Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City 23:01 - Aug 2 with 18135 viewsGroo

Had to start a new thread to see what the general consensus was on Flynn's time here. Basically this comes from Darran's comments that quite shocked me that he blamed Flynn for our being so close to losing our league position, where as I have always seen Flynn as a saviour who stopped us from going down. The following is how I remember it.

The current board took over the club in 2002 and shortly after we lost Colin Addison as manager, due to financial reasons I believe, I thought he had gone when Petty was still in charge but reading up a bit it appears he went after the buy out.

Nick Cusack was the team captain and well thought of by the fans, the board then made what I feel has been their one and only bad management appointment, they appointed Cusack, initially as caretaker with Freestone and then as full manager.

Nick Cusack had no managerial experience and was thrown in at the deep end to sink or swim. He saw us through to the end of the season with Roger Freestone, where we finished 20th.

We needed to build a team as the squad had been destroyed during the shambles the previous year. Cusack I remember recruited a number of players, some of which came from hastily arranged trial matches. We ended up starting the season with a team made up of the dregs of the football league.

On September 19th 2002, after 9 games Cusack was sacked as manager, we had just 6 points and were bottom of the football league, the team was an absolute shambles.

Brian Flynn was appointed the same day and had the task of saving us from the drop. His starting point was Cusacks squad who were in a rut of losing games, he looked to try and improve the squad and brought in the likes of Leon and Martinez, by the end of October we had doubled our points total to 12 by Jan 1st we had tripled that original points tally to 18 and were still bottom.

As we all know, we eventually survived by the skin of our teeth on the last day of the season.

Darran appears to blame Flynn for this, where as I blame the shambles of a squad put together by Cusack which Flynn inherited.

In his only summer transfer window he brought in the likes of Trundle and Robinson, the following season, rather than being at the foot of the division, we found ourselves at the top end, leading in the early stages. As the season wore on, our position started dropping and rumours of indiscipline and drinking were all about which ended up with Flynn leaving and Jacket replacing him.

That first season in charge though, I believe that Flynn saved us and I feel under most managers we would have gone, the position we were left in by Cusack, who wasn’t equipped to manage the team, and the team we had when Flynn took over, we were only ever going out of the league.

So as asked, am I wrong? Did Flynn not save us? Was it Flynn’s fault we were bottom when we were?

Groo does what Groo does best

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 23:11 - Aug 2 with 9254 viewssmoulder

I agree with that........the team improved every season after Cusack left starting with Flynn, and the following managers....to where we are now.
Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 23:20 - Aug 2 with 9235 viewsEdmundo

Flynn may have started the escape process, but by f*ck, the footballing process started with martinez, no matter who you feck you deluded munchins think it was

[Post edited 2 Aug 2013 23:25]

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 23:22 - Aug 2 with 9220 viewsDarran

We should have been safe long before the last game of the season and would have been if the f*cking manager hadn't have been living in Burnley at the same time.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 23:28 - Aug 2 with 9200 viewsEdmundo

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 23:22 - Aug 2 by Darran

We should have been safe long before the last game of the season and would have been if the f*cking manager hadn't have been living in Burnley at the same time.

Darren, please get over it, Flynn saved u for a rainy day, Martinez took us on, so did Sousa

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 23:43 - Aug 2 with 9169 viewsDarran

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 23:28 - Aug 2 by Edmundo

Darren, please get over it, Flynn saved u for a rainy day, Martinez took us on, so did Sousa

I've got nothing to get over I'm just stating the facts.

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 23:45 - Aug 2 with 9166 viewsEdmundo

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 23:22 - Aug 2 by Darran

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 23:48 - Aug 2 with 9158 viewsDarran

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 23:45 - Aug 2 by Edmundo

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 07:59 - Aug 3 with 9009 viewscockneyswan

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 23:43 - Aug 2 by Darran

The Facts are we stayed in the Football league under Flynn during a very difficult time for the club, and as has already been stated he brought in some very good players :- Lee Trundle, Andy Robinson, Leon Britton, Martinez, & Tate. And at a time when the club was only just getting over the Petty episode. It was unfortunate Bryan Flynn left the way he did, but to "dis" him totally is I believe very unfair.
Login to get fewer ads

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City (n/t) on 08:31 - Aug 3 with 8951 viewscimlajack

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 07:59 - Aug 3 by cockneyswan

The Facts are we stayed in the Football league under Flynn during a very difficult time for the club, and as has already been stated he brought in some very good players :- Lee Trundle, Andy Robinson, Leon Britton, Martinez, & Tate. And at a time when the club was only just getting over the Petty episode. It was unfortunate Bryan Flynn left the way he did, but to "dis" him totally is I believe very unfair.

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:07 - Aug 3 with 8902 viewsDr_Winston

He deserves credit for bringing in the right players to keep us up. He deserves criticism for seemingly having little idea or interest in how to use the ones he inherited (playing Nugent upfront ahead of Thomas being a prime example). Had he used the players he had at his disposal better then it's probable that we would have been safer sooner.

As for the season after, his refusal to do the full time job we were paying him for meant that he had to go if we were going to progress.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:22 - Aug 3 with 8869 viewsSpratty

Yeh but what players the foundation of all we have become
Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:24 - Aug 3 with 8864 viewsDr_Winston

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:22 - Aug 3 by Spratty

Yeh but what players the foundation of all we have become

And it took another manager to turn them into a promotion winning side.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:27 - Aug 3 with 8858 viewssunshinehead

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:07 - Aug 3 by Dr_Winston

He deserves credit for bringing in the right players to keep us up. He deserves criticism for seemingly having little idea or interest in how to use the ones he inherited (playing Nugent upfront ahead of Thomas being a prime example). Had he used the players he had at his disposal better then it's probable that we would have been safer sooner.

As for the season after, his refusal to do the full time job we were paying him for meant that he had to go if we were going to progress.

Flynn achieved what he was brought in to do, for that I will be eternally grateful. It was a fire fighting job and he had no place in charge of the club after that for the reasons Darran stated. If we'd let him treat it as his own personal train set for another season or two we would have been back in the same position again. The writing was on the wall midway through the following season when the euphoria surrounding survival wore off and we went seriously off the boil. As it is his legacy is a good one and reasonably well protected.
Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:29 - Aug 3 with 8843 viewssunshinehead

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:27 - Aug 3 by sunshinehead

Flynn achieved what he was brought in to do, for that I will be eternally grateful. It was a fire fighting job and he had no place in charge of the club after that for the reasons Darran stated. If we'd let him treat it as his own personal train set for another season or two we would have been back in the same position again. The writing was on the wall midway through the following season when the euphoria surrounding survival wore off and we went seriously off the boil. As it is his legacy is a good one and reasonably well protected.

Dunno why I quoted you Dr WOB, didn't mean too.
Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:32 - Aug 3 with 8831 viewsTheArtChappy

I wouldn't blame cusack and freestone, if I remember they were all we could get at the time

The Art Chappy A.K.A Chris Chapman
Poll: should 3pm kick offs be allowed to be brocasted live

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:36 - Aug 3 with 8812 viewsSpratty

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:24 - Aug 3 by Dr_Winston

Thats what foundations are for - building on
Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:37 - Aug 3 with 8808 viewsbermudajack

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:24 - Aug 3 by Dr_Winston

No one can deny that Flynn played a big part in our stability and rise through the divisions, when caos gripped our club and there was uncertainty for our future, he brought in some class players which helped us progress, three of which are still with the club today, (one of which was sold for a staggering £1million at the time)
Consequently 5 managers since have all played a big part in out success story, but the "putting the jigsaw together" all began with Flynn without doubt.

Poll: Priority for new manager?

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:38 - Aug 3 with 8801 viewssunshinehead

I agree Mick, it was a poor state of affairs, shame for Cusack and Freestone.

I wondering if you made it across, do you still do the arts and craft stalls in the market, Gorseinoin was it? My wife does hand made personalised gifts like cushions and buntings and it would be good to get a few pointers as to where she could have an occasional stall?
Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:39 - Aug 3 with 8796 viewsDarran

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 07:59 - Aug 3 by cockneyswan

I understand some people like to live in a sugar candy coated world but I like to live in the real world so here's another FACT for you,Kevin Reeves.

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:47 - Aug 3 with 8778 viewssunshinehead

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:39 - Aug 3 by Darran

I understand some people like to live in a sugar candy coated world but I like to live in the real world so here's another FACT for you,Kevin Reeves.

Kevin reeves was also a big factor in Martinez's success. Him and a huge dollop of extremely good fortune. No surprise he keeps him close to this day.
Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:49 - Aug 3 with 8758 viewsDr_Winston

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:37 - Aug 3 by bermudajack

No one can deny that Flynn played a big part in our stability and rise through the divisions, when caos gripped our club and there was uncertainty for our future, he brought in some class players which helped us progress, three of which are still with the club today, (one of which was sold for a staggering £1million at the time)
Consequently 5 managers since have all played a big part in out success story, but the "putting the jigsaw together" all began with Flynn without doubt.

Who's the third player? I'm drawing a blank.

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:54 - Aug 3 with 8715 viewssunshinehead

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:49 - Aug 3 by Dr_Winston

Who's the third player? I'm drawing a blank.

Probably means Monk, Tate and Britton.
Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:58 - Aug 3 with 8697 viewsDr_Winston

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:54 - Aug 3 by sunshinehead

Wouldn't be the first time someone tried to give Flynn credit for Kenny Jackett's work.

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:58 - Aug 3 with 8697 viewsDarran

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 09:54 - Aug 3 by sunshinehead

Monk was Jackett.

Brian Flynn - his contribution to Swansea City on 10:02 - Aug 3 with 8675 viewssunshinehead

Yeah, but I was assuming that as they all played in all four divisions that Monk was being taken as a Flynn signing. Can't think of anyone else who's gone through all the leagues and still here?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024