Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football today 10:35 - May 4 with 521 viewswessex_exile

Huddersfield Town, the team that literally gave us our blue and white stripes, stand between that shower of shite up the road and automatic promotion to the Premier League. Wouldn’t it be fantastic if the Terriers could pull it off as their parting gift to the Championship, and then Ipshit to lose the play-off final to Nodge.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Football today on 10:48 - May 4 with 504 viewsburnsieespana

It would wessex but can't see it happening.
Football today on 10:59 - May 4 with 500 viewswessex_exile

Football today on 10:48 - May 4 by burnsieespana

It would wessex but can't see it happening.

Sadly you’re probably right Burnsie, but we can dream

Up the U's

Football today on 07:01 - May 5 with 398 viewsnoah4x4

After talking to some jubilant, but concerned casual, non-season ticket holding Ipswich fans in the pub last evening, I think their promotion may do us many favours. Relatively small Portman Road will inevitably enjoy an increase in season ticket numbers while the away accommodation must be enlarged to meet greater demand from the travelling hoards. This will squeeze out many casual football fans that simply want to see a game.

I have always followed my local team, came to Colchester in 2003, and ultimately became an enthusiast, home and away. But whilst an ardent U’s fan, I still take an active interest in Villa, Bristol City and Millwall results and many of the “Col U till I die” brigade perhaps can’t understand this, but maybe they haven’t ever found themselves as a footie fanatic relocating all over the country in pursuit of work.

20+ years ago, I lived with sight of Charlton’s ground in their Premier League era. I had a number of neighbours (e.g. pub acquaintances) that simply wanted to watch decent football. It was impossible to get an on the day of match ticket at the Valley, so our regular Saturday day out was to Millwall FC or perhaps Brentford or Orient, frankly anywhere we could get tickets.

When I first arrived in Colchester, I would alternate between Col U and Ipswich home games, until eventually I fell in with a group of U’s fans, realised my residency in Essex was long term, and nailed my blue & white colours to my wall. I know of a significant number that might (until recently) follow both local clubs, but now won’t get tickets at Portman Road. Others won’t wish to follow the mainstream, and will deliberately support the other local team (us).

I reckon Ipswich success will raise general enthusiasm for all local professional football, and assist our gates, because football enthusiasts won’t be able to secure Ipswich tickets. This momentum will be helped by the Cowley factor and Robbie holding season ticket prices (with additional discount for early birds). I do feel that the Col U revolution predicted by Danny will start in August and the Ipswich promotion will benefit us, especially if Nodge fail in the Play Offs and we become a closer rival, more like Forest and County. Yes, we might suffer some bitter scorn from gloating Ipshite scum, but every cloud has a blue and white lining.
Football today on 09:06 - May 5 with 366 viewswessex_exile

Football today on 07:01 - May 5 by noah4x4

After talking to some jubilant, but concerned casual, non-season ticket holding Ipswich fans in the pub last evening, I think their promotion may do us many favours. Relatively small Portman Road will inevitably enjoy an increase in season ticket numbers while the away accommodation must be enlarged to meet greater demand from the travelling hoards. This will squeeze out many casual football fans that simply want to see a game.

I have always followed my local team, came to Colchester in 2003, and ultimately became an enthusiast, home and away. But whilst an ardent U’s fan, I still take an active interest in Villa, Bristol City and Millwall results and many of the “Col U till I die” brigade perhaps can’t understand this, but maybe they haven’t ever found themselves as a footie fanatic relocating all over the country in pursuit of work.

20+ years ago, I lived with sight of Charlton’s ground in their Premier League era. I had a number of neighbours (e.g. pub acquaintances) that simply wanted to watch decent football. It was impossible to get an on the day of match ticket at the Valley, so our regular Saturday day out was to Millwall FC or perhaps Brentford or Orient, frankly anywhere we could get tickets.

When I first arrived in Colchester, I would alternate between Col U and Ipswich home games, until eventually I fell in with a group of U’s fans, realised my residency in Essex was long term, and nailed my blue & white colours to my wall. I know of a significant number that might (until recently) follow both local clubs, but now won’t get tickets at Portman Road. Others won’t wish to follow the mainstream, and will deliberately support the other local team (us).

I reckon Ipswich success will raise general enthusiasm for all local professional football, and assist our gates, because football enthusiasts won’t be able to secure Ipswich tickets. This momentum will be helped by the Cowley factor and Robbie holding season ticket prices (with additional discount for early birds). I do feel that the Col U revolution predicted by Danny will start in August and the Ipswich promotion will benefit us, especially if Nodge fail in the Play Offs and we become a closer rival, more like Forest and County. Yes, we might suffer some bitter scorn from gloating Ipshite scum, but every cloud has a blue and white lining.

Reckon you’re not wrong there Noah, particularly as Ipswich had already sold out their season tickets last week (20,000 apparently). Once they’ve accommodated 3,000 away fans, that’s only going to leave 5-6,000 at most, and the glory-hunters will soon snap them up. Add in the Cowley Revolution factor, and I won’t be surprised if we move north of a 5,000 average next season.

Up the U's

Football today on 10:30 - May 5 with 343 viewsburnsieespana

Football today on 09:06 - May 5 by wessex_exile

Reckon you’re not wrong there Noah, particularly as Ipswich had already sold out their season tickets last week (20,000 apparently). Once they’ve accommodated 3,000 away fans, that’s only going to leave 5-6,000 at most, and the glory-hunters will soon snap them up. Add in the Cowley Revolution factor, and I won’t be surprised if we move north of a 5,000 average next season.

I saw recently DC wants 2500 season ticket holders which would be roughly a 50% increase.
The extra revenue from increased season tickets and say average attendance of say 5000 will make a considerable difference to our budget I would think.
Football today on 13:39 - May 5 with 302 viewsdurham_exile

Of course the better news is that the Poorman Road side will be relegated after one season to the Championship and after an impressive campaign next year and a trip to Wembley we will be promoted to League One.

Up the Cowley inspired U's

Durham_exile

Football today on 17:30 - May 5 with 266 viewsburnsieespana

Football today on 13:39 - May 5 by durham_exile

Of course the better news is that the Poorman Road side will be relegated after one season to the Championship and after an impressive campaign next year and a trip to Wembley we will be promoted to League One.

Up the Cowley inspired U's

But they ill have lots of money!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024