Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sorrento 23:09 - Feb 11 with 1126 viewsHantsR

...or that sort of area? Driving down mid-March and not booked accommodation yet. Anyone got any recommendations/ warnings?
Sorrento on 23:18 - Feb 11 with 1116 viewsted_hendrix

You'll be doing the Amalfi Drive I take it?
Love Italy to death and I booked our flights and car 2nd January as we go to Umbria every year, as for driving over there if you haven't driven before just start the engine and go, and remember don't give way to pedestrians at pedestrian crossings or the bloke in the car behind you will give you an earful or shoot you with his Beretta.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Sorrento on 23:25 - Feb 11 with 1110 viewsBrightonhoop

Never got to go as far as Amalfi but must do sometime. I drove it from Pamplona in northern Spain to central, place called Arezzo. Beautiful night drive, did it with the roof down on an old Saab. The roads get shittier as you go south but apart from that, when in Rome and all that. If you drive in London it's a doddle. Just drive at them.
Return leg I stopped in the Lakes, they're well worth a visit, Como in particular. When you go through the Alps in Switzerland there's some kind of tax as well as road tolls and the tunnels are one laned so long delays in the summer. Stopped in Reims and found a local champagne producer doing it at 10 Euro a bottle, so filled the car u with it.
Be careful in Napoli, I've heard good things and bad so keep your wits about you. And hit the beaches, the women are gorgeous! :-D
Sorrento on 23:30 - Feb 11 with 1105 viewsNorthernr

I saw Adam Czerkas score for QPR there once.
Sorrento on 00:26 - Feb 12 with 1084 viewsBasingstokeR

Stayed in the Grand Hotel Ambasciatori in Sorrento in 2011 which was really nice, its built into the cliff side. While we were there I realised the road behind separated it from the "Stadio Italia" where Sorrento must've played our friendly Clive mentioned; also starring Nick Ward, Armel Tchakounte, Tony Roberts and Alan McDonald in 2006.

If you're going to be driving round the coast towards Amalfi/Positano/Ravello - are you at all good or bad with heights? Sorrento has an easy train ride if you want to go see Pompeii whilst there and Capri was worth a visit on the boat.
Sorrento on 03:21 - Feb 12 with 1069 viewsstowmarketrange

Sorrento on 23:25 - Feb 11 by Brightonhoop

Never got to go as far as Amalfi but must do sometime. I drove it from Pamplona in northern Spain to central, place called Arezzo. Beautiful night drive, did it with the roof down on an old Saab. The roads get shittier as you go south but apart from that, when in Rome and all that. If you drive in London it's a doddle. Just drive at them.
Return leg I stopped in the Lakes, they're well worth a visit, Como in particular. When you go through the Alps in Switzerland there's some kind of tax as well as road tolls and the tunnels are one laned so long delays in the summer. Stopped in Reims and found a local champagne producer doing it at 10 Euro a bottle, so filled the car u with it.
Be careful in Napoli, I've heard good things and bad so keep your wits about you. And hit the beaches, the women are gorgeous! :-D

I've just got back from Naples and I totally agree with you.The traffic is a nightmare and there are no rules about road use.You just shut your eyes put your foot down and go.And dont forget to swerve around the potholes at the last minute.The part we stayed in really was a sh*thole and had nothing good going for it.The people don't smile or seem happy,and you do have to be careful where you go.
It isn't a place I'd rush to get back to,but it might be different outside of the city.
Sorrento on 10:43 - Feb 12 with 1002 viewsBasingstokeR

Napoli I thought was the reverse of most cities in so much that...

In most big cities in Europe Ive been to the main centres are where all the 'attactions' and historic areas are and the council upkeeps these parts well, then you go outwards and find some sh*ttier / more run down areas.

Napoli (when we went there at least) had a lot of the nicer parts and 'attractions' around the outside / suburbs and the centre is pretty crappy. A local told me that at the time Camorra were stopping the local bin-men from emptying any bins so the place was covered in rubbish.
Sorrento on 11:10 - Feb 12 with 992 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Stay in Priano.

Dont recommend drunkenly walking back from Amalfi though, the road walls are tiny (knee height) mostly cliffs and there are no lights... Still not sure how we made it.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Sorrento on 12:16 - Feb 12 with 959 viewsisawqpratwcity

Sorrento on 11:10 - Feb 12 by Metallica_Hoop

Stay in Priano.

Dont recommend drunkenly walking back from Amalfi though, the road walls are tiny (knee height) mostly cliffs and there are no lights... Still not sure how we made it.

You were following the burning red hair of the woman in front.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Login to get fewer ads

Sorrento on 12:21 - Feb 12 with 958 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Sorrento on 12:16 - Feb 12 by isawqpratwcity

You were following the burning red hair of the woman in front.

I was so drunk there were two of them
[Post edited 12 Feb 2014 12:22]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Sorrento on 12:35 - Feb 12 with 935 viewsisawqpratwcity

Sorrento on 12:21 - Feb 12 by Metallica_Hoop

I was so drunk there were two of them
[Post edited 12 Feb 2014 12:22]

You lucky, lucky...

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Sorrento on 12:36 - Feb 12 with 933 viewsJuzzie

I stayed in Sorrento circa 1998. Great place, expensive though but luckily my then girlfriends parents paid for the hotel!

We visited Mount Vesuvius and walked around the rim plus did a trip to Pompeii. Did island trips to Capri and Ischia. The latter has some 360+ natural hot springs/baths. A wondeful afternoon spent getting our bodies all cleansed and taught!

We hired a scooter and rode from Sorrento to Positano along the Amalfi coast. Amazing journey, fooking scary but amazing!

[Post edited 12 Feb 2014 12:37]
Sorrento on 15:57 - Feb 12 with 884 viewsHantsR

Just a quick thanks to all of you. Some useful stuff there - some of which has caused a little trepidation! I've got some idea about Italian driving as I've driven to Tuscany and didn't have too many problems but my estate car is quite long and will probably need careful management when driving and parking. I'll have a good look at that Amalfi run before I try it out.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2014 15:59]
Sorrento on 23:04 - Jun 4 with 668 viewsrrrspricey

Sorrento on 00:26 - Feb 12 by BasingstokeR

Stayed in the Grand Hotel Ambasciatori in Sorrento in 2011 which was really nice, its built into the cliff side. While we were there I realised the road behind separated it from the "Stadio Italia" where Sorrento must've played our friendly Clive mentioned; also starring Nick Ward, Armel Tchakounte, Tony Roberts and Alan McDonald in 2006.

If you're going to be driving round the coast towards Amalfi/Positano/Ravello - are you at all good or bad with heights? Sorrento has an easy train ride if you want to go see Pompeii whilst there and Capri was worth a visit on the boat.

Staying at same hotel. Got a suite with a hot tub on the balcony which overlooks the Bay of Naples and Capricorn, looks amazing.
Sorrento on 23:33 - Jun 4 with 656 viewshopphoops

Near Positano there's a great restaurant to called Da Adolfo. they take you by boat from the quay in positano, you wait at 10am to be picked up and when you arrive you get your sun loungers in this little cove and settle in for a snooze. after an hour or two you wake up to the smell of the fish grilling, slope over for a long and slow and very liquid lunch, then slope back to your lounger to sleep it off. brilliant. you have to go early though, no point going on a later boat just for lunch cos all the loungers have been bagged already.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2015 23:34]

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024