As their elected leader it is my job to show them that. -" Nelson Mandela.

This is how real leaders and statesmen behave.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The House Of Lords on 22:07 - Mar 7 with 1520 viewsPrivate_Partz

Good for you. Most I have spoken to have all had different reasons for voting leave. Some nothing to do with Europe. Examples. A Man Utd supporter who wanted to get back to Dad''s Army day's. My son in law who thought there were no longer enough British selling the Big Issue. The old guy on the telly crying tears of joy because we were no longer run by the Germans. The valley folk voting out when they are one of the main deprived areas benefitting from EU membership. Stoke 70% voted to leave yet they still won't vote a UKIP MP in. Etc etc. Not scientific I know but it does not half make me think.......

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024