Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players we should have got rid - way before we did 14:45 - May 12 with 5096 viewsnumptydumpty

On similar topic as one staring who we should have kept, who did we hang onto way too long

I suspect this list will be way longer than the ones we should have kept

Appreciate contract lengths, wages, sale prices etc mean more difficult at times to get rid !!!

First on, I would have off loaded one particular player who had a realistic chance of getting rid to receive a fee and sellable on similar or better contract elsewhere.

Stand up Mr Joey Barton !!!

Was at QPR for four seasons, one on loan but a bad egg, creating even more dysfunction at a bad time to be a QPR fan.

Unbelievably divisive character and not nearly as good as he himself believed himself to be !!!
[Post edited 12 May 14:49]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 13:56 - May 14 with 1685 viewsTheChef

Borrowdale was awful but didn't think he hung around for too long.

I wouldn't bracket him with Ramage and Ephraim - both decent honest pros, maybe not the most talented, but always gave 100%.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 14:15 - May 14 with 1622 viewsnick_hammersmith

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 13:35 - May 14 by SheffieldHoop

Yeah because Samba Diakite and Jermaine Jenas would have got us up that season, wouldn't they?

I was highly cynical of Barton at the time - Of course I was, I read this website - But with hindsight I really don't think was anywhere near as bad as people make out

I completely forget about Jenas, lets move him to the top of the list.
Primarily for his work recently on The One Show
Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 15:32 - May 14 with 1541 viewsSheffieldHoop

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 13:56 - May 14 by TheChef

Borrowdale was awful but didn't think he hung around for too long.

I wouldn't bracket him with Ramage and Ephraim - both decent honest pros, maybe not the most talented, but always gave 100%.

Borrowdale seemed to hang around for ages I thought, for a player we paid decent money for and barely ever saw

Ephraim and Ramage were both fine, but Ephraim got several deals while not playing and Ramage got a new deal following promotion in 2011 but wasn't playing much and I can't recall him playing in the prem

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 15:44 - May 14 with 1531 viewsJeff

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 15:32 - May 14 by SheffieldHoop

Borrowdale seemed to hang around for ages I thought, for a player we paid decent money for and barely ever saw

Ephraim and Ramage were both fine, but Ephraim got several deals while not playing and Ramage got a new deal following promotion in 2011 but wasn't playing much and I can't recall him playing in the prem

Borrowdale was an odd one - he signed on loan from Coventry (i want to say during Sousa's reign?) but never played for us, and then clearly there was an obligation / option out of our hands to make the deal permanent as he then signed a long term contract in the January? and we then loaned him out all over the shop.

I remember the club putting out a fairly terse one line statement at the time to the effect of 'Borrowdale has signed a 4 year contact' and that was it

Can we not knock it?

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 15:50 - May 14 with 1496 viewsNorthernr

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 15:44 - May 14 by Jeff

Borrowdale was an odd one - he signed on loan from Coventry (i want to say during Sousa's reign?) but never played for us, and then clearly there was an obligation / option out of our hands to make the deal permanent as he then signed a long term contract in the January? and we then loaned him out all over the shop.

I remember the club putting out a fairly terse one line statement at the time to the effect of 'Borrowdale has signed a 4 year contact' and that was it

A distinctly mediocre player who we nevertheless wanted and tried repeatedly to sign over several years and several entirely different managers, then when we finally got him handed him a four year contract and it turned out the manager didn't want him and never picked him, all while Paladini was overseeing the transfers.

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 15:56 - May 14 with 1449 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 15:50 - May 14 by Northernr

A distinctly mediocre player who we nevertheless wanted and tried repeatedly to sign over several years and several entirely different managers, then when we finally got him handed him a four year contract and it turned out the manager didn't want him and never picked him, all while Paladini was overseeing the transfers.

I don't want to give your team of lawyers the twitch, but wasn't the Borrowdale deal cited somewhere as being extremely bent?*
Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 16:22 - May 14 with 1372 viewsBluce_Ree

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 13:35 - May 14 by SheffieldHoop

Yeah because Samba Diakite and Jermaine Jenas would have got us up that season, wouldn't they?

I was highly cynical of Barton at the time - Of course I was, I read this website - But with hindsight I really don't think was anywhere near as bad as people make out

He was a c*nt that got himself sent off when we were somehow beating Man City away though.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 16:38 - May 14 with 1313 viewsAntti_Heinola

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 16:22 - May 14 by Bluce_Ree

He was a c*nt that got himself sent off when we were somehow beating Man City away though.

While I agree with this, I still for the life of me don't understand:

1. Why Barton didn't do what he normally did and simply fall to the ground, pole-axed, to get Tevez sent off.
2. Why Tevez wasn't sent off.
3. Why Tevez wasn't retrospectively banned when it was clear that he had punched Barton in the head.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 17:51 - May 14 with 1216 viewsSheffieldHoop

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 16:38 - May 14 by Antti_Heinola

While I agree with this, I still for the life of me don't understand:

1. Why Barton didn't do what he normally did and simply fall to the ground, pole-axed, to get Tevez sent off.
2. Why Tevez wasn't sent off.
3. Why Tevez wasn't retrospectively banned when it was clear that he had punched Barton in the head.

4. He's got Zamora in his ear offering some unwelcome advice....I'm cool with that Man City incident anyway, I stopped caring about it by the end of that day, so really struggle to get annoyed about it now.

Look, Barton's definitely a bit of a cnt (aren't we all) but I still think he gets a ridiculously bad rap on here, certainly as a footballer. A very good, if not top championship player, for Newcastle, Us and Burnley. Bit shit in the Premier League in a side of dossers, which isn't really his fault IMO. Could he have been a better teammate? Probably. I'm more annoyed with him for the Red vs Norwich, that was an important game and it felt like he threw that one away, silly. And being such a big part of getting rid of Warnock is slightly unforgivable. But he left Burnley with a good rep (Think he even went back after Rangers?) and the type of "Team" players we all loved previously - Derry, Hill, Mackie - Were firmly in Barton's camp. And at some point, Fernandes has to be held accountable for all of it. It was his money. His decisions.

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 19:28 - May 14 with 1150 viewsnumptydumpty

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 17:51 - May 14 by SheffieldHoop

4. He's got Zamora in his ear offering some unwelcome advice....I'm cool with that Man City incident anyway, I stopped caring about it by the end of that day, so really struggle to get annoyed about it now.

Look, Barton's definitely a bit of a cnt (aren't we all) but I still think he gets a ridiculously bad rap on here, certainly as a footballer. A very good, if not top championship player, for Newcastle, Us and Burnley. Bit shit in the Premier League in a side of dossers, which isn't really his fault IMO. Could he have been a better teammate? Probably. I'm more annoyed with him for the Red vs Norwich, that was an important game and it felt like he threw that one away, silly. And being such a big part of getting rid of Warnock is slightly unforgivable. But he left Burnley with a good rep (Think he even went back after Rangers?) and the type of "Team" players we all loved previously - Derry, Hill, Mackie - Were firmly in Barton's camp. And at some point, Fernandes has to be held accountable for all of it. It was his money. His decisions.

The hatred aimed at Barton, I think are for a few reasons

He has said repeatedly we were a small club who he cared for not at all and only obviously came here because we were stupid enough to offer him silly money.

The man has an incredibly high opinion of himself both as a person and as a football player

What he did that day at the Etihad was ridiculous. Yes Tevez should have got sent off, but if Barton had gone down holding his head, perhaps Tevez would have seen red and Joey was the sinned against until he decided for retribution thus endangering our Premier league status simply because he is and always will be a maniac.

He considers himself to be a decent human being despite denigrating random women football players, writing vitriol about random celebrities he does not care for, stubbing a cigar in a youth players eye, jailed for punching a man and a schoolboy 20 times.

He was an average player and yes there were worse players than Barton but he is someone who would be a nightmare neighbour no doubt and in my eyes wish such a dubious character had never had any association with our club.

The thread is about players we wished we had got rid of earlier, the reason doesn't have to be absolutely about just their playing skills.

Most would get rid of Barton because he is an extremely poor example of a decent human being and the evil within that Joey has, if I was a colleague of his, he certainly would not be someone I would wish to go be in the so called trenches with, opinionated, disruptive, violent and nasty. None of which am sure most teams would wish for such a character.

If he left and we had a worse player I am sure I am not alone, but for me that's preferable. Obviously would prefer at least as good, but yep first name for me out the door.

Nasty man who is seriously deluded as to his character, says his most hated time as a footballer was at this basket case of a club that he considered to be well beneath him.

It's not always just about the playing abilities that fans wanted rid of Barton. One man circus
[Post edited 14 May 19:34]

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 19:50 - May 14 with 1108 viewsmart_Goblin

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 19:28 - May 14 by numptydumpty

He has said repeatedly we were a small club who he cared for not at all and only obviously came here because we were stupid enough to offer him silly money.

The man has an incredibly high opinion of himself both as a person and as a football player

What he did that day at the Etihad was ridiculous. Yes Tevez should have got sent off, but if Barton had gone down holding his head, perhaps Tevez would have seen red and Joey was the sinned against until he decided for retribution thus endangering our Premier league status simply because he is and always will be a maniac.

He considers himself to be a decent human being despite denigrating random women football players, writing vitriol about random celebrities he does not care for, stubbing a cigar in a youth players eye, jailed for punching a man and a schoolboy 20 times.

He was an average player and yes there were worse players than Barton but he is someone who would be a nightmare neighbour no doubt and in my eyes wish such a dubious character had never had any association with our club.

The thread is about players we wished we had got rid of earlier, the reason doesn't have to be absolutely about just their playing skills.

Most would get rid of Barton because he is an extremely poor example of a decent human being and the evil within that Joey has, if I was a colleague of his, he certainly would not be someone I would wish to go be in the so called trenches with, opinionated, disruptive, violent and nasty. None of which am sure most teams would wish for such a character.

If he left and we had a worse player I am sure I am not alone, but for me that's preferable. Obviously would prefer at least as good, but yep first name for me out the door.

Nasty man who is seriously deluded as to his character, says his most hated time as a footballer was at this basket case of a club that he considered to be well beneath him.

It's not always just about the playing abilities that fans wanted rid of Barton. One man circus

Yeah agree with most of that .

He’s a thug who happened to be a half decent footballer, who at every chance he gets tells the world what shit club this is .
He might be right .
But it’s our club and I don’t see the club rushing to make him a forever R, do you?

Absolute lemon
Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 20:02 - May 14 with 1092 viewsmart_Goblin

Enough about Barton

Borrowdale sprang to mind when I read the OG title .

Also , and I know this will be unpopular as when I suggested before literally no one agreed with me and that’s ok.
But in 1991 there was players inside the club (mainly youngsters in fairness ) who couldn’t believe Simon Barker was still being picked . 7 or 8 years later he was still there and he wasn’t getting any better
Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 22:44 - May 14 with 1000 viewsSheffieldHoop

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 19:28 - May 14 by numptydumpty

A lot of this stuff also applies to Adel Taarabt. Loved himself. Saw himself as being bigger than QPR. Petulant. Absent. Overweight (allegedly). One man circus (definitely).

I always thought the "He don't pass enough" crowd was wrong about Taarabt, I loved him, I wanted him to start every game at a time people were calling for him to be dropped....Sounds unlikely now, but they did exist. It's partly why he never got our POTY that promotion season despite winning it for the entire Division. I spent a good hour on the train home from Hull that season defending him following his utterly embarrassing antics.

You won't find much hatred aimed his way now. But I'm guessing you were one of the people suggesting we should get rid, and play Ephraim instead?

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 13:17 - May 15 with 833 viewsHoopsie

Barton is similar to Taarabt?

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 14:32 - May 15 with 766 viewsrbee

Niko Hämäläinen all day long, 8 years at the club with 30 appearances. Charlie Kelman will be catching him up before too long.

Trevor Sinclair as well, we clung on to him before getting a lousy deal out of West Ham. I was gutted when Andy Sinton left us in 1993 but Trevor replaced him, a young raw talent from Blackpool. He became a much better player and by the time we played Newcastle at home in 1995, the Sir Les comes home game, Trevor was unplayable. He got called in to the England squad after that and got injured during training. He was out for a while but when he came back his form dipped and we never saw the same player again. We made a mistake keeping hold of him after relegation and I remember an evening home game against Bradford City who had Chris Waddle in their team. Waddle was the best player on the pitch by a country mile and someone in the crowd shouted ''Are you watching Sinclair?''

Karl Ready was ok when he first got in to the team but over the seasons his form steadily dropped.

I will defend Matthew Rose all day long, a quality player who struggled with injuries.

I will also defend Joey Barton, a little. Obviously we should never have signed him and when he came back from Marseille nobody wanted him so we had to keep him and play him. During those last two seasons he was very often our player of the match, forever lunging in blocking efforts on goal. We cannot erase him from our club history but you cannot deny what we saw, the tremendous work ethic at that time.
Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 18:43 - May 15 with 629 viewsnumptydumpty

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 22:44 - May 14 by SheffieldHoop

A lot of this stuff also applies to Adel Taarabt. Loved himself. Saw himself as being bigger than QPR. Petulant. Absent. Overweight (allegedly). One man circus (definitely).

I always thought the "He don't pass enough" crowd was wrong about Taarabt, I loved him, I wanted him to start every game at a time people were calling for him to be dropped....Sounds unlikely now, but they did exist. It's partly why he never got our POTY that promotion season despite winning it for the entire Division. I spent a good hour on the train home from Hull that season defending him following his utterly embarrassing antics.

You won't find much hatred aimed his way now. But I'm guessing you were one of the people suggesting we should get rid, and play Ephraim instead?

Err no. I would not have preferred Ephraim ahead of Taraabt and never said that at the time either

And you thinking because of I would have got rid Barton earlier I would therefore want get rid of Taraabt earlier also.

Why do you say I am personally that type of fan.

I heard fans moaning about Taraabt being lazy and selfish as I heard for Eze also.

Christ knows why you think I would be that type of fan !!

Could never understand supporters that deride our better players. That's madness in my eyes.

Taraabt he was brilliant for a season but yes admittedly he had application issues etc but as far as I know he wasn't like Barton , ie criminal record, violent, nasty amd basically offensive to many.

Taraabt massively achieved for us in one season. Barton was decent occasionally but mostly average.

Yes he was petulant etc and as far as I know talks about our club with fondness as opposed to Barton who ridicules us.

To suggest I would have been calling to get rid of Taraabt simply because I would have got rid of Barton.

Can you explain your logic here ???

The Two players cases are massively at odds with each other....

Strange post !!!
[Post edited 15 May 18:52]

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 19:42 - May 15 with 580 viewsSheffieldHoop

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 18:43 - May 15 by numptydumpty

Err no. I would not have preferred Ephraim ahead of Taraabt and never said that at the time either

And you thinking because of I would have got rid Barton earlier I would therefore want get rid of Taraabt earlier also.

Why do you say I am personally that type of fan.

I heard fans moaning about Taraabt being lazy and selfish as I heard for Eze also.

Christ knows why you think I would be that type of fan !!

Could never understand supporters that deride our better players. That's madness in my eyes.

Taraabt he was brilliant for a season but yes admittedly he had application issues etc but as far as I know he wasn't like Barton , ie criminal record, violent, nasty amd basically offensive to many.

Taraabt massively achieved for us in one season. Barton was decent occasionally but mostly average.

Yes he was petulant etc and as far as I know talks about our club with fondness as opposed to Barton who ridicules us.

To suggest I would have been calling to get rid of Taraabt simply because I would have got rid of Barton.

Can you explain your logic here ???

The Two players cases are massively at odds with each other....

Strange post !!!
[Post edited 15 May 18:52]

Barton Derangement Syndrome

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 20:24 - May 15 with 542 viewsnumptydumpty

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 19:42 - May 15 by SheffieldHoop

Barton Derangement Syndrome

Ooh 😂

Ok you win

Joey Barton was best thing ever for Queens Park Rangers !!

You can believe whatever you wish chap.

If I disagree with your assessment that Barton was a good guy for us, up to you Joey. 😆
[Post edited 15 May 20:25]

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 22:25 - May 15 with 480 viewslassel

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 16:35 - May 12 by essextaxiboy

Nico Hammelainen (sp)
Mido Shadipo
[Post edited 12 May 16:40]

Hamalainen was an odd one as every manager he had here played him, so in training he must’ve shown something for them all to take a punt - as soon as he got on the pitch though he looked completely terrified.
Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 12:58 - May 16 with 312 viewsBrizR

Players we should have got rid - way before we did on 22:25 - May 15 by lassel

Hamalainen was an odd one as every manager he had here played him, so in training he must’ve shown something for them all to take a punt - as soon as he got on the pitch though he looked completely terrified.

Didn't someone at the club tell Clive that directly at one point - every time a new manager joined they'd see this brilliant Niko kid in training and wonder why the idiot before them never played him and then they'd try it and find out for themselves that he was crap?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024