Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
June 25, 1950 02:55 - Jun 25 with 1204 viewsDavillin

64 years ago today, 25 June 1950, North Korea attacked South Korea and, faced with a weak and disorganized defense, drove almost all the way to the port of Pusan, where a do-or-die defense held them until help could arrive.

My family paid a heavy personal price for that defense, and the war is still not over.

Sometimes I wonder if the North Koreans are trying to break the record of the Hundred Years War.

And for what? Political ideology and "saving face."

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

June 25, 1950 on 03:48 - Jun 25 with 868 viewscontroversial_jack

The Korean war wasn't one of Americas finest efforts
June 25, 1950 on 10:30 - Jun 25 with 804 viewsperchrockjack

but its still North Korea being the aggressor as they ve always been

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

June 25, 1950 on 10:42 - Jun 25 with 788 viewsJackoBoostardo

There is only one person who can allow peace, but due to a purely selfish pride, he will not request a peace which in turn may allow his country to receive much needed supplies/provisions/aid.

Yet when he dies, the leadership lineage will pass to his equally mental son or family member, and so on.

It's a crazy situation and nobody has to admit a loss. Until then... this continues to happen

[Post edited 25 Jun 2014 12:26]

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

June 25, 1950 on 11:16 - Jun 25 with 783 viewstrolley_jack

It is always for political ideology, with the sanctions imposed on North Korea they are cornered animal. People starving there closed off from most the world and suspicious of there own citizens so there not likely to negotiate anytime soon. If it was a pro capitalist dictatorship with something to offer the USA I fear they would be less concerned.
June 25, 1950 on 15:04 - Jun 25 with 746 viewscontroversial_jack

June 25, 1950 on 10:30 - Jun 25 by perchrockjack

but its still North Korea being the aggressor as they ve always been

Who have North Korea attacked lately?
June 25, 1950 on 16:14 - Jun 25 with 730 viewsDavillin

June 25, 1950 on 03:48 - Jun 25 by controversial_jack

American History again.

The object of the U.S. and the U.N. was to drive North Korea back to the pre-war line, and the U.N. forces accomplished that.

The people who consider the war "not one of America's finest efforts" are those who believe the arch-self-praising Dugout Doug MacArthur, whose stupid idea it was to go to the Yalu and beyond and to use nuclear weapons against China. The only way to have stopped him was to fire his egomaniacal ass, which Harry Truman did, to his eternal credit for preventing a major war with China and, no doubt, the world.

The people with that notion also do not have any idea about the military [and political] situation in Korea on June 25th. I do. You have a lifetime of study to catch up.

June 25, 1950 on 16:16 - Jun 25 with 728 viewsDarran

June 25, 1950 on 15:04 - Jun 25 by controversial_jack

Seriously you sound like a right pr*ck.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

June 25, 1950 on 16:24 - Jun 25 with 723 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

June 25, 1950 on 15:04 - Jun 25 by controversial_jack

Did they not kill a number of civilians on a South Korean island with a missile strike or something similar?

And aren't they the prime suspect of sinking a South Korean ship not so long ago?

I could be wrong, these are just faint memories of reading something months or years ago.

I just had a look, this was taken from Wikipedia, the sources seem reliable;

March 26, 2010: A South Korean naval vessel, the ROKS Cheonan, was allegedly sunk by a North Korean torpedo near Baengnyeong Island in the Yellow Sea. A rescue operation recovered 58 survivors but 46 sailors were killed. On May 20, 2010, a South Korean led international investigation group concluded that the sinking of the warship was in fact the result of a North Korean torpedo attack.[15][16] North Korea denied involvement.[17] The United Nations Security Council made a Presidential Statement condemning the attack but without identifying the attacker.[18]

November 23, 2010: North Korea fired artillery at South Korea's Greater Yeonpyeong island in the Yellow Sea and South Korea returned fire. Two South Korean marines and two South Korean civilians were killed, six were seriously wounded, and ten were treated for minor injuries. Approximately seventy South Korean houses were destroyed.[19][20][21] North Korean casualties were unknown, but Lee Hong-gi, the Director of Operations of the South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS), claimed that as a result of the South Korean retaliation "there may be a considerable number of North Korean casualties".[22]

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Login to get fewer ads

June 25, 1950 on 16:29 - Jun 25 with 720 viewsDavillin

June 25, 1950 on 11:16 - Jun 25 by trolley_jack

It is always for political ideology, with the sanctions imposed on North Korea they are cornered animal. People starving there closed off from most the world and suspicious of there own citizens so there not likely to negotiate anytime soon. If it was a pro capitalist dictatorship with something to offer the USA I fear they would be less concerned.

Not everyone in North Korea is starving.

Look at photos. Civilians and the military rank-and-file are skinny as rakes, but the big wigs -- military and political -- are almost all tubbies.

Read some of the reports over the years about how the elite pamper themselves in every conceivable way, and then you may feel doubly sorry for the people.

Some believe that if North Korea would spend just some of the money they spend on their military and armaments -- especially nuclear and nuclear delivery -- on food and other comforts of life for the people, the situation would improve greatly.

June 25, 1950 on 04:36 - Jun 26 with 664 viewscontroversial_jack

June 25, 1950 on 16:24 - Jun 25 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Did they not kill a number of civilians on a South Korean island with a missile strike or something similar?

And aren't they the prime suspect of sinking a South Korean ship not so long ago?

I could be wrong, these are just faint memories of reading something months or years ago.

I just had a look, this was taken from Wikipedia, the sources seem reliable;

March 26, 2010: A South Korean naval vessel, the ROKS Cheonan, was allegedly sunk by a North Korean torpedo near Baengnyeong Island in the Yellow Sea. A rescue operation recovered 58 survivors but 46 sailors were killed. On May 20, 2010, a South Korean led international investigation group concluded that the sinking of the warship was in fact the result of a North Korean torpedo attack.[15][16] North Korea denied involvement.[17] The United Nations Security Council made a Presidential Statement condemning the attack but without identifying the attacker.[18]

November 23, 2010: North Korea fired artillery at South Korea's Greater Yeonpyeong island in the Yellow Sea and South Korea returned fire. Two South Korean marines and two South Korean civilians were killed, six were seriously wounded, and ten were treated for minor injuries. Approximately seventy South Korean houses were destroyed.[19][20][21] North Korean casualties were unknown, but Lee Hong-gi, the Director of Operations of the South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS), claimed that as a result of the South Korean retaliation "there may be a considerable number of North Korean casualties".[22]

That ship was probably sunk by an old mine, the pics at the time seemed to back this up. The area concerned is in a disputed area where ships from both sides have been damaged.

The South backed up by US marines trained in urban warfare often hold huge military exercises close to the border despite objections from the North that this is provocative.

The North and South go at each other tit for tat, but as far am I'm aware the North hasn't attacked any other Nation militarily, unlike some others I could mention.
June 25, 1950 on 06:36 - Jun 26 with 649 viewsepaul

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-28014069

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

June 25, 1950 on 06:56 - Jun 26 with 644 viewscontroversial_jack

June 25, 1950 on 06:36 - Jun 26 by epaul

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-28014069

A certain country trying to stir the shit again?
June 25, 1950 on 08:22 - Jun 26 with 629 viewsJackoBoostardo

June 25, 1950 on 03:48 - Jun 25 by controversial_jack

Or Britain..or, the UN including pretty much every country in Europe. Or the ones we were fighting against including China and Russia.

If you knew what you were talking about, instead of just posting comments 'just to be contreversial', then you'd realise so soon after WW2 the world was not ready for this, many died and this very nearly ended up being much worse!

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

June 25, 1950 on 09:09 - Jun 26 with 623 viewscontroversial_jack

June 25, 1950 on 08:22 - Jun 26 by JackoBoostardo

Or Britain..or, the UN including pretty much every country in Europe. Or the ones we were fighting against including China and Russia.

If you knew what you were talking about, instead of just posting comments 'just to be contreversial', then you'd realise so soon after WW2 the world was not ready for this, many died and this very nearly ended up being much worse!

Although it was a multinational conflict , US troops were in the majority and it was seen as an American affair. I think Britain sent a brigade at most

It nearly ended up being much worse? I'm sure that would have made the 2.5 million dead and wounded civilians feel a lot better
June 25, 1950 on 10:33 - Jun 26 with 590 viewsJackoBoostardo

June 25, 1950 on 09:09 - Jun 26 by controversial_jack

Although it was a multinational conflict , US troops were in the majority and it was seen as an American affair. I think Britain sent a brigade at most

It nearly ended up being much worse? I'm sure that would have made the 2.5 million dead and wounded civilians feel a lot better

Approximately 14,198 British soldiers took part in the Korean war.

And could have been worse? Absolutely! You see, Russia and China had just got started - After only a small amount of their soldiers had crossed the border, the allies were pushed back from the North to the centre line of Korea. The Chinese had sent over 1 millions soldiers over the borders!

Additionally, you seem to forget that this could have escalated further - meaning, yes! It could have got much worse!

The war is not over - it's simply at a stalemate. No declaration of peace has ever been signed following the war. This is still a very tense ceasefire.

You may want to do a little research on the Korean War. The fact that you've resorted to sarcasm in your last paragraph indicates you need to know more.

June 25, 1950 on 11:12 - Jun 26 with 582 viewscontroversial_jack

June 25, 1950 on 10:33 - Jun 26 by JackoBoostardo

Approximately 14,198 British soldiers took part in the Korean war.

And could have been worse? Absolutely! You see, Russia and China had just got started - After only a small amount of their soldiers had crossed the border, the allies were pushed back from the North to the centre line of Korea. The Chinese had sent over 1 millions soldiers over the borders!

Additionally, you seem to forget that this could have escalated further - meaning, yes! It could have got much worse!

The war is not over - it's simply at a stalemate. No declaration of peace has ever been signed following the war. This is still a very tense ceasefire.

You may want to do a little research on the Korean War. The fact that you've resorted to sarcasm in your last paragraph indicates you need to know more.

It was North Korean troops that pushed the Americans back not Chinese, almost 200 miles I believe. The US army was the army of occupation of Japan. They were very soft and badly trained after the easy life in Japan and suffered really badly because of it. Entire units dropped their weapons and ran when faced with the North Koreans. The term bug out comes from these events. Things changed later when the US marines landed, but as I stated earlier it wasn't one of Americas finest moments
June 25, 1950 on 12:05 - Jun 26 with 569 viewsJackoBoostardo

June 25, 1950 on 11:12 - Jun 26 by controversial_jack

It was North Korean troops that pushed the Americans back not Chinese, almost 200 miles I believe. The US army was the army of occupation of Japan. They were very soft and badly trained after the easy life in Japan and suffered really badly because of it. Entire units dropped their weapons and ran when faced with the North Koreans. The term bug out comes from these events. Things changed later when the US marines landed, but as I stated earlier it wasn't one of Americas finest moments

Wow... you really don't know what you're talking about do you!

Here's a start for you if you won't take it from myself:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_War

Outmaneuvered and suffering heavy casualties in the first two months of the conflict, South Korean forces were forced back to the Pusan perimeter. Twenty-one countries of the United Nations contributed to the defense of South Korea, with the United States providing 88% of the soldiers. An amphibious U.N. counter-offensive at Inchon was launched which cut off many of the North Korean attackers. Those that escaped envelopment and capture were forced back north all the way to the Yalu River at the Korea-China border, or into the mountainous interior. At this point Chinese forces crossed over the Yalu and entered the war on the side of North Korea.[33] Chinese intervention rapidly forced the United Nations Command back into South Korea, and the last two years of the war saw stalemate and attrition warfare. The fighting ended on 27 July 1953, when the armistice agreement was signed. The agreement established a new border between the Koreas close to the previous one and created the Korean Demilitarized Zone (DMZ), a 2.5-mile (4.0 km)-wide fortified buffer zone between them. Border incidents have continued to the present.

Please can you stop posting if you have no idea what you're talking about.

And the term 'Bug Out' whilst popularised in the Korean War, originated before this war.

It is believed the term originated as a result of the way bugs scatter in different directions when interferred - such as when a human walks through a bug gathering.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2014 13:13]

June 25, 1950 on 12:46 - Jun 26 with 549 viewstrolley_jack

June 25, 1950 on 16:29 - Jun 25 by Davillin

Not everyone in North Korea is starving.

Look at photos. Civilians and the military rank-and-file are skinny as rakes, but the big wigs -- military and political -- are almost all tubbies.

Read some of the reports over the years about how the elite pamper themselves in every conceivable way, and then you may feel doubly sorry for the people.

Some believe that if North Korea would spend just some of the money they spend on their military and armaments -- especially nuclear and nuclear delivery -- on food and other comforts of life for the people, the situation would improve greatly.

The same goes for most countries in that sense, the US could give everyone of it's citizens top class medical care and help it's countless homeless and people living in poverty if it cut back on its military and nuclear armaments. Problem is it disturbs the balance of capitalism where you need poor for the rich to prevail.

After the top dogs take there slice in North Korea there is not much left for the rest because there wasn't too much to start with. My original point was that the West are friendly to certain authoritarian states such as Saudi Arabia and China (who also played a part in the Korean war) and friendly because they offer the west something. If North Korea had a plentiful supply of some mineral or such that the west wanted I suppose we would fear them slightly less.

The west need to offer a hand to North Korea instead of isolating it further. NK has nuclear armaments and there obviously not giving them up without a fight but every time talks are held there is a prerequisite that they halt all Nuclear and ballistic missile tests which they refuse and we are back to square one. Surely it is better to be in dialogue with a Nuclear state than not though.
June 25, 1950 on 13:48 - Jun 26 with 526 viewsDavillin

June 25, 1950 on 12:05 - Jun 26 by JackoBoostardo

Outmaneuvered and suffering heavy casualties in the first two months of the conflict, South Korean forces were forced back to the Pusan perimeter. Twenty-one countries of the United Nations contributed to the defense of South Korea, with the United States providing 88% of the soldiers. An amphibious U.N. counter-offensive at Inchon was launched which cut off many of the North Korean attackers. Those that escaped envelopment and capture were forced back north all the way to the Yalu River at the Korea-China border, or into the mountainous interior. At this point Chinese forces crossed over the Yalu and entered the war on the side of North Korea.[33] Chinese intervention rapidly forced the United Nations Command back into South Korea, and the last two years of the war saw stalemate and attrition warfare. The fighting ended on 27 July 1953, when the armistice agreement was signed. The agreement established a new border between the Koreas close to the previous one and created the Korean Demilitarized Zone (DMZ), a 2.5-mile (4.0 km)-wide fortified buffer zone between them. Border incidents have continued to the present.

And the term 'Bug Out' whilst popularised in the Korean War, originated before this war.

It is believed the term originated as a result of the way bugs scatter in different directions when interferred - such as when a human walks through a bug gathering.

Thanks for straightening it out [in this post and your previous one]. Saved me the effort and aggravation, and you did well. But sadly there is no future in trying to correct someone who has embraced the lie.

June 25, 1950 on 13:50 - Jun 26 with 522 viewsJackoBoostardo

June 25, 1950 on 13:48 - Jun 26 by Davillin

Thanks for straightening it out [in this post and your previous one]. Saved me the effort and aggravation, and you did well. But sadly there is no future in trying to correct someone who has embraced the lie.

I'm pretty naive (or dumb) enough to actually think I could educate or straighten out some of the so-called 'Aficionado's of Knowledge'.

My head hurts and my wall is very much full of dents.

June 25, 1950 on 13:56 - Jun 26 with 516 viewsDavillin

June 25, 1950 on 13:50 - Jun 26 by JackoBoostardo

I'm pretty naive (or dumb) enough to actually think I could educate or straighten out some of the so-called 'Aficionado's of Knowledge'.

My head hurts and my wall is very much full of dents.

Credit for trying, anyway, thanks.

p.s. Spare you walls even if you don't care about your head. [I should not talk. I once put a 6" hole in a wall (plasterboard) with my head. Didn't make any difference, but it definitely shut everyone up and made me feel good]

June 25, 1950 on 14:03 - Jun 26 with 511 viewsJackoBoostardo

June 25, 1950 on 13:56 - Jun 26 by Davillin

Credit for trying, anyway, thanks.

p.s. Spare you walls even if you don't care about your head. [I should not talk. I once put a 6" hole in a wall (plasterboard) with my head. Didn't make any difference, but it definitely shut everyone up and made me feel good]

The hole in your wall the result of posting something else on this site by any chance?

Here's a video some here may find interesting.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x209eho_north-korean-troops-take-aim-at-targets

STORY: North Korea's state-run television KRT on Wednesday (June 25) aired a video of soldiers conducting firing drills against targets depicting the United States, as the two Koreas commemorate the 64th anniversary of Korean War.

KRT showed North Korean soldiers firing live ammunition at targets with caricatures U.S. soldiers. However, it did not specify the date and location of the drills.

Earlier in the day, North Korean people held a mass rally in Pyongyang while chanting anti-U.S. slogans.

It's a very much outdated military as you can tell by their Takeshi Castle style uniforms and older rifles with fancy silver paint jobs. Now the North Korean military appear to he solely used for the purposes of propaganda (that come out to play when Kim Jong-un has a tantrum and wants public attention outside of his own borders).

Although they do have a giant army, their outdated techniques, equipment and poor training doesn't make them as intimidating, as the prospect of a further war where Russia and China possibly become involved again.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2014 14:29]

June 25, 1950 on 16:49 - Jun 26 with 474 viewscontroversial_jack

June 25, 1950 on 12:05 - Jun 26 by JackoBoostardo

You took your info from Wikipedia.I rest my case
June 25, 1950 on 17:15 - Jun 26 with 465 viewsDavillin

June 25, 1950 on 16:49 - Jun 26 by controversial_jack

You took your info from Wikipedia.I rest my case

But he cited his source, which makes all the difference in the world.

June 25, 1950 on 17:37 - Jun 26 with 460 viewscontroversial_jack

June 25, 1950 on 17:15 - Jun 26 by Davillin

But he cited his source, which makes all the difference in the world.

Mine came from reading books from the local library a while ago. The title and author of which escapes me right now
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024